Sign in with
Your question

New build help

Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2012 7:13:46 PM

Hey, First I'm pretty sure this is in the right section, But I'm sorry if it isn't.

I am looking at parts for a new system, In terms of graphics I just wanted clarification.. In future I plan on buying something like a Nvidia GeForce 660Ti, But until I can afford that I plan on using on-board graphics with Intel 3570K (overclocked with after-market fan) Looking at benchmarks this seems better (not overclocked) than my current discrete graphics which is ATI Radeon HD 5450...Would I be better not re-using my current graphics and using on-board until I purchase the new card...Or should I continue using my ATI Radeon HD 5450?

Thanks,
QSBladey :pt1cable: 

More about : build

November 10, 2012 7:35:41 PM

Hi QSBladey - if the benchmarks are better for the on-board than go with that and save for a new card. Plus, it will outperform even more when you overclock.

Best,
Mel
November 10, 2012 7:41:20 PM

I was mainly wondering if what I have seen in benchmarks is correct or I had missed something.

Thanks.
Related resources
November 10, 2012 7:48:00 PM

Well Tom's lists Intel HD4000 many tiers above the 5450. I don't think you have anything to lose by trying the onboard and if it totally sucks compared to what you were used to with the 5450 you can just drop in the 5450. But if you are happy enough with the onboard, then don't use the 5450.

Reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
November 10, 2012 7:50:04 PM

Yes Intel HD 4000 outperforms the Radeon 5450 but that isn't saying much. It will suffice for games on the lowest settings and you will probably need to play at no higher than a 720p resolution. The 5450 is more for HTPCs and HD video playback, it is not a gaming card. Use your integrated GPU (Intel HD 4000) until you can afford a new discrete GPU.
November 10, 2012 7:55:03 PM

Thanks for your help. I'll use on board graphics til I can get my 660Ti..I know my 5450 is naff, But it was pretty much all my low end stock PSU could handle.
November 10, 2012 8:00:22 PM

What motherboard are you going to use for your i5? Those iGPUs can overclock pretty well. Give it a higher frequency and possibly some more voltage and you can squeeze for more performance out of it.
November 10, 2012 8:05:58 PM

I think possibly an Asus Z77 Sabertooth or a variation of an ATX P8Z77. I'm definitely thinking of Asus or Gigabyte. tempted to stay away from ASRock though, Heard some bad things about them.
November 10, 2012 8:13:20 PM

ASRock can be great. They had rough beginnings a few years back, but some of their current boards are top-notch. For example, their Z77 Extreme 4 is one of the most recommended Z77 boards if not already the most recommended Z77 board.
November 10, 2012 8:34:29 PM

Fair enough, I'll definitely take a look, I was originally thinking Z77 Sabertooth / P8Z77, But there's a decent price difference.
November 10, 2012 8:45:17 PM

QSBladey said:
Fair enough, I'll definitely take a look, I was originally thinking Z77 Sabertooth / P8Z77, But there's a decent price difference.

ASRock makes exceptional motherboards. They have ASUS quality at a lower pricepoint.
November 10, 2012 9:16:00 PM

Thanks for all your help, Looks like Ill probably end up with the ASRock Extreme4 unless I can find the P8Z77-v PRO on a BIG discount.

Rather than create a new thread..

Would anyone recommend getting a mid size SSD (60/80GB) for OS & Selected programs/games, or would I be better just buying a decent WD Black and putting the money towards the graphics card?
November 10, 2012 9:45:23 PM

What's your total budget looking like? What parts have you bought already?

Getting a nice GPU like the 660ti ASAP will enhance performance so much more than getting an SSD. SSD's are great, I can't have a PC without one anymore, especially because I reboot all the time for tuning overclocks in BIOS. But if you're just trying to game then you really need that GPU.

I like the 64GB SSDs because I only use my SSD for Windows, drivers, and a select few programs that benefit from it. Some people will suggest a larger one so you can put games on it. I don't notice any added benefit to having games on my SSD. I have a 128GB now with all my Origin games on the SSD (BF3, Crysis2, Crysis3 Beta) and I don't notice any difference than when I had them installed on my 7200RPM HDD.
November 10, 2012 10:01:47 PM

My total budget Is roughly £500 (Since I plan on buying the graphics card when I get more money) Though I can spend up to £800 If I need to.

Specs I'm thinking will be something similar to this:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ndU0

I will be gaming though until I get my graphics card it will be mainly used for Photoshop/Office work.
November 10, 2012 11:24:44 PM

An SSD is nice to have and it's overall simpler if you get the SSD now before you install your OS and all that. Pretty much any SSD will speed up your boot and update times vs a HDD, which for many people becomes worth it. In gaming you won't notice any difference in fps, but level-loads will be faster in most games.

But when considering gaming performance - stickg1 is right about you needing the graphics card since integrated is so limiting. I guess since you're used to a 5450, you should be able to grit it out until you can afford a good discrete card. But like I said - the SSD won't really do much for gaming aside from shorter load times.

As far as recommendations for SSDs, the M4 is known for great reliability. The Samsung 830 is excellent as well and would probably be what I'd be looking for. If you can squeeze it, a 120gb of the same version SSD will be faster than a 60gb and you'll obviously have more space. But again, for gaming specifically, the GPU should be your priority.
November 10, 2012 11:29:41 PM

larkspur said:
If you can squeeze it, a 120gb of the same version SSD will be faster than a 60gb and you'll obviously have more space.

A 120GB SSD is faster than a 60GB SSD?
November 10, 2012 11:30:16 PM

QSBladey said:
My total budget Is roughly £500 (Since I plan on buying the graphics card when I get more money) Though I can spend up to £800 If I need to.

Specs I'm thinking will be something similar to this:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ndU0

I will be gaming though until I get my graphics card it will be mainly used for Photoshop/Office work.

That power supply is way overkill. Step it down to a 620w Seasonic, here is one for example, you'll have to find something comparable in the UK.
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm also no crazy about your choice in CPU cooler. If you like it and are willing to spend the extra $30 over the Hyper 212 then go for it I guess.
November 10, 2012 11:32:36 PM

QSBladey said:
A 120GB SSD is faster than a 60GB SSD?

When they're the same family, yes. The same is often true for hard drives too (a 4TB model is faster than an otherwise identical 1TB model).
November 10, 2012 11:44:18 PM

stickg1 said:
That power supply is way overkill. Step it down to a 620w Seasonic, here is one for example, you'll have to find something comparable in the UK.
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - $90

I'm also no crazy about your choice in CPU cooler. If you like it and are willing to spend the extra $30 over the Hyper 212 then go for it I guess.

What do you think about this CPU Cooler? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phanteks-PH-TC14PE-CPU-Cooler-Red/dp/B005ORDOBQ
I plan on overclocking it and don't want it to overheat... Though I know as long as I don't increase the voltages too much I should be ok.

and this for a PSU? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Power-Modular-Supply/dp/B000WL5WXW/ref=sr_1_75?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1352598269&sr=1-75
November 10, 2012 11:54:45 PM

I wouldn't use that cooler. It isn't a Direct Touch Heatpipes cooler and that is a feature that you don't want to lack on a cooler for an Ivy Bridge CPU.

Around that price, this would probably be the better way to go for a CPU cooler:

I'm not familiar with that family of Cooelr Master PSUs and would have to do a little research before answering about it.

EDIT: It's an okay power supply, but it's nothing special and IDK if I'd call it worth the price.
!