Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best AGP Pro 50 graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2012 10:34:25 PM

Hello,
I'm restoring an ancient and honorable workstation, and I'm trying to see just how much performance I can wring out of its decade-and-a-bit old hardware. I'm using a PCI-X (not to be confused with PCI-Ex-press) SATA II card to boot from an SSD, and have 6 U320 SCSI drives spinning at 10k stuffed into 2 raid-5 arrays. (It sounds like the Starship Enterprise trying to warp down the hall from my office every time it boots up, I swear) A pair of socket 604 Xeons pulling their little hyper-threading hearts out at 3.2 ghz keep it nice and toasty, but I'm having a hard time picking the right graphics card for this unholy collection of eldritch silicon. The motherboard has an AGP Pro 50 slot, and I'm looking for the mightiest graphics card the Clinton administration had to offer. Can anyone reveal to me last, great champion of the AGP era, or at least point me in the right direction? Much appreciation.

More about : agp pro graphics card

September 13, 2012 11:14:18 PM

Deemo13 said:
Well, I read a little about AGP Pro 50, and it seems like it will take regular AGP cards. The quickest AGP card ever made was the Radeon HD3850 or the Radeon HD4670. Its pretty hard to find a 3850, but the 4670 is available at a high price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Technology-ATI-Radeon-...

Ebay is cheaper of course.

Thank you, sir. I'm thinking that one of those fellows would do nicely, but what I'm really looking for is something that'll take advantage of the "50" part of that AGP Pro 50 standard. I've not had much luck finding anything like that, which is what's brought me to this forum, and, to be fair, is also making me question how valid or significant that two-digit appendage may actually be.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 191 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 5:47:27 AM

I've been trying to figure out what the 50 actually means.

"Low Power AGP Pro cards that consume 25 to 50 Watts of power are classified as AGP Pro50 cards. In addition, the AGP Pro standard calls for at least one PCI slot to remain unoccupied adjacent to the AGP Pro50 card for cooling purposes." -Overclock.net

I don't think the card in there would be that much of a difference. The 4670 and 3850 require external connectors from the power supply anyway.

September 14, 2012 10:25:49 AM

Best answer selected by Kires.
m
l
September 14, 2012 10:29:18 AM

That makes sense; I could never get a clear answer as to what that 50 was all about. I'm going with the HIS Radeon HD 4670. Than-q.
m
l
!