stairbob

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hi guys/gals
So...I finally pulled the trigger on some hardware after going round and round for several months. (It seems the more I learn, the more confused I become) Here is what sits at my desk as we speak-
i5 3570k
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Hyper 212 Plus
Seagate Barracuda 2000 GB hdd
8 GB Vengeance LP DDR3 RAM
Lite-on 24x dvd
Cooler-Master HAF 912 case

The Corsair Builders seriesCX 750 atx came DOA and has been returned to amaz. I want at least a semi-modular PSU now. (too many cables hanging ......)
I did not purchase a GPU since my plan was to try the HD 4000 on-board to see how it compared to my 8400GS first. Now I want a discrete card. 7990, perhaps?
I'd like to know your thoughts on PSU's and GPU's for this build, please. Also wondering about an ssd and the benefits of same.
Money is not the issue. However, it is AN issue. (won't spend 1K on a GPU, maybe 1/2 that, though)
I also am not keen on another Corsair product after this experience. I'm considering at least 750w to power this card. Is this in the ballpark or do I need more? It's possible I will overclock and/or Crossfire the GPU's at a later date but don't intend that now.
Anyone have any thoughts they would be willing to share?
I've read that the 7990 is almost at the top of the food chain but maybe it's overkill? This board is not capable of SLI, I believe, so Radeon it is.
After reading a few posts on win8 I plan to buy 7.
Which one would you choose? (have a copy of XP but don't think it can utilize all the memory, correct?
I want to play games. I'm an old man but still enjoy them :) I'm also planning to power up my projector for streaming movies. The rest is basic stuff for now.
Thanks in advance
bob