Need to buy a new GPU, need some help.

xVladx

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hello guys, I'm new here, and joined because there seems to be mixed answers everywhere, and biased answers everywhere also...

I can't decide which GPU to buy, since people say AMD's cards are buggy. But nVidia cards are more expensive, and I can't really waste my money on something that won't last me at least some good years, until all the games run on mid-low.

I currently have a GTX280 and it honestly has served me well and ran well most of the games I play, but the only bad side to it is that it doesn't support DX11.

My system is as follows:

Motherboard: Asustek CM-1630 (pretty sure it's this)
CPU: Phenom II 2.8GHz x4
RAM: 6GB
GPU: GTX280
Monitor resolution is 1600x900
PSU: 600W (I think it's a corsair GS600 or something like that)

Budget is anything that after rebate is approx $300, no more than $320 after rebate.

I'm honestly going to say that I lean towards nVidia cards, since it's my preferred brand, but I don't have anything against AMD gpu's since they're really price-friendly. I don't really care which brand of GPU, if it's evga, xfx, asus etc, since I just really want to play games. By games I don't mean any specific games, since I play almost every game that comes out.

I hope you guys can help me decide, also the GPUs I had in mind were the 7950 and the GTX670(or 660TI if it's good enough)

I'd suggest a 7950 for that price region. AMD cards aren't really buggy, had no problem with them. As far as I can tell, hardware problems are pretty much the same between AMD and nvidia. Software wise, AMD is great for everything outside of crossfire setups.

I would actually suggest you upgrade your cpu or OC it. Your resolution isn't too high and a gpu upgrade might not be needed if you do a cpu upgrade. If you really need a new gpu, I'd say the 7850 or 660 is all you'd need for that resolution.

xVladx

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
I think I'm gonna wait until I just get more money to get a GTX670, and in that time its price is bound to go down also (hopefully). I like the GTX660 TI, but I've heard it has low bus memory or something like that. Also my CPU is the next thing after upgrading my GPU, since my CPU seems to be doing alright for now, the only thing is my GPU which is outdated since it doesn't use DX11, only DX9.

It's just that I feel like if I should stick to nVidia GPUs even though I've never really tried any AMD GPUs so I can't really say I've had bad experiences with them.

asalikus

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
If you don't really have the money the performance between 670 and 660ti is about %8 if you get the overclocked edition or overclock it by your self (good cooling solution will cost you $30 more) you can get the performance difference down to maybe %4?