New PSU needed? (EVGA 660 Superclocked)

Belso

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hi there. Yesterday I bought an EVGA 660 Superclocked 2GB Graphics card and recieved it today. I placed it in my machine and did all the drivers etc... I opened up Skyrim and it did it's checks and said I could play on Ultra High quality. I pressed okay and started playing, the game loaded and then my PC shut itself down. Also this week I bought the new AMD FX-8350 and installed it today.

Here is what is in my system now:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: Asus M5A88-M EVO
RAM: Crucial Ballistix (2x4 GB)
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
GPU: EVGA GeForce 660 Superclocked 2GB
PSU: Arctic Blue 850W

I built my machine in the Summer. I upgraded my CPU from the AMD FX-4100 to the FX-8350, I upgraded my GPU from the Sapphire Radeon HD6570. I PC was fine before that.

If anyone could be of assisstance and help guide me in the right way I'd be forever thankful.

Thanks,

Jason

An 850W PSU should be more than enough for your setup. I am not sure of the brand but it should still work.

So did you install the 660 and CPU at the same time or did you install the 660 first and had this issue and then you installed the CPU. Just trying to get your timeline down.

I would check temps and make sure they are on in check. It could be a CPU cooler not installed right and when you hit the game it overheats, it could be a driver issue, it could be a bad component.

I would start with temps. You can stress test your system with OCCT and do a CPU and then GPU test and see if your system crashes on either. http://www.ocbase.com/

NV88

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
That PSU is rubbish. It only has one PCI-E connector. One, for a 850w PSU. Replace it with a Corsair TX 750 v2. Seasonic internals, built to last, 5yr warranty, and it has 4 PCI-E connectors.

Belso

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

In the process of doing the stress test right now, 37 mins in and nothing has happened really.

It must be my PSU, as soon as the Graphics card kicks in from being idle and into "hardcore" gaming it cuts out.

I guess I'll need to invest in the PSU NV88 suggested. I only chose the PSU I have just now because I didn't have a lot of money and I was only 15 and jobless at the time.

Did you perform both the CPU and GPU stress tests? If OCCT doesn't kill your GPU I can't imagine it would in game. If you really want to test your PSU run the OCCT Power Supply test. It will run both your CPU and GPU full boar at the same time. If it survives that, I can not imagine it is your PSU. Again watch temps.

Belso

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

I did that Power Supply option just 5 minutes ago, the machine turned off almost instantly. I guess I need to invest in a new PSU?

I also saw that my GPU is powered by a 6-pin with 2 PCIe cables attached to it. Do I need to use bot or can I leave one. This is the first computer I have ever built and I'm still a bit of a noob.

OR

If I find a 6-pin that I am not using from the PSU, can I just connect it directly to the GPU?

Ok so help be visualize this. You have the GTX660. That card has a 6 pic PCI-E connector on the side. Do you have a 6 pin PCI-E cable plugged into this?

What do you mean by "a 6-pin with 2 PCIe cables attached to it"

Belso

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

The cable looks like this: http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/assets/alt_2/02G-P4-3662-KR.jpg

Should I just be able to connect the GPU directly or do I need to use that ^. I think it's that cable that is causing the bother.

NV88

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
You need 2 six pins for that card. The PSU only has one. So you need an adaptor like in the picture for another six pin. I'd just get a proper PSU though. The one you have is very poor.

that adapter is a (2) molex power connector to (1) PCI-E connector. With the GTX 660 you have the card itself should only have (1) plug for a PCI-E 6 pin. According to this link, which I think might be your PSU, it has (1) cable already for this. You should plug this cable from your PSU directly into the GPU plug without needing an adapter.
http://www.internetct.co.uk/850warticbluequietquadrailpsupowersupplyunit120mmfan-p-1213.html

Please confirm your video card only has (1) plug, and not (2).
Also, confirm your PSU has (1) PCI-E cable to plug into it.