Solved

How should I upgrade my 4y/o custom build?

In 2008 I built my own desktop. Four years later, the only thing I have upgraded is the video card, and the system is really starting to show its age. When I have a few programs running (generally chrome with a bunch of tabs, word, PP, matlab, etc) everything really slows down.

My specs:
core 2 duo e8400 (OC to 3.6ghz)
4gb DDR2 ram
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1 GB
WD 500gb 7200rpm hd
cooler master hyper 212+
windows 7 64bit

At first I figured I could replace the mobo and add 16gb of ddr3 ram, but then I realized my old cpu wouldnt fit in the new socket. Is there any way I could get more speed out of it, or is it time for a new one?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade custom build
  1. time to build new system
  2. New one, trying to upgrade it will result in an entirely new rig anyway.

The components I would keep would be the 212+, the HDD as a secondary storage drive and the case (if its any good).
  3. Best answer
    I agree, it is time for a new build.

If you wanted, adding 4gb of ram would help your current performance while multitasking.
    But, DDR2 ram is relatively expensive.

From a cpu point of view, the E8400 at stock has a passmark# of 2199. More with your oc.

A modern $220 3570K quad will be 7151 running at 3.4 stock. An oc of 4.3 is easy.
    A $320 3770K with hyperthreading at stock is 9623, and again a OC of 4.3 is reasonable.

A Z77 based motherboard will be $150.

DDR3 ram is very cheap $70 for 16gb.

A real boost to your performance would be a SSD. a 120gb ssd will be <$1 per gb.
    Use your old HDD for storage and backup.
  4. Really the only thing worth upgrading now is the CPU. Upgrading anything else will just result in a completely new build. You can buy a decent Motherboard/CPU/RAM bundle for around $250, and still use the rest of your parts. An SSD might be a good idea too, because HDD's begin failing after about five years.
  5. Best answer selected by snazzman2148.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product