BF2 on a budget- which video card to buy?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 18, 2005 11:35:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 4x AGP, 1G DDRAM and I've got about
$150 to spend on a new video card. At Fry's Electronics I found for that
price a Diamond 9600 XT 256M and an ATI 9800 Pro 128M. There were also a
couple of Nvidia cards in that price range but I don't remember the
numbers.

Newegg also has a number in the range but most are brands I haven't
heard of: Sapphire, Jaton etc. Are those any good?

Looking for suggestions on the best choice in that price range.
June 19, 2005 6:46:09 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:35:06 -0700, Jerry <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 4x AGP, 1G DDRAM and I've got about
>$150 to spend on a new video card. At Fry's Electronics I found for that
>price a Diamond 9600 XT 256M and an ATI 9800 Pro 128M. There were also a
>couple of Nvidia cards in that price range but I don't remember the
>numbers.
>
>Newegg also has a number in the range but most are brands I haven't
>heard of: Sapphire, Jaton etc. Are those any good?
>
>Looking for suggestions on the best choice in that price range.

(about 150 US?)

Might want to check out

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13490&vpn...

http://www.bfgtech.com/6600GT.html

I just bought the card and should get it by Wednesday. I've heard
nothing but positive reviews and BFG has a lifetime warranty
June 19, 2005 6:57:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:46:09 GMT, Mikey <Hill.B@shadowrealm.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:35:06 -0700, Jerry <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 4x AGP, 1G DDRAM and I've got about
>>$150 to spend on a new video card. At Fry's Electronics I found for that
>>price a Diamond 9600 XT 256M and an ATI 9800 Pro 128M. There were also a
>>couple of Nvidia cards in that price range but I don't remember the
>>numbers.
>>
>>Newegg also has a number in the range but most are brands I haven't
>>heard of: Sapphire, Jaton etc. Are those any good?
>>
>>Looking for suggestions on the best choice in that price range.
>>
>(about 150 US?)
>
>Might want to check out
>
>http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13490&vpn...
>
>http://www.bfgtech.com/6600GT.html
>
>I just bought the card and should get it by Wednesday. I've heard
>nothing but positive reviews and BFG has a lifetime warranty

Doh... They seem to have the wrong price

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.php?majorcatid=10...
and look at the BFG product line (should be a 25.00 instant rebate and
another 40.00 mail in rebate)
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2005 10:04:12 AM

Jerry wrote:
> I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 4x AGP, 1G DDRAM and I've got about
> $150 to spend on a new video card. At Fry's Electronics I found for that
> price a Diamond 9600 XT 256M and an ATI 9800 Pro 128M. There were also a
> couple of Nvidia cards in that price range but I don't remember the
> numbers.
>
> Newegg also has a number in the range but most are brands I haven't
> heard of: Sapphire, Jaton etc. Are those any good?
>
> Looking for suggestions on the best choice in that price range.
Check out newegg for the 6600GT - after rebate you can get one for about
150 (I just got one) ALTHOUGH - I recently read some bf2 benchmarks and
for some nutty reasont the ATI's seem to rule this game (The x700E which
is the same price/less than the 6600GT runs the game as fast/faster than
a 6800GT!) I'm hoping this is a driver thing b/c the 6600GT beats the
x700 in other games.

Bob
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2005 4:56:20 PM

Jerry wrote:
> I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 4x AGP, 1G DDRAM and I've got about
> $150 to spend on a new video card. At Fry's Electronics I found for that
> price a Diamond 9600 XT 256M and an ATI 9800 Pro 128M. There were also a
> couple of Nvidia cards in that price range but I don't remember the
> numbers.
>
> Newegg also has a number in the range but most are brands I haven't
> heard of: Sapphire, Jaton etc. Are those any good?
>
> Looking for suggestions on the best choice in that price range.
as a battlefield player and in general I would avoid ati products.
nVidia is the current king of cards. try for the highest number you can
and make sure you get at least a 128 mb card. but Iwould save and try
for a better card still as a 150.oo usd card will need replacement in a
year at best. a top of the line agp card might cost 500 bucks but when
you consider it will play games for most of the next three years it
works out to the 150.00 per year your looking at now anyway. the benefit
being you get great performance that dwindles to acceptable, and no
hassles with replacing hardware every year opposed to merely acceptable
to begin with and having to replace it every year. TO be frank with you
computer hardware isn't really supposed to be useful for more then 18-24
months. Think Moore's law, computing power doubles every 18 months. you
can last about twice that before you find yourself trying to connect to
games and the online community with the equvilent of two tin cans some
string and a few smoke signals... Consider a second or better job and
aim a bit higher.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2005 2:33:07 AM

Jerry wrote:
> I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 4x AGP, 1G DDRAM and I've got about
> $150 to spend on a new video card. At Fry's Electronics I found for that
> price a Diamond 9600 XT 256M and an ATI 9800 Pro 128M.

Both will work fine. Try to get a Nvidia 6600GT, it should just squeze
under $150.

regards,

Achtung Ecco
June 20, 2005 2:33:08 AM

yeah,go nvidia.but i would advise against
top of the line cards as you will likely be
upgrading to a pci-x mobo within the next
couple of years and your high dollar agp
card will be obsolete.just a thought.

--
solomon
solomon's Profile: http://www.mhogaming.com/forums/member.php?userid=27

I'm wondering the same question, bf2 doesn't work on my system and I'm
guessing my card isn't supported, I have an athlon xp 1700+, 512mb DDR
& a 64mb GF3 Ti 200, guess BF2 might be the catalyst that causes me to
upgrade my system as it still works well enough for all my other needs,
if I upgraded to say an athlon 2400, 128mb video & 1G DDR would there
then be a serious bottleneck on my mobo?? right now I'm running an Asus
a7v 266e.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2005 2:33:05 PM

You have my OLD MOBO. It was a great Mobo. Only upgraded for 200FSB
and a Mobile 2500 compatible board.

Sata and firwire and raid were also good :)

!