ASRock Z77 Pro3 w/ i5-3570K not booting correctly.

DavrosLondon

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hi everyone. I've just out this build together but I'm having some issues.

ASRock Z77 Pro3
i5-3750k ivy bridge
2xcorsair vengeance 4gb ram
OCZ ZS 650w PSU
Crucial M4 SSD
(Note that I don't have a graphics card yet.)

When I turn the system on, the CPU and case fans start but nothing else happens. I have a VGA cable connected to my monitor but there is no input. I've also tried connecting the VGA cable and HDMI cable (not at the same time) to 2 different TVs but nothing.

I would expect that even without a graphics card the onboard graphics of the 3750k should work in the meantime?

I've tried using 1 stick of ram in different slots, resetting the bios by removing the battery for 5 minutes, tried refitting the CPU but I'm out of ideas.

Could it be that any gpu graphics are disabled by default in the bios?

Is there anything else I can try!? Any help much appreciated guys..

DavrosLondon

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks but I've tried that. The 24pin and 8 pin 12v cables are connected. Although the first time I turned on the system the 12v cable wasn't plugged in. Could that have damaged something?

Steve Tech

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Mate,

It is quite an easy fix but it took me days to figure. I thought it was graphic related (tried new graphics cards, HDMI cables, DVI, VGA and different monitors etc.

FIX:
remove the battery from the motherboard for a few seconds, it resets the flash bios memory settings. Now re check your cabling from the front of the machine with the power button - you have simply put the + & - wires on the wrong terminals and turned the computer on - I did this at the first attempts, and read the manual a few mins later - but spents days going over my work not knowing the BIOS needed to be reset.

Hope it helps

Steve

jmarlin

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Steve - you're a good man sir. I had reversed this exactly as you did. Finally found your post and viola!

Thank you,
Jason