[MOVIES] VtR optioned by New Line

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/variety/20040714/va_fi_ne/new_line_will_stake_claim_to__vampire_1

New Line will stake claim to 'Vampire'

Tue Jul 13, 9:37 PM ET

Cathy Dunkley, Dana Harris, STAFF

New Line Cinema has optioned feature rights for the role-playing game
"Vampire: The Requiem" from White Wolf Publishing for producer Adam
Fields. New Line's eyeing the property as a potential franchise
property.

"Requiem" introduces a contemporary horror universe that details the
night-to-night life of vampires. Just as it's up to the game players
to create characters and plots, a screenwriter will also be charged
with creating characters and a storyline for the adaptation.

"Requiem" and its ancillary role-playing products will be published
Aug. 30 through White Wolf's World of Darkness imprint.

"Requiem" is a successor to White Wolf's 1991 "Vampire: The
Masquerade." That gaming property spawned more than 150 products and
licensed materials, including several ActiVision videogames as well as
the short-lived 1996 Fox series "Kindred: The Embraced."

Luke Ryan and Magnus Kim oversee the pic at New Line. Roy Rocha
brought the property to Fields.

Fields, who will produce "Requiem" under his first-look deal at New
Line, is also producing "Josiah's Canon" at 20th Century Fox.

magstheaxe@yahoo.com wrote in

> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/variety/20040714/va_fi_ne/new_
> line_will_stake_claim_to__vampire_1
>
> New Line will stake claim to 'Vampire'

*sigh* I really, really wish someone would make a good Werewolf: The
Apocalypse movie. While it's definitely not a mainstream setting, I think
the mix of anthropomorphics, violence, spiritualism and the general
darkness of it all could make it a complete hit.

Problem arising would involve that convincing Garou and the Umbra would
require massive CGI budgets. Something hobby film makers, on the other
hand, will never possess.

Hmm, maybe Machinima would be an option? :)

--
Moritz Voss

"Moritz Voss"

> *sigh* I really, really wish someone would make a good Werewolf: The
> Apocalypse movie. While it's definitely not a mainstream setting, I think
> the mix of anthropomorphics, violence, spiritualism and the general
> darkness of it all could make it a complete hit.

Hmm...faux spiritualism. I see that not flying far. Plus making a
good looking Ron Spencer style garou would be hella impossible.

> Problem arising would involve that convincing Garou and the Umbra would
> require massive CGI budgets. Something hobby film makers, on the other
> hand, will never possess.

Don't discount non-CGI options, even if there was a big budget
attached to this. There's a lot you can do without it. And most
often it seems that when you DON'T have access to something, if you
really want to make it work, you'll find a way. Most innovations have
happened because of this.

Plus, CGI tends to look like CGI. Spider-Man couldn't have been made
without CGI, and frankly, it shows.

"Zane Graves" <maltlick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Moritz Voss"
>
> > *sigh* I really, really wish someone would make a good Werewolf: The
> > Apocalypse movie. While it's definitely not a mainstream setting, I
think
> > the mix of anthropomorphics, violence, spiritualism and the general
> > darkness of it all could make it a complete hit.
>
> Hmm...faux spiritualism. I see that not flying far. Plus making a
> good looking Ron Spencer style garou would be hella impossible.
>
> > Problem arising would involve that convincing Garou and the Umbra would
> > require massive CGI budgets. Something hobby film makers, on the other
> > hand, will never possess.
>
> Don't discount non-CGI options, even if there was a big budget
> attached to this. There's a lot you can do without it. And most
> often it seems that when you DON'T have access to something, if you
> really want to make it work, you'll find a way. Most innovations have
> happened because of this.
>
> Plus, CGI tends to look like CGI. Spider-Man couldn't have been made
> without CGI, and frankly, it shows.

Yeah, CGI looks so much like CGI that some people will start criticising the
CGI flaws in scenes that don't actually have CGI in them. ;)

- David Prokopetz.

In article <2lvvhvFhd6u3U1@uni-berlin.de>, "David Prokopetz"
<sirbob@penguinking.com> wrote:

> Yeah, CGI looks so much like CGI that some people will start criticising
> the CGI flaws in scenes that don't actually have CGI in them. ;)

I think CGI has become a catch-all term meaning "special effect that
wasn't very good."

--
Tyler

u d e t o d r y s t a n o i d f t

David Prokopetz wrote:

> Yeah, CGI looks so much like CGI that some people will start criticising the
> CGI flaws in scenes that don't actually have CGI in them. ;)

This happens so often nowadays, too. Too much protesting and
complaints...because the pre-CGI special effects were so darn convincing
in comparison. :)

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

Tyler Dion wrote:

> In article <2lvvhvFhd6u3U1@uni-berlin.de>, "David Prokopetz"
> <sirbob@penguinking.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, CGI looks so much like CGI that some people will start criticising
> > the CGI flaws in scenes that don't actually have CGI in them. ;)
>
> I think CGI has become a catch-all term meaning "special effect that
> wasn't very good."

In other words, a term that has no relation to what it actually means?

--

In article <40FB15D5.129BC3F8@comcast.net>, Julie d'Aubigny
<kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote:

> In other words, a term that has no relation to what it actually means?

English is a great language.

--
Tyler

u d e t o d r y s t a n o i d f t

maltlick@yahoo.com (Zane Graves) wrote in message news:<3a33e414.0407181012.db87d3f@posting.google.com>...
> "Moritz Voss"
>
> > *sigh* I really, really wish someone would make a good Werewolf: The
> > Apocalypse movie. While it's definitely not a mainstream setting, I think
> > the mix of anthropomorphics, violence, spiritualism and the general
> > darkness of it all could make it a complete hit.
>
> Hmm...faux spiritualism. I see that not flying far. Plus making a
> good looking Ron Spencer style garou would be hella impossible.

Now now, I'm sure they'll be able to get CGI at least at the level of
"Anaconda".

In fact, I think classics such as "Anaconda" and "Deep Blue Sea" could
be perfect models for the Werewolf movie. ;')

-Eric Tolle

Tyler Dion <tfdion@spammenot.com> wrote in

> I think CGI has become a catch-all term meaning "special effect that
> wasn't very good."

Oddness... I think CGI has, ever since Jurassic Park, been a hallmark of
"realism that you just can't achieve just with puppets".

I liked the puppets in Dog Soldiers, though I heard they were so frail that
they had to make countless retakes of the scenes because their costumes
fell apart :)

--
Moritz Voss

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:29:08 GMT, Julie d'Aubigny
<kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote:

>Tyler Dion wrote:
>>
>> In article <2lvvhvFhd6u3U1@uni-berlin.de>, "David Prokopetz"
>> <sirbob@penguinking.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Yeah, CGI looks so much like CGI that some people will start criticising
>> > the CGI flaws in scenes that don't actually have CGI in them. ;)
>>
>> I think CGI has become a catch-all term meaning "special effect that
>> wasn't very good."
>
>In other words, a term that has no relation to what it actually means?

CGI is munchkin, mang.

--
Hong Ooi | "Well, that about WANGER up the
hong@zipworld.com.au | WANGER of your WANGER, Hong.

schaduw@silcom.com (Eric Tolle) wrote in message news:<d07ba801.0407190735.47822ab6@posting.google.com>...
> maltlick@yahoo.com (Zane Graves) wrote in message news:<3a33e414.0407181012.db87d3f@posting.google.com>...
> > "Moritz Voss"
> >
> > > *sigh* I really, really wish someone would make a good Werewolf: The
> > > Apocalypse movie. While it's definitely not a mainstream setting, I think
> > > the mix of anthropomorphics, violence, spiritualism and the general
> > > darkness of it all could make it a complete hit.
> >
> > Hmm...faux spiritualism. I see that not flying far. Plus making a
> > good looking Ron Spencer style garou would be hella impossible.
>
> Now now, I'm sure they'll be able to get CGI at least at the level of
> "Anaconda".
>
> In fact, I think classics such as "Anaconda" and "Deep Blue Sea" could
> be perfect models for the Werewolf movie. ;')
>
> -Eric Tolle

Again. Just my opinion. But I think CGI has easily turned into a
crutch for film makers instead of actually making compelling movies.

Then again, I also think Spider-Man 2 was over-rated. So what do I
know?

> schaduw@silcom.com (Eric Tolle) wrote in message
> > maltlick@yahoo.com (Zane Graves) wrote in message
> > > "Moritz Voss"

> > > Hmm...faux spiritualism. I see that not flying far. Plus making a
> > > good looking Ron Spencer style garou would be hella impossible.
> >
> > Now now, I'm sure they'll be able to get CGI at least at the level of
> > "Anaconda".
> >
> > In fact, I think classics such as "Anaconda" and "Deep Blue Sea" could
> > be perfect models for the Werewolf movie. ;')
> >
> > -Eric Tolle
>
> Again. Just my opinion. But I think CGI has easily turned into a
> crutch for film makers instead of actually making compelling movies.

This is different from any other special effects technology precisely how?
Think back; most of the Harryhausen stuff has downright mediocre stories and
characterisations, but folks love it anyway for the stop-motion skeletons.

(Which *are* pretty cool, I'll admit.)

- David Prokopetz.

JJ

You know, Crankshaft was also optioned for film? Not just once, mind you.
Repeatedly.

Being optioned is the first step in a long journey toward making a film.

TRENDING THREADS