Newbie's Intel CPU install

G

I bought an old Intel motherboard (430 FX Socket 7) without a CPU. The box says it supports Pentium 75-200 MHz (Classic) CPUs.

I found a good deal on a Socket 7, 200 MHz Pentium MMX CPU for it. Im concerned that since the box recommends (Classic) I can't use the MMX?
Otherwise would a 160MHz MMX CPU be a better solution

When upgrading CPUS, is it safe to presume that if the CPU MHz rating is the same as the motherboard, it will work or theres more to it than that?

CPU Confused

G

The only thing you should be conserned about, is voltages. if I remember correctly, the MMX chips required quite a bit less voltage than the Pentium classic. Its often written on the chip. Check if you can adjust the voltage. Also, didnt the MMX chip introduce the 'split voltage' for I/O ? If your motherboard doesnt support that, dont even try. You will fry your cpu.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You won't fry your CPU, you just have to make sure it doesn't overheat. The MMX is 2.8v core, while the standard voltage is 3.3v. Additionally, the VRE voltage available on most of those boards is 3.5v.
I often put MMX processors on such boards, using cheap Celeron coolers to provide adequate cooling, at the 3.3v setting. You may be lucky enough to have an unlocked CPU, in which case 233MHz is available using the 100MHz setting (internally converted from 1.5x to 3.5x by the CPU) If your BIOS is new enough it will show it at 233, if not it will show something other than 233, but will still run at 233. If it's locked and set at 100, it will show 133.
As I said, even though it's not officially recommended, I often use 2.8v processors at 3.3v, and have never had one fail. I warrantee my systems.
So I recommend you make sure it's set for VR (3.3v) not VRE (3.5v) and go ahead with it. And try the 1.5x (100MHz) setting to find out if it's unlocked, to obtain 233MHZ, and if unsuccesfull, use the 3.0x setting.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?