Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia display driver has stopped responding and recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2012 5:41:11 AM

hi, a couple of weeks i bought a new custom pc for gaming. it worked brilliantly up until a few days ago. whenever i play a game, a few minutes in, the screen will get covered in green blocks of static. then the game will either crash, or the framerate will drop severely. after the game is closed, the screen will continuosly turn its self off and back on again, saying it has recovered from a display driver issue.
i have tried updating the nvidia drivers and tried a few other things like clearing the registry, but have had no luck with fixing the problem. i can't afford to call in someone to fix it and i would also like to start learning how to fix these things myself so hopefully you guys can help me. thanks.

specs:
windows 7 64 bit
quad intel i7 3.4ghz
16gb ram
EVGA geforce gtx 660 ti gpu
2tb hard drive
September 14, 2012 5:55:35 AM

Kinda sound like your gpu is overheating or something have you looked at temps while playing? Sometimes cards will have a really low stock fan speed and stay there. Im just thinking out loud here, but then again that card is new so I cant see something like that only happening now after you have used it will no problems.
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2012 6:12:46 AM

What power supply are you running? How are the temps on that card?
Related resources
September 14, 2012 6:17:17 AM

the psu is 625w but im not how to check the temperature
September 14, 2012 6:19:47 AM

eculiny said:
the psu is 625w but im not how to check the temperature

I use MSI afterburner its free program, google it and have it open while you play, after a few minutes of playing alt-tab and see what the temps are on the graph.
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2012 6:28:18 AM

Which 625W? (brand)
September 14, 2012 7:06:48 AM

the psu is COOLER MASTER 625W Extreme2 dual +12V outputs and the game crashes and green static thing doesnt seem to happen from overheating, happened at 27* and 38*. i also did the benchmark and the static came at over 60*
September 15, 2012 2:21:06 AM

i think it was the overheating actually. i downloaded evga precision and used it to increase the fan speed and had no problems in crysis 2 and hopefully it stays that way. thank you very much for your help =]
September 15, 2012 3:03:05 AM

eculiny said:
i think it was the overheating actually. i downloaded evga precision and used it to increase the fan speed and had no problems in crysis 2 and hopefully it stays that way. thank you very much for your help =]

MSI afterburner does the same thing it has a fan speed curve thats automatic, but you said your fans 100% so im confused?
September 15, 2012 4:35:20 AM

ok so crysis 2 works fine now but guild wars 2 doesnt. with the temperature at about 40* guild wars 2 crashed while crysis 2 runs fine at about 50* so i dont have a clue again lol. originally the fan was on 30% but im now using the fan speed curve. also the green static and crash is not just happening ingame now, its happening while i am typing this message...
September 15, 2012 5:39:59 AM

"Uninstall the drivers and use driver sweeper to remove the leffover driver files then reinstall the drivers in safe mode"
This was taken from another forum it sounds like a good idea, its worth a try if it saves you from having to pay to get it fixed.
September 15, 2012 5:49:49 AM

?? no i didnt
September 15, 2012 6:16:57 AM

ok changing the fan hasnt fixed anything now, crysis 2, guild wars 2 and mirrors edge are all effected by the problem and its getting worse, guild wars 2 will now crash on the lowest setting =[ should i just find money to call in somene to fix it?
September 15, 2012 9:05:24 AM

eculiny said:
?? no i didnt

Sorry about that was helping someone else at the same time with a similar problem :na: 

Anyways if its crashing at that low temp it could be a lot of things.
Might be faulty psu just starting to kick the bucket, other than that I cant really think of anything else atm.
!