Ultra II CF Card Failures, Two in a Row

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 15, 2005 10:58:27 PM

Wonder if anyone knows of any resource that might confirm what I'm
hearing.....pre-accelerator readers will fry the current r/w accelerated
cards, such as the SanDisk Ultra II 80X CF card?

I failed 2 new cards in the past couple of weeks. The failure appears to be
physical and not logical....recovery software does not recognize the card,
as well as other devices, such as cameras, card readers, etc.

Is anyone aware of any info on reliable web sites (manufacturers, forums)
that might confirm that the "old" readers will fry the new 80X cards?

Thanks, and Cheers,
Jim
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:17:53 AM

"Jim Larkey" <jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> writes:

> Wonder if anyone knows of any resource that might confirm what I'm
> hearing.....pre-accelerator readers will fry the current r/w accelerated
> cards, such as the SanDisk Ultra II 80X CF card?

I have an old CF reader that I put an accelerated card in -- just wouldn't
recognize it. Used my wife's reader, and it read the card fine, so I got a
more recent reader for my Mac, and the card still is working fine (this was
a Christmas present, and we spent 2 weeks on vacation in the French West
Indies, and used the card every day in the camera and downloading to
computer.

> I failed 2 new cards in the past couple of weeks. The failure appears to be

I don't fail my cards. :->

> physical and not logical....recovery software does not recognize the card,
> as well as other devices, such as cameras, card readers, etc.

I assume you've tried formatting the card in camera, and it won't do it? I
always format the cards in the camera, not in the computer (I don't even
erase the card in the computer).

> Is anyone aware of any info on reliable web sites (manufacturers, forums)
> that might confirm that the "old" readers will fry the new 80X cards?

My old reader did not fry the card, just wouldn't see it.

February 16, 2005 4:29:02 AM

SanDisk Ultra II are rated at 60x (not 80x) ~9MB/s and Extreme III are rated at 133x
~20MB/s.

What are "pre-accelerator readers" ?
I use the SanDisk USB 2.0 6 -in- 1 and don't have any problems with any Ultra II CF cards.

I do know that Type I CF readers will not work with the above CF cards.

--
Dave

"Jim Larkey" <jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> wrote in message
| Wonder if anyone knows of any resource that might confirm what I'm
| hearing.....pre-accelerator readers will fry the current r/w accelerated
| cards, such as the SanDisk Ultra II 80X CF card?
|
| I failed 2 new cards in the past couple of weeks. The failure appears to be
| physical and not logical....recovery software does not recognize the card,
| as well as other devices, such as cameras, card readers, etc.
|
| Is anyone aware of any info on reliable web sites (manufacturers, forums)
| that might confirm that the "old" readers will fry the new 80X cards?
|
| Thanks, and Cheers,
| Jim

February 16, 2005 4:29:03 AM

I just ordered a Sandisk Ultra II 512 card. I assume it will work fine in
the camera, but are you telling me my reader may not read it? Actually, my
supplier doesn't even carry the "regular" Sandisk cards anymore.

Any other problems with the Ultra II card?

Sheldon

> SanDisk Ultra II are rated at 60x (not 80x) ~9MB/s and Extreme III are
> rated at 133x
> ~20MB/s.
>
> What are "pre-accelerator readers" ?
> I use the SanDisk USB 2.0 6 -in- 1 and don't have any problems with any
> Ultra II CF cards.
>
> I do know that Type I CF readers will not work with the above CF cards.
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "Jim Larkey" <jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> wrote in message
> | Wonder if anyone knows of any resource that might confirm what I'm
> | hearing.....pre-accelerator readers will fry the current r/w accelerated
> | cards, such as the SanDisk Ultra II 80X CF card?
> |
> | I failed 2 new cards in the past couple of weeks. The failure appears
> to be
> | physical and not logical....recovery software does not recognize the
> card,
> | as well as other devices, such as cameras, card readers, etc.
> |
> | Is anyone aware of any info on reliable web sites (manufacturers,
> forums)
> | that might confirm that the "old" readers will fry the new 80X cards?
> |
> | Thanks, and Cheers,
> | Jim

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:29:04 AM

Sheldon wrote:
> I just ordered a Sandisk Ultra II 512 card. I assume it will work
> fine in the camera, but are you telling me my reader may not read it?
> Actually, my supplier doesn't even carry the "regular" Sandisk cards
> anymore.
> Any other problems with the Ultra II card?
>
> Sheldon

>> SanDisk Ultra II are rated at 60x (not 80x) ~9MB/s and Extreme III
>> are rated at 133x
>> ~20MB/s.
>>
>> What are "pre-accelerator readers" ?
>> I use the SanDisk USB 2.0 6 -in- 1 and don't have any problems with
>> any Ultra II CF cards.
>>
>> I do know that Type I CF readers will not work with the above CF
>> cards. --
>> Dave
>>

>> "Jim Larkey" <jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> wrote in message
>>> Wonder if anyone knows of any resource that might confirm what I'm
>>> hearing.....pre-accelerator readers will fry the current r/w
>>> accelerated cards, such as the SanDisk Ultra II 80X CF card?
>>>
>>> I failed 2 new cards in the past couple of weeks. The failure
>>> appears to be physical and not logical....recovery software does
>>> not recognize the card, as well as other devices, such as cameras,
>>> card readers, etc. Is anyone aware of any info on reliable web sites
>>> (manufacturers,
>>> forums) that might confirm that the "old" readers will fry the new
>>> 80X cards?

I have two much-read 512 Ultra IIs and a twice-read Extreme 2GB, and
have run 512 and 1GB Lexar 40x and 80x cards, all through the same
reader, no ill effects of that nature on any of the cards.

The reader came installed on a computer I bought 14 months ago, and was
probably state-of-the-art minus two or three at that point. Is that old
enough?

What was the source of 'what you're hearing'?

--
Frank ess
"There are some aspects of existence that simply do not yield to

> What was the source of 'what you're hearing'?

See the next post!
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:29:06 AM

Sheldon wrote:
>> What was the source of 'what you're hearing'?
>>

> See the next post!

Sorry. Once read they're gone.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Sheldon:

No you should have no problems I have several Ultra II and they work great.

Just make sure your CF Reader reads both Type I and Type II CF cards.

--
Dave

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message
| I just ordered a Sandisk Ultra II 512 card. I assume it will work fine in
| the camera, but are you telling me my reader may not read it? Actually, my
| supplier doesn't even carry the "regular" Sandisk cards anymore.
|
| Any other problems with the Ultra II card?
|
| Sheldon

| > SanDisk Ultra II are rated at 60x (not 80x) ~9MB/s and Extreme III are
| > rated at 133x
| > ~20MB/s.
| >
| > What are "pre-accelerator readers" ?
| > I use the SanDisk USB 2.0 6 -in- 1 and don't have any problems with any
| > Ultra II CF cards.
| >
| > I do know that Type I CF readers will not work with the above CF cards.
| >
| > --
| > Dave
| >

| > "Jim Larkey" <jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> wrote in message
| > | Wonder if anyone knows of any resource that might confirm what I'm
| > | hearing.....pre-accelerator readers will fry the current r/w accelerated
| > | cards, such as the SanDisk Ultra II 80X CF card?
| > |
| > | I failed 2 new cards in the past couple of weeks. The failure appears
| > to be
| > | physical and not logical....recovery software does not recognize the
| > card,
| > | as well as other devices, such as cameras, card readers, etc.
| > |
| > | Is anyone aware of any info on reliable web sites (manufacturers,
| > forums)
| > | that might confirm that the "old" readers will fry the new 80X cards?
| > |
| > | Thanks, and Cheers,
| > | Jim
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:50:38 AM

Thanks for all your comments. I'll try to answer below.....

I've talked with tech support at SanDisk and Zio. Both offered my "old" USB
Microtech Cameramate type 1&2 reader as incompatible with the Ultra II
accelerated cards.

The incompatiblity goes beyond just not being able to read. Sandisk
indicated that the CF card is physically (fried) damaged, and not logical.
There my photos are totally lost....not recoverable with recovery software,
which by the way I tried.

Both cards are not recognized by my 20D and 1G. They error out. No
opportunity to reformat. On the PC, the bootup stalls for 15 minutes while
trying to recognize the card read, than device is not available.

I continue to use the card reader on my Microdrive, old Sandisk, Kingston,
and Viking CF cards.

So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts your
photos at risk...like no recovery.

So, are these just flakey tech support (Sandisk, Zio) reps, or is this real?

Cheers,
Jim
February 16, 2005 10:15:47 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:50:38 -0500, "Jim Larkey"
<jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> wrote:

>Thanks for all your comments. I'll try to answer below.....
>
>I've talked with tech support at SanDisk and Zio. Both offered my "old" USB
>Microtech Cameramate type 1&2 reader as incompatible with the Ultra II
>accelerated cards.
>
>The incompatiblity goes beyond just not being able to read. Sandisk
>indicated that the CF card is physically (fried) damaged, and not logical.
>There my photos are totally lost....not recoverable with recovery software,
>which by the way I tried.
>
>Both cards are not recognized by my 20D and 1G. They error out. No
>opportunity to reformat. On the PC, the bootup stalls for 15 minutes while
>trying to recognize the card read, than device is not available.
>
>I continue to use the card reader on my Microdrive, old Sandisk, Kingston,
>and Viking CF cards.
>
>So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
>predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts your
>photos at risk...like no recovery.
>
>So, are these just flakey tech support (Sandisk, Zio) reps, or is this real?
>
>Cheers,
>Jim

I don't know, I think I'd just scrape up the $40 or so and buy a new
reader.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:19:49 PM

"Jim Larkey" <jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> writes:

> I've talked with tech support at SanDisk and Zio. Both offered my "old" USB
> Microtech Cameramate type 1&2 reader as incompatible with the Ultra II
> accelerated cards.

I believe that's true.

> The incompatiblity goes beyond just not being able to read. Sandisk
> indicated that the CF card is physically (fried) damaged, and not logical.
> There my photos are totally lost....not recoverable with recovery software,
> which by the way I tried.

With regard to type I and type II, see
http://www.compactflash.org/faqs/faq.htm#What_is

A google of the difference between I and II is that the _only_ difference
is the thickness.

As to Write Accelerated cards,
http://www.dphoto.us/news/node/view/347
gives a press release of the new Extreme III cards, then the fastest in
the world. There is no mention of lack of backward compatibility with older
hardware.

Rob Galbraith's site at
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...
mentions only that the speed is a function of faster flash memory. He
mentions no lack of backwards compatibility with old hardware.

I would urge you to post your experience in his forum at
http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
to see what the consensus is there.

> Both cards are not recognized by my 20D and 1G. They error out. No
> opportunity to reformat. On the PC, the bootup stalls for 15 minutes while
> trying to recognize the card read, than device is not available.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'd keep the cards while parsing out what the error
is. I assume they have the lifetime warranty? I'd put Sandisk on notice of
the claim, letting them know you're holding onto the cards while finding
out if you got good answers to your questions.

>SNIP<
> So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
> predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts your
> photos at risk...like no recovery.

Just to confirm, I have a Lexar 1GB WA 80x card, which I put into a USB
card reader (make and model uknown, as I replaced it and tossed it) which
would not read the card. It never showed up on my desk top. Putting that
card in my wife's Lexar FireWire reader mounted it on the computer, and all
was fine. I have since gotten a new reader, and the CF card has worked fine
since I got it for Christmas.

If Sandisks are different from Lexars, I'll be very surprised. If that's
the case, something needs to be said about it on Galbraith's site.

February 16, 2005 3:21:07 PM

Ditto !

--
Dave

"Drifter" <zespectre@askme.com> wrote in message

| I don't know, I think I'd just scrape up the $40 or so and buy a new
| reader.
|

| Drifter
| "I've been here, I've been there..."
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:21:08 PM

The photos that were lost, and potential photos could be lost (vacation,
family occassions) are priceless.

I've remedied the 2 failed cards, and the reader issue. The reason I'm
posting is to advise others that the tech support rep's of a reputable CF
card mfgr. are saying that the loss of photos could happen to others with
old readers.

I'm already down the road with the solution, just looking for verification
of tech support opinion.

Thanks for your comments,
Jim
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:46:56 PM

Thanks Phil for the wealth of information, and sharing your experience.
Sounds like there might be some truth in what the Sandisk rep said.

I tried yesterday to register, and emailed Mike Sturk-robgalbraith.com
forums moderator, regarding problems with accepting my password/verify
password. I just cannot get their site to accept my password(s)....tried
alot of them. Mike gave up, and so did I.

I agree that something should be posted on robgalbraith.com

Seems that the mfgrs ought to be a little more up front about the nature on
incompatibility, if indeed pre-accelerator readers are incompatible with the
new accelerator cards. The nature of incompatibility, as I found goes
beyond just not recognizing the device. I lost about 2 dozen photos, none
of which were really very valuable.

My concern is for the loss of vacation pics, either mine or other users.
Sure can fit a lot of pics on one of those 1GB cards. I've got a new reader
coming, but it seems that this issue is still lurking out there.

Thanks again Phil for your useful post. I will spend some time digesting
your suggested resources.

Cheers,
Jim
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:48:23 PM

> So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
> predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts
> your
> photos at risk...like no recovery.
>
> So, are these just flakey tech support (Sandisk, Zio) reps, or is this
> real?

The problem I see with this "conclusion" (from Sandisk) is that it leaves
open the likelihood that a (or many) particular cameras themselves might
interface in a similar way as an older reader, thus damaging the card. Yet
nobody's claiming that might happen?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> Thanks for all your comments. I'll try to answer below.....
>
> I've talked with tech support at SanDisk and Zio. Both offered my "old"
> USB
> Microtech Cameramate type 1&2 reader as incompatible with the Ultra II
> accelerated cards.
>
> The incompatiblity goes beyond just not being able to read. Sandisk
> indicated that the CF card is physically (fried) damaged, and not logical.
> There my photos are totally lost....not recoverable with recovery
> software,
> which by the way I tried.
>
> Both cards are not recognized by my 20D and 1G. They error out. No
> opportunity to reformat. On the PC, the bootup stalls for 15 minutes
> while
> trying to recognize the card read, than device is not available.
>
> I continue to use the card reader on my Microdrive, old Sandisk, Kingston,
> and Viking CF cards.
>
> So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
> predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts
> your
> photos at risk...like no recovery.
>
> So, are these just flakey tech support (Sandisk, Zio) reps, or is this
> real?
>
> Cheers,
> Jim

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:48:24 PM

That's a good point Mike, I wish I would have thought of that when talking
with the Sandisk rep.

This really get bazaar.....they said that using my IBM Microdrive on
Sandisk's new CF readers will "fry the reader" (excessive current drain) and
using the Ultra IIs on my Microtech reader will "fry the cards". Looks like
I'll have to install 2 readers, one for MD and other for CFs.

Cheers,
Jim

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
> > predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts
> > your
> > photos at risk...like no recovery.
> >
> > So, are these just flakey tech support (Sandisk, Zio) reps, or is this
> > real?
>
> The problem I see with this "conclusion" (from Sandisk) is that it leaves
> open the likelihood that a (or many) particular cameras themselves might
> interface in a similar way as an older reader, thus damaging the card. Yet
> nobody's claiming that might happen?
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:11:12 PM

Capice !

--

| The photos that were lost, and potential photos could be lost (vacation,
| family occassions) are priceless.
|
| I've remedied the 2 failed cards, and the reader issue. The reason I'm
| posting is to advise others that the tech support rep's of a reputable CF
| card mfgr. are saying that the loss of photos could happen to others with
| old readers.
|
| I'm already down the road with the solution, just looking for verification
| of tech support opinion.
|
| Thanks for your comments,
| Jim

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:50:10 PM

I just tried a Sandisk II CF card in a Kodak PCMCIA reader in my notebook.
This think can't be the latest reader as I only paid $10 for it new. Reads
the card just fine. No warnings of any kind on the Sandisk packaging.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
>> predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts
>> your
>> photos at risk...like no recovery.
>>
>> So, are these just flakey tech support (Sandisk, Zio) reps, or is this
>> real?
>
> The problem I see with this "conclusion" (from Sandisk) is that it leaves
> open the likelihood that a (or many) particular cameras themselves might
> interface in a similar way as an older reader, thus damaging the card. Yet
> nobody's claiming that might happen?
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

> "Jim Larkey" <jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for all your comments. I'll try to answer below.....
>>
>> I've talked with tech support at SanDisk and Zio. Both offered my "old"
>> USB
>> Microtech Cameramate type 1&2 reader as incompatible with the Ultra II
>> accelerated cards.
>>
>> The incompatiblity goes beyond just not being able to read. Sandisk
>> indicated that the CF card is physically (fried) damaged, and not
>> logical.
>> There my photos are totally lost....not recoverable with recovery
>> software,
>> which by the way I tried.
>>
>> Both cards are not recognized by my 20D and 1G. They error out. No
>> opportunity to reformat. On the PC, the bootup stalls for 15 minutes
>> while
>> trying to recognize the card read, than device is not available.
>>
>> I continue to use the card reader on my Microdrive, old Sandisk,
>> Kingston,
>> and Viking CF cards.
>>
>> So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
>> predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts
>> your
>> photos at risk...like no recovery.
>>
>> So, are these just flakey tech support (Sandisk, Zio) reps, or is this
>> real?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jim

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:38:51 PM

Jim Larkey wrote:

> Seems that the mfgrs ought to be a little more up front about the
nature on
> incompatibility, if indeed pre-accelerator readers are incompatible
with the
> new accelerator cards.

You can't stamp "CF" on the product without it conforming to the
published interface.

http://www.compactflash.org/

My initial assessment of your claims:

1. the "mfgrs" test their hardware for backwards compatibility (for
_very_ good reasons), and the hardware passes these tests before being
put into a box for sale.

2. your card reader is probably (if not certainly) defective.

> The nature of incompatibility, as I found
goes
> beyond just not recognizing the device. I lost about 2 dozen photos,
none
> of which were really very valuable.

What? But in another posting you say that

>The photos that __were__ lost, and potential photos could be
>lost (vacation, family occassions) are priceless.

Emphasis added. So "were" the images you lost priceless or "were" they
not?

> My concern is for the loss of vacation pics, either mine or other
users.
> Sure can fit a lot of pics on one of those 1GB cards. I've got a new
reader
> coming, but it seems that this issue is still lurking out there.

You have one "coming"? I could have a new reader in my hand within 20
minutes, and many people reading this are in a similar situation. Do
you live on the Moon perhaps?

> Thanks again Phil for your useful post. I will spend some time
digesting
> your suggested resources.

But wait: how could you have a new reader "coming" without first
"digesting" the references? If your claims of incompatibility are
correct, for all you know the new reader is just as bad as your current
one.

Basically, for these reasons and the general tone, you sound like a
typical FUDster troll. Do you even own a Sandisk CF card? Is your
single failure (even if it exists), in a field of millions upon
millions of successes really grounds for demanding the "mfgrs" be more
"upfront" about alledged "incompatibilities"?
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 2:06:27 AM

In article <3qekfgs46i.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>,
Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote:
>"Jim Larkey" <jimlarkey@REMOVETHISvoyager.net> writes:

[ ... ]

>>SNIP<
>> So what I've heard from Sandisk, is that if you have an old reader that
>> predates the accelerated card era, using it on an accelerated card puts your
>> photos at risk...like no recovery.
>
>Just to confirm, I have a Lexar 1GB WA 80x card, which I put into a USB
>card reader (make and model uknown, as I replaced it and tossed it) which
>would not read the card. It never showed up on my desk top. Putting that
>card in my wife's Lexar FireWire reader mounted it on the computer, and all
>was fine. I have since gotten a new reader, and the CF card has worked fine
>since I got it for Christmas.

As another data point, I also have the same Lexar cards (1GB,
WA, 80x), which I use in my Nikon D70. I had been reading it in a
little five-way reader which connects to a Windows box via USB, but I
always prefer to work in unix if I can, so I now can. The Sun Sbus
PCMCIA card adaptor does not work with large sizes -- but -- an
interesting alternative popped up (found by a friend in a used computer
which he got). It is a SPYRUS "RD400 Internal Reader", which is a
floppy sized package which connects to the SCSI bus used by the Suns.
It occupies two SCSI IDs (one for each socket). I plug the flash cards
into it using a "SanDisk CompactFlash PC Card Adaptor" (other brands
work just as well -- this happens to be the one which I had handy when
testing it came around).

The main trick turned out to be figuring the proper syntax for
mounting the flash cards. I put these two lines into my /etc/vfstab
(the file which controls mounting all kinds of filesystems):

/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0:c - /fc0 pcfs - no rw,foldcase
/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0:c - /fc1 pcfs - no rw,foldcase

(the "foldcase" means that my filenames all come in lower case, as I
prefer, not upper case, as is the old MS-DOS practice.)

The name of the devices to mount "/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0:c" and
"/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0:c" were not documented, and it took a while to figure
them out.

However, now, I can read the disks directly in my Sun machine.

I hope that this may be some help to others who would like to
read these cards in a Sun. (It also works with the old PCMCIA hard
disks which my N90s/NC2000e (Nikon/Kodak hybrid) requires.)

>If Sandisks are different from Lexars, I'll be very surprised. If that's
>the case, something needs to be said about it on Galbraith's site.

I wonder whether I will be able to read the SanDisk flash cards without
damage. This may be sufficient reason to stick with the Lexar cards.

Thanks for the warning,
DoN.