Your question

TCP/IP on LAN

Tags:
  • LAN
  • TCP/IP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
August 1, 2001 6:12:53 PM

Right now im using IPX protocol for my LAN, but for some games, its required to use TCP/IP... but for some crazy reason my new computer will take an extra 2 min to boot up with that protocol installed! It drives me nuts. My athlon600 will boot up slower than my old pentium150!
I only have this problem in win98se, not in win2K (have dualboot), but 98 is the only solution for games. Im no expert when it comes to networking, but I believe the TCP/IP may be looking for more devices/servers/computers to connect to?

Right now Im using (2) SMZ EZnet 10/100 network cards connecting through a SMC 10/100 5 port dual-speed switch
I hope someone can help me, id really appreciate it, ive been having this problem for months now :( 

More about : tcp lan

August 1, 2001 6:28:53 PM

What games do you play? I've played games over a LAN with W2k with no problems whatsoever.
Oops, I lied. There's one bug in Red Alert 2 that hinders your playing it with more than one W2k system in the game. I don't know if there's a patch yet.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:
Anonymous
August 1, 2001 7:36:23 PM

This problem is most likely caused by your system trying to access a DHCP network server to obtain an IP address for your computer. You can determine if your computer is setup to obtain an address automatically by looking in the TCP/IP Properties dialogue box in Control Panel > Networks. In here you will see Obtain an IP address automatically has been selected.

To speed up the restart procedure you can choose Specify an IP address and enter your IP address and subnet Mask but ONLY if your network/ ISP supports this method.

ignore everything i say
Related resources
August 13, 2001 9:17:25 PM

I dont think he uses a lan to share an internet connection or else TCP/IP would have already been installed and configured. so he has to set up tcp /ip with private network parameters. the subnet mask should be manually set to 255.255.255.0 and the IP addresses set to 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, and so on.... "networks" dont care about protocols, so dont worry about "support" for tcp/ip. Connections do though. but I dont think you have one, and this will allow you to connect to each other.
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...
Anonymous
August 13, 2001 10:30:18 PM

Quote:
I dont think he uses a lan to share an internet connection or else TCP/IP would have already been installed and configured

thats really my point. he does not have a DHCP server, yet the protocol is searching for one. thats why it takes so long to boot. this is a well documented issue in win 98.

Quote:
the subnet mask should be manually set to 255.255.255.0 and the IP addresses set to 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, and so on

Thats what i was saying when i told him to set his ip address manually, rather than have the pc 'obtain an ip address automatically'........

Quote:
networks" dont care about protocols, so dont worry about "support" for tcp/ip. Connections do though. but I dont think you have one, and this will allow you to connect to each other.

im not sure what you meant here, but long boot times are almost always attributed to the issue i have outlined.....i really dont understand if you are disagreeing with me or not.....

ignore everything i say
August 13, 2001 11:20:09 PM

I was agreeing with you, I was just clarifying/expanding on some things. I just felt someone that did not realize they were looking to dhcp would know this information.
-k :) 

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...
!