Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Over 2TB HD?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 25, 2009 10:46:41 AM

With vista (x64) I have a 2.7TB raid 5 disk that is not recognized from the system due to his capacity, over the (dumb) 2TB limit. I was wandering if that problem is solvable by upgrading to windows 7.
Else I got to try windows server, will I be able to run games on windows server? Will I have a loss of performance?
Thanks in advance

More about : 2tb

May 25, 2009 11:49:30 AM

You could just cut back on the number of drives in your RAID, or replace them with smaller ones.

Not sure what the max capacity is in Windows 7, all I can say for certain is that it's over 1.5 TB.
May 25, 2009 11:53:07 AM

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does one store on a 2.7 TB drive? Isn't that like, oh, maybe big enough to hold all the knowledge of mankind since the dawn of time? :) 

Reminds me of our office's 2nd IBM PC-AT with it's incredible 40 MB! hard drive. Due to the then FAT66 file system (DOS, of course), the drive had to be split into a 32 MB partition and another of 8 MB.
Related resources
May 25, 2009 12:01:32 PM

Hey, that's the only reason that I haven't built a 4 or 5 TB RAID. What would I do with it? Come to think of it, that's the only reason I haven't built a small Beowulf cluster either.
May 25, 2009 12:14:38 PM

Actually I have > 2 TB of data, so it is a problem to me. If you don't know how to fill it it's OT, I do know.
And no, I couldn't reduce in any way the number of disk, or their size, in fact I'll have to expand it to 3.6 TB soon.
The vista cap is 2TB, for sure Windows 7 will be able to keep 2TB, but i need more. Else I have to go for the server.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2009 8:56:33 PM

Vista supports >2TB, you just need to use GPT.
May 25, 2009 10:37:29 PM

Ow nice, i didn't knew GPT before, now I've just to check how to implement it.. thanks!
May 25, 2009 11:13:46 PM

Still I'm not done with it. If i disable the raid 5 i see all the 4 disks, and I may even use them, but if i re-enable the raid 5, not even DISKPART sees the raid 5, and I don't know why, (probably because > 2TB).
So I can't convert it to GPT now by now..
With Vista non-SP1 I was detecting it as 746GB MBR disk, but at least it was detected, than modificable to GPT...
!