New: Canon Rebel XT

New Canon Rebel announced at PMA

http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html

--
Charles
42 answers Last reply
More about canon rebel
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Slight correction, PMA hasn't started yet ;) This is a pre-show
    announcement.

    "Charles" <fort514@mac.com> wrote in message
    > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >

    > http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    >
    > --
    > Charles
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <3uqdnXFdE732konfRVn-iA@rogers.com>, Darrell wrote:

    > Slight correction, PMA hasn't started yet ;) This is a pre-show
    > announcement.

    Actually it appears to be a leak of a pre-show or show announcement.

    --
    Charles
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > In article <3uqdnXFdE732konfRVn-iA@rogers.com>, Darrell wrote:
    >
    > > Slight correction, PMA hasn't started yet ;) This is a pre-show
    > > announcement.
    >
    > Actually it appears to be a leak of a pre-show or show announcement.

    I puzzled over this as the URL is not linked anywhere in the pma-show.com
    website. Perhaps you are correct. Maybe Phil Askey on DPreview has the same
    info but has not released the info. As these reports take a bit of time to
    write, I could guess there is a agreement that they hold the item until the
    official announcement.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Charles" <fort514@mac.com> wrote in message
    | New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    |

    | http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    |
    | --
    | Charles

    I've often wondered: What is the camera rebelling against?

    Old Dad
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <VBTQd.8431$ng6.1619@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, Old Dad
    <frawillen@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > I've often wondered: What is the camera rebelling against?

    Camera names with a bunch of boring letters and numbers? :)

    --
    Charles
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Old Dad wrote:
    > "Charles" <fort514@mac.com> wrote in message
    >> New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >>

    >> http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charles
    >
    > I've often wondered: What is the camera rebelling against?

    In the words of a BRMC hard and sullen guy:

    "Wuddaya got?"
  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Old Dad" <frawillen@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Charles" <fort514@mac.com> wrote in message
    > | New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    > |

    > | http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    > |
    > | --
    > | Charles
    >
    > I've often wondered: What is the camera rebelling against?
    >
    > Old Dad

    being sold to fat lardy arsed yanks proberbly
  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Charles <fort514@mac.com> wrote in

    > In article <3uqdnXFdE732konfRVn-iA@rogers.com>, Darrell wrote:
    >
    >> Slight correction, PMA hasn't started yet ;) This is a pre-show
    >> announcement.
    >
    > Actually it appears to be a leak of a pre-show or show announcement.

    Intentional leak...no doubt.

    --

    Bill
  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >

    > http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html

    I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    lens...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <VTUQd.668$Pz7.662@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, mikej1
    @ix.netcom.com says...
    > I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    > sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    > price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    > it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    > lens...

    Isn't the BG-E3 the same vertical grip the 20D uses? Because that's
    what it's shown with.

    Looks very nice. Although I'd love to have a 20D, if the RebelXT
    provides similar image and noise performance I might have to trade in
    the 10D.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> wrote in message
    > In article <VTUQd.668$Pz7.662@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, mikej1
    > @ix.netcom.com says...
    >> I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going
    >> sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    >> price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300,
    >> but
    >> it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    >> lens...
    >
    > Isn't the BG-E3 the same vertical grip the 20D uses? Because that's
    > what it's shown with.
    >
    > Looks very nice. Although I'd love to have a 20D, if the RebelXT
    > provides similar image and noise performance I might have to trade in
    > the 10D.

    Point of information, the grip for the 20D is the BG-E2, not -E3 as on these
    images of the RebelXT.
    This one may find it's way into our arsenal. My wife has been complaining
    of the bulk of the 20D with Quantum flash attached, and we've been looking
    for a back up body, this just may be it.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky <MikeJ1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >> New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >>

    >> http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    >
    >I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    >sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    >price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    >it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    >lens...

    I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D

    The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody
    to compete against this (which is bad for other manufacturers).
    The bad news for Canon is that this is almost certainly going to make
    inroads into sales of the 20D. And I'd guess the 20D has higher margins.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
    > In article <VTUQd.668$Pz7.662@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    > Mike Jacoubowsky <MikeJ1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    > >> New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    > >>

    > >> http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    > >
    > >I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going
    > >sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    > >price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300,
    but
    > >it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    > >lens...
    >
    > I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D

    A hint may be yesterday Canon Canada dropped the 300D MSRP by $200, that
    puts it at $999 CDN, My guess is the XT will be introduced at $1000 USD, or
    around $1500 CDN. The 20D body is $1950 CDN in our store as a point of
    reference, the D70 with kit lens is $1500 CDN.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <cv1683$a5a$1@reader2.panix.com>, johnf@panix.com says...
    > >I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    > >sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    > >price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    > >it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    > >lens...
    >
    > I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D
    >
    > The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody
    > to compete against this (which is bad for other manufacturers).
    > The bad news for Canon is that this is almost certainly going to make
    > inroads into sales of the 20D. And I'd guess the 20D has higher margins.

    Hard to say, really. I know there are a lot of 300D users who are
    waiting for an upgrade. They love their 300Ds, but can't resist the
    lure of more pixels and more features. They weren't going to buy 20Ds
    anyway.

    Neither was I, for that matter. The 20D is nice, and I drool over the
    low noise and AF performance, but I simply don't have the funds to
    upgrade. With the new Rebel, I should be able to sell the 10D and my
    28-135mm lens and not have to shell out too much more for the RebelXT
    with the 17-85mm EF-S. I'd consider dropping my 20mm f/2.8, but I love
    that lens in low light too much to get rid of it. Sure, less noise with
    the newer models... but still! I'd rather shoot 1/30th of a second at
    ISO 800 instead of ISO 1600 if I could.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > In article <cv1683$a5a$1@reader2.panix.com>, johnf@panix.com says...
    > > >I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going
    > > >sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop
    in
    > > >price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300,
    but
    > > >it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    > > >lens...
    > >
    > > I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D
    > >
    > > The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody
    > > to compete against this (which is bad for other manufacturers).
    > > The bad news for Canon is that this is almost certainly going to make
    > > inroads into sales of the 20D. And I'd guess the 20D has higher
    margins.

    > Hard to say, really. I know there are a lot of 300D users who are
    > waiting for an upgrade. They love their 300Ds, but can't resist the
    > lure of more pixels and more features. They weren't going to buy 20Ds
    > anyway.

    I was very close to buying a 20D to replace my 300D. I hadn't even thought
    of checking out the 300D replacement but now seeing it's features I think
    I'll wait for the 350D/XT.

    Greg
    --
    "destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late,
    the battles we fought were long and hard,

    In article <VTUQd.668$Pz7.662@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, mikej1
    @ix.netcom.com says...
    > > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    > >

    > > http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    >
    > I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    > sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    > price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    > it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    > lens...
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    I've made a guess at $2000 (US)

    I think they will do that and continue to sell the original DRebel.

    I have absolutely no real reason (and no inside info).

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    "Larry" <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > In article <VTUQd.668$Pz7.662@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, mikej1
    > @ix.netcom.com says...
    > > > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    > > >

    > > > http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    > >
    > > I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going
    > > sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop
    in
    > > price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300,
    but
    > > it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    > > lens...
    > >
    > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    > >

    > I've made a guess at $2000 (US)
    >
    > I think they will do that and continue to sell the original DRebel.
    >
    > I have absolutely no real reason (and no inside info).

    As the announcement said USD $899 body, USD $999 camera/lens your guess
    would be wrong. I am however always happy to match any higher price ;)
  18. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Very nice camera. I really like this one.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    >> > The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody
    >> > to compete against this (which is bad for other manufacturers).
    >> > The bad news for Canon is that this is almost certainly going to make
    >> > inroads into sales of the 20D. And I'd guess the 20D has higher
    > margins.
    >>
    >> Hard to say, really. I know there are a lot of 300D users who are
    >> waiting for an upgrade. They love their 300Ds, but can't resist the
    >> lure of more pixels and more features. They weren't going to buy 20Ds
    >> anyway.
    >
    > I was very close to buying a 20D to replace my 300D. I hadn't even
    > thought
    > of checking out the 300D replacement but now seeing it's features I think
    > I'll wait for the 350D/XT.

    The 20D may still be the better choice for many, but it partly depends upon
    how these factors work out on the 350-

    --Build quality. 350 is presumably plastic, while the 20D is Magnesium.
    Could be that this is more about style than actual durability, don't know.

    --Focusing speed. Those into shooting sports have been impressed that the
    20D focuses much more quickly than the original Rebel. Where will the 350
    fit in?

    --Image noise. The Canon PR piece makes it sound like the 350 benefits from
    a later generation of CMOS imaging sensor than the 20D so who knows, could
    be even better? Tests will tell.

    --Shutter noise. Some have complained that the 20D is rather loud; if the
    350 is more subtle, it could be something that the more casual, "discrete"
    enthusiast might appreciate.

    --Quality of the "kit" lens. Canon implies that the 18-55 on the 350 is a
    new version (II). If it has significantly improved optics over the original,
    then the $999 package price for the 350 makes for a pretty attractive
    starter package. If the lens isn't so hot (the original seems not to be
    highly regarded), then you're still several hundred dollars away from a
    really decent body/lens combo, and when the price of the 350 with decent
    lens overlaps the price of a body-only 20D, some might thing, well, gee,
    I'll just save a little bit more money, since I'm already spending as much
    as a 20D alone anyway...

    Just my humble opinion, of course. And it's not just an educational
    exercise; I've been looking very closely at the 20D for taking bike race
    photos and such. But now... if the 350 is close, and with a smaller &
    lighter size making it a bit easier to carry on the bike... but either way I
    can't lose, because if the 350 is really that great a camera, it's likely
    the 20D will come down a bit in price. Life is good.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
  20. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <tfXQd.766$Pz7.483@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, mikej1
    @ix.netcom.com says...
    > The 20D may still be the better choice for many, but it partly depends upon
    > how these factors work out on the 350-
    >
    > --Build quality. 350 is presumably plastic, while the 20D is Magnesium.
    > Could be that this is more about style than actual durability, don't know.

    This "plastic" body is probably the first thing that will seperate the 20D
    buyers from XT buyers.

    > --Focusing speed. Those into shooting sports have been impressed that the
    > 20D focuses much more quickly than the original Rebel. Where will the 350
    > fit in?
    >
    > --Image noise. The Canon PR piece makes it sound like the 350 benefits from
    > a later generation of CMOS imaging sensor than the 20D so who knows, could
    > be even better? Tests will tell.

    Canon (corporately)would be CRAZY to have the XT do anything either as well
    as or better than the 20D. Right now the 20D is the goose thats laying
    golden eggs all over Canons corporate lawn, I dont think they want to kill
    ANY sales of the 20D

    > --Shutter noise. Some have complained that the 20D is rather loud; if the
    > 350 is more subtle, it could be something that the more casual, "discrete"
    > enthusiast might appreciate.
    >
    > --Quality of the "kit" lens. Canon implies that the 18-55 on the 350 is a
    > new version (II). If it has significantly improved optics over the original,
    > then the $999 package price for the 350 makes for a pretty attractive
    > starter package. If the lens isn't so hot (the original seems not to be
    > highly regarded), then you're still several hundred dollars away from a
    > really decent body/lens combo, and when the price of the 350 with decent
    > lens overlaps the price of a body-only 20D, some might thing, well, gee,
    > I'll just save a little bit more money, since I'm already spending as much
    > as a 20D alone anyway...

    I think Canon will set retail for the XT kit almost the SAME price as the 20D
    (body only). Another thing to keep it from killing any 20D sales. This camera
    seems designed to capture the buyer who wants a DSLR, but doesn't want BIG &
    BULKY.

    > Just my humble opinion, of course. And it's not just an educational
    > exercise; I've been looking very closely at the 20D for taking bike race
    > photos and such. But now... if the 350 is close, and with a smaller &
    > lighter size making it a bit easier to carry on the bike... but either way I
    > can't lose, because if the 350 is really that great a camera, it's likely
    > the 20D will come down a bit in price. Life is good.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    All of this is simple OPINION, but its based on my own observation of Canons
    past marketing strageties, which overall have shown Canon to not "shoot
    itself in the foot" very often.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >

    > http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html

    The only downside I can see is the move to the NB-2LH battery - just 720
    mAh. Canon's press release claims that the Digic 2 chip uses less power
    overall, so you can still get 600 shots per battery, but I still don't think
    you'll get as many as the original DR with the BP-511 - and it *certainly*
    won't charge the flash as much.

    steve
  22. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    John Francis wrote:

    > In article <VTUQd.668$Pz7.662@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    > Mike Jacoubowsky <MikeJ1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >>>

    >>>http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    >>
    >>I didn't see any mention of price in a quick scan, but if they're going to
    >>sell it for anywhere near $1000, I'd guess that D70s are going to drop in
    >>price pretty quickly. It seems much closer to a 20D than the Rebel 300, but
    >>it's likely not nearly as tough. Still, if it goes for $1000 with kit
    >>lens...
    >

    > I'd be extremely surprised if it's priced any higher than the 300D
    >
    > The good news for Canon is that it's going to be very hard for anybody
    > to compete against this (which is bad for other manufacturers).
    > The bad news for Canon is that this is almost certainly going to make
    > inroads into sales of the 20D. And I'd guess the 20D has higher margins.

    It's 'good' for other manufacturers in that it will make them work harder to
    catch up.

  23. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    > --Build quality. 350 is presumably plastic, while the 20D is Magnesium.
    > Could be that this is more about style than actual durability, don't know.

    Polycarbonate is usually a very robust material. And since it absorbs some
    energy on impact it protects the innards better than metal which transmits all
    of the energy to the inards.

    > --Shutter noise. Some have complained that the 20D is rather loud; if the
    > 350 is more subtle, it could be something that the more casual, "discrete"
    > enthusiast might appreciate.

    It's odd that Canon have not used the mirror/shutter from the Elan 7. Very quiet.

    > Just my humble opinion, of course. And it's not just an educational
    > exercise; I've been looking very closely at the 20D for taking bike race
    > photos and such. But now... if the 350 is close, and with a smaller &
    > lighter size making it a bit easier to carry on the bike... but either way I
    > can't lose, because if the 350 is really that great a camera, it's likely
    > the 20D will come down a bit in price. Life is good.

    Can anyone say 40D? The PMA show has yet to begin and Canon have just begun the
    dance of the 7 veils with the DRebel XT.

    Cheers,
    Alan

  24. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Larry wrote:

    > Canon (corporately)would be CRAZY to have the XT do anything either as well
    > as or better than the 20D. Right now the 20D is the goose thats laying
    > golden eggs all over Canons corporate lawn, I dont think they want to kill
    > ANY sales of the 20D

    The dance of the seven veils at PMA has just begun... the 20D may already be
    history...

    Cheers,
    Alan.

  25. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > I think Canon will set retail for the XT kit almost the SAME price
    > as the 20D (body only).

    Nope. $899 for the body.

    Official DP Review announcement:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021704canon_eos350d.asp

    --

    Bill
  26. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

    > Canon implies that the 18-55 on the 350 is a
    > new version (II

    According to Dp Review:

    "Phil: Note that Canon has subtly updated the Kit lens, but it's only
    cosmetic modifications, the actual glass / lens design is identical
    (still no USM here, although there was a USM lens on black kits in
    Europe and standard in Japan)."

    --

    Bill
  27. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <E_VQd.31915$xt.2176@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
    says...
    > > Isn't the BG-E3 the same vertical grip the 20D uses? Because that's
    > > what it's shown with.
    > >
    > > Looks very nice. Although I'd love to have a 20D, if the RebelXT
    > > provides similar image and noise performance I might have to trade in
    > > the 10D.
    >
    > Point of information, the grip for the 20D is the BG-E2, not -E3 as on these
    > images of the RebelXT.

    Yes, I see that now.

    > This one may find it's way into our arsenal. My wife has been complaining
    > of the bulk of the 20D with Quantum flash attached, and we've been looking
    > for a back up body, this just may be it.

    Hey, if it performs as well image-wise as the 20D in terms of noise and
    resolution, I'll trade up the 10D. I really like the 20D, but when the
    300D first came out I knew the 10D was really more camera than I use.
    Now that the Rebel XT has more usable features (AF selection, metering,
    so on) any hesitation of buying the Rebel is gone.
  28. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > In article <E_VQd.31915$xt.2176@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
    > says...
    >> > Isn't the BG-E3 the same vertical grip the 20D uses? Because that's
    >> > what it's shown with.
    >> >
    >> > Looks very nice. Although I'd love to have a 20D, if the RebelXT
    >> > provides similar image and noise performance I might have to trade in
    >> > the 10D.
    >>
    >> Point of information, the grip for the 20D is the BG-E2, not -E3 as on
    >> these
    >> images of the RebelXT.
    >
    > Yes, I see that now.
    >
    >> This one may find it's way into our arsenal. My wife has been
    >> complaining
    >> of the bulk of the 20D with Quantum flash attached, and we've been
    >> looking
    >> for a back up body, this just may be it.
    >
    > Hey, if it performs as well image-wise as the 20D in terms of noise and
    > resolution, I'll trade up the 10D. I really like the 20D, but when the
    > 300D first came out I knew the 10D was really more camera than I use.
    > Now that the Rebel XT has more usable features (AF selection, metering,
    > so on) any hesitation of buying the Rebel is gone.

    Yeah, that metering selection, or lack thereof, was the deal breaker for me
    on the RebelD/300D. It's good to see that Canon came to their senses on
    that one. It looks like the camera may be a little small for my cloddish
    hands, but it should be nice for hers...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
  29. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >

    >> --Build quality. 350 is presumably plastic, while the 20D is Magnesium.
    >> Could be that this is more about style than actual durability, don't
    >> know.
    >
    > Polycarbonate is usually a very robust material. And since it absorbs
    > some energy on impact it protects the innards better than metal which
    > transmits all of the energy to the inards.
    >
    >> --Shutter noise. Some have complained that the 20D is rather loud; if the
    >> 350 is more subtle, it could be something that the more casual,
    >> "discrete" enthusiast might appreciate.
    >
    > It's odd that Canon have not used the mirror/shutter from the Elan 7.
    > Very quiet.
    >
    >> Just my humble opinion, of course. And it's not just an educational
    >> exercise; I've been looking very closely at the 20D for taking bike race
    >> photos and such. But now... if the 350 is close, and with a smaller &
    >> lighter size making it a bit easier to carry on the bike... but either
    >> way I can't lose, because if the 350 is really that great a camera, it's
    >> likely the 20D will come down a bit in price. Life is good.
    >
    > Can anyone say 40D? The PMA show has yet to begin and Canon have just
    > begun the dance of the 7 veils with the DRebel XT.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    > -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Nah, they'll stagger the announcements, like the 10D vs. the 300D. You
    probably won't see a 20D replacement until late this year, or early next.
    And it may not be earthshaking, remember the D60 was a 6mp camera that was
    succeeded by another 6mp camera, the 10D.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
  30. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
    >> New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >>

    >> http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    >
    > The only downside I can see is the move to the NB-2LH battery - just 720
    > mAh. Canon's press release claims that the Digic 2 chip uses less power
    > overall, so you can still get 600 shots per battery, but I still don't
    > think
    > you'll get as many as the original DR with the BP-511 - and it *certainly*
    > won't charge the flash as much.
    >
    > steve

    Well, since the 20D uses DIGIC II and BP-511A batteries, I'm not sure about
    the logic of using a lower power battery for the Reb. And that would make
    us, among others, carry different batteries if we used the RebXT as a backup
    for our 20D bodies.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
  31. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
    > > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    > >

    > > http://www.pma-show.com/review/canon/001_EOS_digital_rebel_xt.html
    >
    > The only downside I can see is the move to the NB-2LH battery - just 720
    > mAh. Canon's press release claims that the Digic 2 chip uses less power
    > overall, so you can still get 600 shots per battery, but I still don't
    think
    > you'll get as many as the original DR with the BP-511 - and it *certainly*
    > won't charge the flash as much.

    Yeah, reading the dpreview info about the battery kind of turned me off to
    the 350D. But the smaller size and lighter weight than my 300D may be a
    good trade off. I do alot of hiking and mtn biking with mine so I'll have
    to keep the 350D under consideration.

    GT
    --
    "Once you have something that grows faster than education grows, you're
    always going to get a pop culture" - Alan Kay

    "Old Dad" <frawillen@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > I've often wondered: What is the camera rebelling against?

    The ridiculous and humorous example set by Sigma and their toy "cameras"
    probably.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in

    > Well, since the 20D uses DIGIC II and BP-511A batteries, I'm not
    > sure about the logic of using a lower power battery for the Reb.

    They changed the battery to shed some excess weight. The new battery is
    light as a feather. It is the same battery used in the S60 and S70
    powershots.

    --

    Bill
  34. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Dumoulin Electronique was selling the 300D with kit lens at 999$ CDN in
    december.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Nice to see them selling at a loss. The Official Canadian MSRP dropped to
    $999 on Wednesday Feb 16. The price before that was a MSRP of $1200.

    "Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote in message
    > Dumoulin Electronique was selling the 300D with kit lens at 999$ CDN in
    > december.

  36. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    >On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:
    >Yeah, reading the dpreview info about the battery kind of turned me off to
    >the 350D. But the smaller size and lighter weight than my 300D may be a
    >good trade off. I do alot of hiking and mtn biking with mine so I'll have
    >to keep the 350D under consideration.

    The battery capacity shouldn't be a really big issue. While the
    "standard" battery only has a 750 mah capacity, you can get an 1100 mah
    battery from SterlingTek for only $20. And for another $20 you can get a
    dual-voltage-source charger that includes a lighter plug interface which
    comes in handy when you are out in the boonies.

    Additionally, with a mere .2 second startup-to-click latency, it's not
    as if you are going to have to run around with your camera turned on
    all day.

    Without doubt, this is the camera I've been waiting for.
  37. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Darrell wrote:
    > Nice to see them selling at a loss. The Official Canadian MSRP
    > dropped to $999 on Wednesday Feb 16. The price before that was a MSRP
    > of $1200.

    Irony? Don't you mean "less profit"? Never a loss, in my guess!
  38. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Charles <fort514@mac.com> writes:

    > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA

    I think you mean "before PMA". The show doesn't start until
    tomorrow.

    --
    -Stephen H. Westin
  39. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <s0wtt3yihs.fsf@diesel.graphics.cornell.edu>,
    <westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu> wrote:

    > I think you mean "before PMA". The show doesn't start until
    > tomorrow.

    There is always a nitwitpicker around.

    --
    Charles
  40. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <s0wtt3yihs.fsf@diesel.graphics.cornell.edu>,
    westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu says...
    > Charles <fort514@mac.com> writes:
    >
    > > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >
    > I think you mean "before PMA". The show doesn't start until
    > tomorrow.

    Hopefully we'll get some sample pics from the RebelXT tomorrow after a
    few of the web jockeys have had a chance to shoot some photos.
  41. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canoneos350d_preview/

    --
    > In article <s0wtt3yihs.fsf@diesel.graphics.cornell.edu>,
    > westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu says...
    >> Charles <fort514@mac.com> writes:
    >>
    >> > New Canon Rebel announced at PMA
    >>
    >> I think you mean "before PMA". The show doesn't start until
    >> tomorrow.
    >
    > Hopefully we'll get some sample pics from the RebelXT tomorrow after a
    > few of the web jockeys have had a chance to shoot some photos.
  42. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <Hf0Sd.32417$xt.28775@fed1read07>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
    says...
    > http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canoneos350d_preview/

    Who wants my EOS 10D? $899.