Black Friday/Cyber Monday: To build or not to build?

crashjupiter

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
(See additional comments for explanation/introduction.)

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Black Friday / Cyber Monday

Budget Range: $500-1000 (no more than $500 without Amazon. See below.)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, word processing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everything but the graphics card.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I've got XP still.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg.com, Amazon.com. I would prefer Amazon or other companies through Amazon, as I've got an Amazon card, which makes the budget more flexible.

Parts Preferences: I would like an i5 or i7 core, but I'm not set on that. I am set, however, on something that will last me at least 5 years of goodness.

Overclocking: No?

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: Shooting for 1920x1200, but will accept a little less. I currently have an ASUS AMD Radeon HD 6850 GDDR5 1 GB Video Card and don't plan on replacing it for a while.

Additional Comments: My big question here is whether it will be better to find a Black Friday / Cyber Monday desktop deal and put the graphics card I already have into it, then upgrade bits and pieces over time, or to build from scratch. Essentially, is it better to grab one of those deals for the monitor/case/processor/mobo/OS combo and then upgrade the RAM, graphics card, etc. (I already have that decent GPU I bought less than a year ago), or build from the ground up, even though I've never done anything to that extent.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I want to prepare for more and better gaming, plus XP is going the way of the dodo. If I'm going to upgrade my OS, I'm going to upgrade the whole shebang. I definitely want to be rolling nicely by the time Elder Scrolls Online hits. I am in no huge hurry, except for the question of Black Friday/Cyber Monday looming large.

Thanks!