Cooling Problems with old GeForce 7900 GS

RMaven21

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hi,

I assembled my desktop in 2007 for gaming and was able to run any game at max settings flawlessly. I used it for 2 years and then left it untouched for 2 years.

When I started using it again, it was working fine. Everything still works fine until I try to play games (even a lowly game like Diablo 3). The screen got all messy and then eventually crashed.

I installed GPU-z and RivaTuner and saw that my GPU would get really really hot. I set the fan speed to 100% which actually allowed me to play the game and it ran VERY smoothly. However, the fan speed would change by itself sometimes and I would have to keep resetting it. While running the game, the temp would stay between 80-90. If it hit 90, the fan would automatically go to 20 or 40%. If I don't notice it, it gets hotter and hotter and crashes.

What is causing my fan to keep changing speeds? I even have RivaTuner running and set at 100%.

I have a feeling I'll probably end up buying a new vid card, but I'm not as big a gamer as I used to be so don't really want to invest another $300.

Any help is appreciate, thanks!

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Visually inspect the heatsink/fan assembly, and remove it to clean it if possible. If not, use a can of compressed air and blow it out in the REVERSE direction to where the airflow normally goes when the fan is on.

Then check the fan integrity, it should turn easily and keep spinning a little when you let go after spinning it with your fingers. If not, the fan needs attention. You can either try re-oiling it, or find another fan/heatsink solution.