GPU fan socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I accidentally took off my GPU fan socket from the card while I'm cleaning it from dust :??: , I'm not quite sure how to describe it, here's the picture:
IMG00005-20120914-1822.jpg

The thing in my hand should be attached on the card, and the fan cable plugged in it.
Can I solder it back perhaps? or RMA (Which I prefer)?

Solution
Hi There,

From looking at your picture , it looks to me that its only the plastic surround of the video card's fan connector.

When you look at the power connector on the video card for the fan, do you see two metal pins?

If that is the case, all you need to do is push the plastic surround back onto those pins. If you cant work out which way it should mount, trial and error is the go. If the fan is connected the wrong way around, it wont spin. I very much doubt any harm will be done if its backwards and tested quickly. ( i make no warranty though :).

Hope this helps.

Please let me know how you go.

Brad

varthshenon

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

I'm not sure I can solder it, but probably I can pay someone to do it tho'. But still, is it possible to solder it back?

brada_44

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hi There,

From looking at your picture , it looks to me that its only the plastic surround of the video card's fan connector.

When you look at the power connector on the video card for the fan, do you see two metal pins?

If that is the case, all you need to do is push the plastic surround back onto those pins. If you cant work out which way it should mount, trial and error is the go. If the fan is connected the wrong way around, it wont spin. I very much doubt any harm will be done if its backwards and tested quickly. ( i make no warranty though :).

Hope this helps.

Please let me know how you go.

Brad

Solution

goldfish

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I've had that happen before, nothing to worry about, you should still have two metal pins sticking out of the board. Simply put female end of the socket back on the male end, and shove the entire thing back onto the two pins. Be careful when you do it as not to bend the pins, but once again, ive had that happen to me many times. Also, it's important to have the pins oriented the correct way or the fan wont work. Make sure the red wire goes to the + pin. If you dont know which way it should be oriented, google a picture of the card and see how other people's cards are setup. Dont plug the cable in hoping you got it right as you may fry the fan.

--Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.