Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need help with ATI Radeon 7500! (win98se)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2012 12:49:57 PM

Hi everyone. Just yesterday I tried to install an ATI Radeon 7500 64 mb graphics card onto my Windows 98 SE computer. I got the correct driver, did everything I was supposed to so, restarted to computer when prompted to, and the computer booted up just fine up until the operating system finishes loading. After the boot screen shows it wil finish loading and then the screen goes blank. The graphics card works fine, it just doesn't show anything after all the DOS boot screens. What should I do? (Also if it matters I was switching from a Nvidia GeForce 2 MX card so the sims 2 would run faster :D )

Here's my specs
Operating System: Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) A
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~900MHz
Memory: 640MB RAM
Graphics card name: 32MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX (Dell)
Monitor: Dell E773c

this is the kind of graphics card i have http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbusMpv34JfM-i...
September 14, 2012 1:21:05 PM

does anyone know my problem and what to do?
Score
a c 159 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 1:25:48 PM

Sims games like a fast CPU not just a Video card, it will run a bit faster but not by much.

I'd just spend $80-100 and buy a newer P4 system, should be able to get around a 2.8-3 gig P4 that is 10 times faster than your system for that much, running XP. May be able to find one around $50 you look around a bit but it will probably be an earlier generation system with AGP. You should try to find a later model P4 system that has a PCIe slot. I've even seen some dual-core systems for sale around $100.
Score
Related resources
September 14, 2012 1:35:56 PM

Thanks, but can you shine some light on the situation with my current graphics card? Why doesnt my computer boot up completely?
Score
a c 159 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 1:44:42 PM

servingspoon said:
Thanks, but can you shine some light on the situation with my current graphics card? Why doesnt my computer boot up completely?

Could be a bunch of reasons, bad video card, issue with the video port on the motherboard, power supply issue, RAM issue.

Would be a lot easier to just swap out the system unless you have a second computer to test the card in, or a second card to test in your system that's similar.
Score
September 14, 2012 1:48:05 PM

This is the only ATI card I have. I know it works, it used to be the graphics card for my sister's win98 before she moved out. Maybe I should swap out some of the peices from her computer and put them into mine?
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 1:53:21 PM

Did you uninstall the old drivers and restart the computer before isntalling the new driver ? this is win 98 we are talking about here. This is the kind of thing that HAD to be done,

I had that video card, but had to replace it when it could not play unreal 2 at a non stuttering frame rate.
September 14, 2012 2:25:10 PM

So I need to uninstall NVIDIA? Ok, I will try that.
Score
September 14, 2012 2:25:26 PM

Best answer selected by servingspoon.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 2:39:52 PM

Uninstall them both and restart the computer then install the radeon drivers
Score
a c 159 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 2:59:58 PM

servingspoon said:
So I need to uninstall NVIDIA? Ok, I will try that.

So this "I got the correct driver, did everything I was supposed to so," is not exactly true. You need to uninstall the old drivers before installing the ones which is not doing everything you were supposed to do. I thought you went through the setup instructions for the card and it was not working after that.
Score
September 14, 2012 3:05:03 PM

What you told me to do worked. Thank you soooo much!
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 6:31:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!