Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GPU fan socket

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2012 12:03:56 PM

I accidentally took off my GPU fan socket from the card while I'm cleaning it from dust :??:  , I'm not quite sure how to describe it, here's the picture:

The thing in my hand should be attached on the card, and the fan cable plugged in it.
Can I solder it back perhaps? or RMA (Which I prefer)?

More about : gpu fan socket

a c 144 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 12:22:41 PM

i think you can solder it back if you confident with your skill. i'm not sure if RMA will cover that kind of self damage but you can try and see if you got lucky if they want to replace the card for you
Score
September 14, 2012 12:25:55 PM

renz496 said:
i think you can solder it back if you confident with your skill. i'm not sure if RMA will cover that kind of self damage but you can try and see if you got lucky if they want to replace the card for you

I'm not sure I can solder it, but probably I can pay someone to do it tho'. But still, is it possible to solder it back?
Score
Related resources
a c 144 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 12:29:38 PM

i think its possible but have to be carefully done so it will not damage the entire board. but if you don't like the hassle try the RMA option first. if can't then try to fix it your way
Score

Best solution

September 14, 2012 12:38:11 PM

Hi There,

From looking at your picture , it looks to me that its only the plastic surround of the video card's fan connector.

When you look at the power connector on the video card for the fan, do you see two metal pins?

If that is the case, all you need to do is push the plastic surround back onto those pins. If you cant work out which way it should mount, trial and error is the go. If the fan is connected the wrong way around, it wont spin. I very much doubt any harm will be done if its backwards and tested quickly. ( i make no warranty though :) .

Hope this helps.

Please let me know how you go.

Brad
September 14, 2012 12:39:29 PM

I've had that happen before, nothing to worry about, you should still have two metal pins sticking out of the board. Simply put female end of the socket back on the male end, and shove the entire thing back onto the two pins. Be careful when you do it as not to bend the pins, but once again, ive had that happen to me many times. Also, it's important to have the pins oriented the correct way or the fan wont work. Make sure the red wire goes to the + pin. If you dont know which way it should be oriented, google a picture of the card and see how other people's cards are setup. Dont plug the cable in hoping you got it right as you may fry the fan.

--Joe
Score
September 14, 2012 12:44:14 PM

Best answer selected by varthshenon.
Score
September 14, 2012 12:47:29 PM

Big thanks brada_44 and goldfish :D 
I never thought that was the problem, those metal pins are so small.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 6:30:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!