Sign in with
Your question

How to use RATT to create a log

Last response: in Windows 7
February 20, 2012 3:31:19 PM

I have had some CPU problems where system idle process takes up anywhere from 70-99% of my CPU. So, I am trying to use RATT.exe to create a log file that will tell me what is up. However, when i go to command prompt and type ratt -start and it starts creating a log. When it is done it should be in the {machine name.cswa-accumulator.txt} format. Mine is always just called current.etl, so can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong? Wordpad opens the current.etl and its not human readable so it is of no use to me.

More about : ratt create log

February 20, 2012 5:01:36 PM

And it really slows down my computer, to the point where i want to put a bullet through it.

My CPU is Intel Core i5-2400 @3.1 GHz, which should definitely be able to handle these things.
Related resources
February 20, 2012 8:56:44 PM

If nobody in this forum has an answer, does anyone know of a forum to ask this sort of question in?
a b \ Driver
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 9:29:18 PM

1. Read the forum rules. Do not bump posts.

2. You already posted and said you were trying to run a sever, video chat, and run minecraft at once.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/326494-28-what
Minecraft is a very CPU intensive game. Thats just how it is. If you have a p67 or z68 board overclock your CPU.

3. "My CPU is Intel Core i5-2400 @3.1 GHz, which should definitely be able to handle these things." "these things" does not = at idle

4. Don't use RATT. open task manager and sort by cpu time or percent usage, use the resource monitor, or the performance monitor.

5. Don't use RATT. If you don't know how to google you won't have any idea how to read an event trace.

6. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=open+etl+file
February 20, 2012 9:33:27 PM

1. I know that

2. "System Idle Process" Takes up 90% of CPU without Minecraft or oovoo running

4. I read that RATT is useful for identifying driver problems that would cause "system idle process" to take up so much space

5. You really don't think I tried googling how to do this?

6. My problem is not to open the etl file, i did that with wordpad and event viewer, my problem is it shouldn't be giving me an etl file
a b \ Driver
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 9:41:38 PM

Yankees1327 said:
1. I know that

2. "System Idle Process" Takes up 90% of CPU without Minecraft or oovoo running

4. I read that RATT is useful for identifying driver problems that would cause "system idle process" to take up so much space

5. You really don't think I tried googling how to do this?

6. My problem is not to open the etl file, i did that with wordpad and event viewer, my problem is it shouldn't be giving me an etl file

1. if you know it then don't do it or people won't help you.

2. So you don't have a problem. "System Idle Process" is exactly what it sounds like. when you aren't dong anything 90% of your CPU is idle.

4. See 2. System idle process is the percentage of your CPU time that is not being used. Because there is nothing for it to do. You couldn't have read that RATT is good for this because if you had read anything about system idle process you would know this.

5. I really really don't think you googled for it. It should be an etl file. it is a binary file. you can't open it in wordpad, and microsoft is more than happy to tell you how to open it. Also there's the whole google and system idle process bit again.

99. The description of system idle process in task manager is "the percentage of time the processor is idle"
February 17, 2013 2:37:07 PM

I had this problem with an older P4 system running XP pro and it turned out to be a registry issue. The CUP was running at 99% and the drive was intensive using a heavy swap file. I blew off the copy of windows and reloaded after checking the drivers for my hardware and it settled back down to normal. Windows is a finicky old beast, It whines like a baby if you don't feed it everything in exact order.

You folks that have reloaded and could not get the issue to go away... well you have a virus or spyware that will not erase under windows. Blow off your hard drive with Linux and load something such as ubuntu or mint desktop. If the system remains stable then re-load windows. the virus should have been eliminated with the Unix hard drive format you performed while installing Linux. If you need a more powerful version of Linux then get Cent-OS and completely re-configure your hard drive.

I reformatted my window virus magnet with Linux and then reloaded windows and it returned to its normal function. Best solution is to dual boot windows with a copy of Linux along side. Even better if you can run Windows in virtual mode inside Linux, then you simply blow it away and start over with a new virtual version. Gamers you will need to run both windows and Linux. Do all your browsing and stuff such as e-mail, documents and such, on the Linux side and leave the windows side specifically for playing games. if you must go on the web for your games, make sure that you use programs within your browser which are extremely restrictive to cookies and such (they stream these in the packages you are receiving, that is where the viruses come from). If you are watching video from the web. Restrict your Adobe Flash player so it can not use your camera nor your microphone and that it is very restricted to downloading content.... A pain I know but this is the world of windows... if you must use it. Because windows is common on PCs, every pimple popper in the world uses it as their delivery system for the viruses they just learned how to create. Linux has so many distrios that it would be near impossible to effect them all. In the future (next 2 years) this will be resolved by issuing CPU's with the software embedded ... OSX is the first to release this technology... Microsoft will be ten years behind Apple. Viruses will become far more difficult to administer at that point as you will need very specific code to write to the hardware.
!