Running 3 Projectors using Saphire 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.

duskndreamz

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Hi,

I am currently running 3 LG 20"LED's at 1600x900 resolution for my college project for a racing game.
It works decently and we are able to get an fps of arnd 50.

I am now trying to run 3 projectors from the same system, but have been advised by some people that running 3 projectors from one system will burn out the graphics card very soon.

Any advice on this?

My budget is a max of 500$ for the PC + graphics card, and my current system with Core i3 2nd Gen , 4GB ddr3, Saphire 6870 falls in that range.

Solution

eyefinity only needs one card.

You just need to ensure ONE projector is connected with DisplayPort(I would assume you have one monitor that way already). This is when the adapter comes into play if your projectors lack DP, then the active adapter will let you use the DP to run DVI or VGA.

Eyefinity is an easy way to use all the screens as one(because it makes programs see only one giant screen). So it is still your best option(on the ATI side, Nvidia has...

duskndreamz

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Yes, I have the required adapters to run eyefinity setup.
I intend to replace the LED's with 3 projectors.

Can you also suggest, if there is a cost effective way to run 3 screens other than eyefinity.
I have heard that running 2 graphic cards in SLI can be very expensive.

Wolfshadw

Titan
It all depends on what the resolutions of the projectors are. If it's the same of less than your current LED set up, then you shouldn't need to change graphics at all. Only if you're looking at using 1080p (1920x1080) projectors are you going to start running into slow-downs using a single card solution.

-Wolf sends

eyefinity only needs one card.

You just need to ensure ONE projector is connected with DisplayPort(I would assume you have one monitor that way already). This is when the adapter comes into play if your projectors lack DP, then the active adapter will let you use the DP to run DVI or VGA.

Eyefinity is an easy way to use all the screens as one(because it makes programs see only one giant screen). So it is still your best option(on the ATI side, Nvidia has basically the same thing too.).

AMD has a list on validated adapters(if you need one for DP->VGA or DP ->DVI), but others may work as well as long as they are active adapters.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Even if you work the card to the max(by lets say pushing it harder then it can deliver good frame rates.), It will not damage the card in any way.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.