Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Radeion HD5450 in Acer Aspire AX3810 for 2nd display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2012 2:19:44 AM

Hi Folks,

Based on other recommendations I purchased a Radeon HD5450 card for my Acer Aspire AX3810-U1802 desktop machine so that I can run a second monitor.

The card installed just fine as did the drivers, but now the onboard video is disabled when I plug a monitor into the Radeon card. I can use one or the other, but not both.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Chris
September 14, 2012 2:55:27 AM

When you add a gpu, your onboard graphics are disabled. They can be re-enabled apparently, but I can't find the thread that details how this is done. And if memory serves, it was a bit tricky to impliment. But if you're only running 2 monitors, why aren't you connecting them both to the HD5450? It supports upto 3 monitors.
Good luck.
m
l
September 14, 2012 2:26:48 PM

Hi LBD,

Thank you for your reply. I tried hooking both monitors up to the card, but it won't recognize both at the same time.

One is a 28" I-Inc and the other is an 18" NEC, both area LCD.

I've only tried using DVI or HDMI connections because its a half height board and the VGA plug doesn't fit.

How do I get both to work with the Radeon card?

a little black duck said:
When you add a gpu, your onboard graphics are disabled. They can be re-enabled apparently, but I can't find the thread that details how this is done. And if memory serves, it was a bit tricky to impliment. But if you're only running 2 monitors, why aren't you connecting them both to the HD5450? It supports upto 3 monitors.
Good luck.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 15, 2012 1:49:31 AM

Hmm, very odd. Windows should recognise that 2 monitors are connected. Does the windows control panel detect both monitors when they're connected? Connect both monitors and click 'detect'. Still no joy, try connecting 1 monitor to 1 of the gpu I/O ports. Then try the same monitor on a different gpu I/O. Not working? (insert favourite cuss word) Looks like a dead I/O port and you'll need to figure out how to use that vga port. Working? Great, it's a configuration issue (probably, lol). Back to control panel/display/screen resolution. Should see 2 monitors, if not, hit 'detect'. Select the 1st monitor and set it's native resolution and orientation, repeat for monitor 2. After setting resolution and orientation, select the 4th drop down box and select 'Extend to this display' if you want 1 large desktop or 'Duplicate to this display' if you want to mirror what's on your main display.
Good luck.
September 15, 2012 8:22:44 PM

OK, so the configuration that is working currently (Desktop Extension mode) is that I re-connected the VGA port that came with the Radeon card (its just hanging out the back of the cpu case) and have the NEC 18" screen connected to that. Both the Windows control panel and Radeons Catalyst Control Center recognize the second monitor and let me make adjustments.

I wish I could figure out why it won't recognize it via the DVI connection which I'd rather use. The NEC monitor has a VGA and DVI port, but so far only the VGA works. I suppose there could be an issue with the DVI port on the NEC.

Maybe I'll try a different DVI cable and a spare 18" LCD that is configured the same as the NEC (VGA & DVI) to rule out the bad DVI issue on either end, card or monitor.

Any other ideas?

C

a little black duck said:
Hmm, very odd. Windows should recognise that 2 monitors are connected. Does the windows control panel detect both monitors when they're connected? Connect both monitors and click 'detect'. Still no joy, try connecting 1 monitor to 1 of the gpu I/O ports. Then try the same monitor on a different gpu I/O. Not working? (insert favourite cuss word) Looks like a dead I/O port and you'll need to figure out how to use that vga port. Working? Great, it's a configuration issue (probably, lol). Back to control panel/display/screen resolution. Should see 2 monitors, if not, hit 'detect'. Select the 1st monitor and set it's native resolution and orientation, repeat for monitor 2. After setting resolution and orientation, select the 4th drop down box and select 'Extend to this display' if you want 1 large desktop or 'Duplicate to this display' if you want to mirror what's on your main display.
Good luck.

m
l
September 16, 2012 9:26:53 PM

OK, so I'm trying a new DVI cable (DVI-D single link) and using the DVI port on the Radeon card to the second monitor, NEC 18" LCD.

The second monitor alone is working, no signal is going to the main screen via the HDMI port on the card. The VGA port on the card is still connected, but it did this same thing when it was disconnected as well.

I'm debating if trying another monitor is even worth it.

So results so far are:

HDMI works alone
HDMI & VGA work together
DVI works alone
VGA works alone

Maybe I'll try hooking the main on the DVI and the second on the VGA next.

C
m
l
September 16, 2012 9:41:54 PM

OK, now I'm using the DVI connection (via a DVI to HDMI cable) on the main monitor and the VGA connection to the second. A configuration that according to someone else's response on another thread is NOT supposed to be possible.

Eh, I'm happy with this configuration. Problem solved...

Thanks LBD,

Chris
m
l
September 16, 2012 9:42:07 PM

Best answer selected by scalhotrod.
m
l
!