Over 2TB HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kzylorda

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
With vista (x64) I have a 2.7TB raid 5 disk that is not recognized from the system due to his capacity, over the (dumb) 2TB limit. I was wandering if that problem is solvable by upgrading to windows 7.
Else I got to try windows server, will I be able to run games on windows server? Will I have a loss of performance?
Thanks in advance

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
You could just cut back on the number of drives in your RAID, or replace them with smaller ones.

Not sure what the max capacity is in Windows 7, all I can say for certain is that it's over 1.5 TB.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Just out of curiosity, what exactly does one store on a 2.7 TB drive? Isn't that like, oh, maybe big enough to hold all the knowledge of mankind since the dawn of time? :)

Reminds me of our office's 2nd IBM PC-AT with it's incredible 40 MB! hard drive. Due to the then FAT66 file system (DOS, of course), the drive had to be split into a 32 MB partition and another of 8 MB.

Kzylorda

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Actually I have > 2 TB of data, so it is a problem to me. If you don't know how to fill it it's OT, I do know.
And no, I couldn't reduce in any way the number of disk, or their size, in fact I'll have to expand it to 3.6 TB soon.
The vista cap is 2TB, for sure Windows 7 will be able to keep 2TB, but i need more. Else I have to go for the server.

Kzylorda

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Still I'm not done with it. If i disable the raid 5 i see all the 4 disks, and I may even use them, but if i re-enable the raid 5, not even DISKPART sees the raid 5, and I don't know why, (probably because > 2TB).
So I can't convert it to GPT now by now..
With Vista non-SP1 I was detecting it as 746GB MBR disk, but at least it was detected, than modificable to GPT...

Status
Not open for further replies.