Stargate Universe=Star Trek DS9?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Does anyone else think that the overall show format from Stargate Universe is remarkably similar to Star Trek DS9?

They went from an action/exploration theme in SG-1, to a small scene character study that focuses more internally on the characters than externally on the exploration.

Personally I think this is how Star Trek was killed off--DS9 just turned it into a Sci Fi soap opera instead of an exploration/action show. I really want to watch them explore new worlds... not work out their emotional issues with each other.

Yyrd

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
hope not to flame. but star trek was never about the action. its about the DRAMA.

and your correct Universe is a soap. hell i make this claim abiout Heros once and seems the whole world flamed~!. risky to make this call.

universe seems to lack any the action sg1 or Atlantis had. i loved the series and doubt it will last as long as alantis did. I don't like the Sex scenes , need to keep that crap off TV IMHO. sure kids love it. i doubt adults care.

maybe they will gain control of the ship and become a crack-team of experts next year and shoot-em-up evil-nazi-alliens.

killing Nazi-aliens always brings in cheers. still have mixed feelings about universe, don't sure if i like it. really.

Got sick of catching bits and pieces off the SciFi channel so I bought the entire Stargate series on DVD.

My favorite is Stargate Atlantis 5 full seasons, however Stargate SG1 is definitely what started the whole thing for me, but I'm most partial to the first 8 seasons with Jack Oneills involvement, SG1 seasons 9 & 10 just was missing something to me.

So far Stargate Universe is like a fish out of water, flopping around on the beach gasping for air, reminds me of the Battlestar Galactica remake which some raved over, but I personally thought was a total crap disappointment! (My Opinion)

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
I still think that TNG was the best out of both series then probably SG1. I loved the original ST but it is very dated and DS9 had too many story lines. Voyager is ok and I never got into the newer stargate series. I might try Atlantis again. And Enterprise didn't make a whole lot of sense.
Dave