Sign in with
Your question

Feedback first build

Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2012 8:27:53 PM

Hi guys
This is my fist build, so I would like some feedback from you guys about the parts and all.
The parts:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard
Intel core I5 3570K CPU
Asus GTX 670 dc2 2gd5 GPU
Seasonic x650 80 gold PSU
OCZ Vertex 4 128 gb SSD
G.SKILL ripjawsx 8 gb memory
Western digital caviar black 500gb HDD
Coolermaster V6 GT CPU Cooler
Rosewill blackhawk case
Fan controller (suggestions?)
optical drive

Also a
Razer blackwidow gaming keyboard and an Asus monitor.
Is there anything else i should add or any suggestions for other parts?

Thanks anyway :) 

More about : feedback build

November 10, 2012 8:52:26 PM

If you want a GTX 670, then this is the best model to get:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt6030210...

Also, your PSU choice is overkill I'd recommend going with a cheaper model such as this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-caps...

This is a similarly great quality motherboard, but its cheaper:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77extr...

Your SSD choice is great, your CPU choice is great, your memory choice is good, your hard drive choice is good, your case choice is good, and your CPU cooler choice is good.
November 11, 2012 6:46:03 AM

Thanks man :) 
Related resources
November 11, 2012 7:44:03 AM

Hi
If you plan on overclocking then you're okay to go, BUT
if not, THEN
save some money and get Z75 or H77 motheboard and i5-3470.
Make sure you get SATA3 HDD, it is much faster than SATA2.
November 11, 2012 4:05:05 PM

What makes you think a SATA 3 hard drive is faster than a SATA 2hard drive, let alone much faster? The hard drives are hardly ever bottle-necked by even first gen SATA! Sure, their cache can be faster, but it doesn't make a huge difference, especially when the hard drive is just being used as a data drive rather than a boot drive.
November 11, 2012 5:22:47 PM

blazorthon said:
What makes you think a SATA 3 hard drive is faster than a SATA 2hard drive, let alone much faster? The hard drives are hardly ever bottle-necked by even first gen SATA! Sure, their cache can be faster, but it doesn't make a huge difference, especially when the hard drive is just being used as a data drive rather than a boot drive.

Because sata2 is 3 gb ans sata3 is 6GB. But wait, are you saying there is no difference between them? Then why sata3 was developed? And if there is only one hdd in rig which means this hdd is boot drive?
November 12, 2012 12:10:57 AM

butremor said:
Because sata2 is 3 gb ans sata3 is 6GB. But wait, are you saying there is no difference between them? Then why sata3 was developed? And if there is only one hdd in rig which means this hdd is boot drive?

There is an SSD in the rig, so the SSD would be the boot drive.

Not many hard drives are bottle-necked by even first generation SATA which is 1.5Gigabitsper second and due to the 8/10 bit encoding used in SATA, that equates to 150Megabytes per second of bandwidth. The hard drive doesn't actually transfer data that fast, that's just the point at which the interface becomes a bottle-neck. It's rare for consumer hard drives to be fast enough to be bottle-necked by even first-gen SATA regardless of what version of SATA they use. New versions of SATA are mostly made because of SSDs that can go pretty much as fast as their designers want them to. In order for hard drives to be bottle-necked by second gen SATA, you'd need like three or four hard drives in a RAID configuration all connected to the same port or you'd need two modern 15KRPM hard drives such as what go into soem top of the line enterprise computers.

The only use for SATA 3 in hard drives is for a small improvement in performance due to being able to use faster cache on the hard drive and for a new marketing gimmick to trick people into thinking that these newer hard drives are much faster than most older drives when they are in fact not much faster at all.

Also, SATA 3 is 6Gb/s, not 6GB/s. SATA 2 is 3Gb/s and SATA is 1.5Gb/s. The seemingly minor difference in the case of the "B" is a huge difference in meaning. Lower case b is bits and capitalized B is Bytes. For SATA, bytes have ten bits (instead of the usual eight because there are two bits added to each eight-bit byte transferred), so if SATA 3 was 6GB/s, it'd be a whole ten times higher bandwidth than it actually is.
!