My build for gaming, video rendering and streaming. Thoughts?

Hi, i'm intending to put together this build shortly which will (hopefully) be supporting mostly heavy MMO-gaming (WoW, GW2 and also SC2) at max settings, rendering of a lot of videos recorded in games and 720p/1080p streaming. Worth noting is that this will be with 2560x1440 resolution. I'm not especially experienced with overclocking and will aim for about 4.3/4.4 on the CPU initially. With the GPU i'm not sure what to aim for considering i've never tried it before.

The things i assume could be worth upgrading are perhaps the RAM and a bigger SSD. But i'm not sure if it will be necessary, any pointers on that and potentially other parts? I have about 250-300$ left on my budget to spend if i need to. Much appreciated.

MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 Vengenace LP 1600mhz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 Ghz-Edition VAPOR-X 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
PSU: Corsair TX 750W V2 ATX12V
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14 S-1155/1156/1366/AM3
5 answers Last reply
More about build gaming video rendering streaming thoughts
  1. I'd definitely go for 16GB of DDR3 memory for the non-gaming work there and probably of a higher frequency. Rendering can utilize fast RAM pretty well, unlike most other software.

Also, although it's a great cooler, Ivy Bridge doesn't like the NH-D14 as much as some lower end coolers because Ivy likes Direct Touch heatpipe coolers and the NH-D14 does not have Direct Touch Heatpipes. Something such as a Tuniq Tower Extreme may be able to overtake the NH-D14 on Ivy CPUs while being a little cheaper.

The rest of your components are good, although I wouldn't go for the Z77 SabreTooth. It's needlessly expensive IMO. I suggest something such as the ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 as a cheaper alternative.
  2. Interesting, is it preferred to buy higher frequency RAM or will overclocking work? Also if i would to overclock it, it's a good idea to use 2x 8GB sticks, am i right?

If anyone else has an opinion on the build i'd be very happy!
  3. I'd just buy higher frequency, something like this kit:
    2x8GB DDR3-1866 10-11-10-30

Usually, I'd recommend a DDR3-1600 2x4GB kit, but with heavy rendering and such, a little more may go a long way.
  4. The emphasis will definitely be on the gaming though, and what mostly worried me was the visual expectations with 2560x1440 resolution. I've heard some say there can be a horrible drop in FPS while some say it won't be an issue with good components. But taking streaming and video recording into account that's where i start to feel uncertain.

I will probably go with 16GB RAM for sure though considering how cheap it is.
  5. Your graphics card should be fine at 2560x1440. With some good overclocking, I'd go as far as to call it excellent.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product