Audio/Light Gaming Build

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hi, I am currently in the process of building a new PC that will primarily be used for Audio recording/editing and secondary usage will be for light gaming (at no more than 720p - 1360x768). Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Note: I do not live in the US so prices are very different, although by budget for this PC is around $860 (Low Budget due to audio equipment costs) @ the following store:
http://www.ikonicit.co.za/

Components:
CPU: Intel i5-3470
RAM: GEIL Blackdragon 2x4Gb 1333MHz *
GFX: nVidia Geforce GTX550Ti
PSU: Corsair CX500 *
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus *
Optical Device: Liteon DVD Writer
Motherboard: MSI H77MA-G43 *
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1Tb
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb

Notes:
1. RAM: Super cheap that's why I went for the GEIL vs other brands. Will it perform?
2. PSU: Will 500W be enough? I know this is a budget PSU..that's why I've considered it :p
3. Case: Any objections?
4. Motherboard: No Overclocking of any parts will be done.

Any tips/advice will be much appreciated :)

Solution
Hello
You look all set, that is nice choice of parts. One notice though, lite-on is not reliable opt. drive may die on you (judging by what other people on this forum written)

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks butremor,

I chose the liteon because I've had liteon's in the last 3 PC's I've had with no problems whatsoever (I burn looootsa dvd's for my home theatre collection). Whereas my samsung's have burnt out twice. Guess it's just a good batch/bad batch thing perhaps?

I've heard some of the ASUS stuff is actually manufactured by liteon...

Any other suggestions? :)

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Lol perhaps Samsung and Liteon have an agreement...you guys get the good samsung stuff and we get the first grade liteon products :p

Your help is much appreciated butremor I just needed someone to give me the go ahead :) Placing my order now. Ciao :)

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
UPDATE: Just to let you know I ended up buying the Samsung writemaster in the end coz the supplier was "out of stock: xD aswell as my cheapie Geil Ram..No wonder it was on special, swapped it out for Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz :)