Ultra ATA problems

Anders

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004

Hi!

I have problems runnings my disk a Maxtor 200 gig Diamond
9 plus 8mb cache in ATA 100/133 i.e Ultra DMA MOde 5...

I have done the following:

My mainboard is Abit IC7-Max3 and I've used a IDE ATA 133-
cable which was included with the mainboard. I've
connected the single end blue connector to the IDE 1 port
on the motherboard and the black connector into the disk
drive. I've choosen "cable select". I guess I can't have
done anything wrong with the physical installation..?

I've flashed my bios to the lastest available from april
this year.

In the bios settings, all vital settings are set to auto
and the bios has no problem to identify my drive.

I've got windows XP Sp1 and all updates installed. I've
downloaded the Intel-info-file (ver. 5) to help the Xp to
identify my disk drive at optimal settings.

I've used the native XP drivers and then the drives on
the CD delivered with the motherboard...

When I used a software to measure the speed of my hard
drive. It shows that I only run at ATA 66 which makes my
system a lot slower :(

I remembered that Intel supplies Intel Application
Accelerator 2.3 but it does not support the 875p-
chipset!! Intel states that they no longer support
development of drivers except for on RAID-systems and
that they think that the Windows XP native drivers are
good enough...!!

Maxtor, the producer of my drive, doesn't provide drivers
only for their Ultra ATA controller card...

Windows update does not provide any newer drivers than
2001-xx-xx or am I wrong? The drivers from my
motherboarddisk are never but it doesn't improve the
speed of my drives...

It felt hopless when I noticed something strange in the
devicemanager! If I expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers
I find:
2 of INTEL(R)82801EB Ultra ATA Storage controllers
2 of primary IDE-Channel
2 of secondary IDE-channel

Is this normal? Should I have two of these???

If I look at the 82801EB controllers I can't find any
differencies between them!

But if I look at my 2 primary IDE-channels I can find
differencies! In the "Transfer Mode" states: DMA if
Available and "the current setting" is set to "ULTRA DMA
MODE 5"
But on the other primary IDE-channel has a different
configuration!?!?
It states:

In the "Transfer Mode" states: DMA if Available and "the
current setting" is set to "NOT AVAILABLE"

I guess this is part of my problem... I tried to remove
the extra devices but then XP will reinstall them every
time I reboot!

Could anyone help me? I would like to add that I've
searched through the Microsoft knowledge library without
succes.

Best Regards,
Anders

Remove both INTEL(R)82801EB Ultra ATA Storage controllers from device
manager and restart. XP will install it again but hopefully only one. You
have to black connectors on your cable, right ? Connect that one on the end
of cable.

FairMan