Closed Solved

Which of these slots do I plug my 7870 into?

http://imgur.com/VBx2u

My old one was plugged into the non-blue one, but I think the 7870 needs PCIe 2.0 or higher, are those the blue ones? I just want to be sure. Motherboard is an ASUS M4A87TD Evo.

Unrelated, the people who built this pc ran a wire from my psu to the top of my mobo that I'm worried will prevent me from having enough room. Is there any way around it, can it be plugged in somewhere else? Am I screwed?
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which slots plug 7870 into
  1. You can move the wire so it travels between the card and the motherboard. I would put it in the top slot, but it should work either way.
  2. Deemo13 said:
    You can move the wire so it travels between the card and the motherboard. I would put it in the top slot, but it should work either way.


    I'm not sure it has clearance with that blue thing above it if I put it there, will it work in one of the light blue slots or the black one? What is the difference between them?
  3. i ran my mobo cable between the mobo and the card. Enough space near front of the card.

    Also, take a pic and post it up. that might help a bunch.

    thank you.
  4. copperkat said:
    I'm not sure it has clearance with that blue thing above it if I put it there, will it work in one of the light blue slots or the black one? What is the difference between them?


    I would check your manual for the difference. But it is always best to plug the GPU into the top slot.
  5. blue is x16 black is x4.

    going to have to get it into the top blue slot :(
  6. inerax said:
    blue is x16 black is x4.

    going to have to get it into the top blue slot :(


    It seems there is room to run it between. I did post a picture, do you mean one showing more of the mobo? So the longer black one my old card was in is x4, so are the light blue ones? So I have to get it into that dark blue one up top?
  7. inerax said:
    i ran my mobo cable between the mobo and the card. Enough space near front of the card.

    Also, take a pic and post it up. that might help a bunch.

    thank you.


    There is room to use the top slot! Just checked. That thing that sticks up on the end of the slot, will that line up with something on the card and snap in out of the way? Sorry I'm being really cautious, first big gpu purchase.
  8. Best answer
    wont fit in the light blue ones. you are going to have to get into the dark blue one.

    that is the only x16 slot you have. if you put the card into a x4 slot it will work but you are going to loose performance.
  9. i did not see the pic before. I would stick the cable to the left of the dark blue slot about 1/2 to 1 inch. There should be room to fit between the card and the mobo.

    if you need a example of this let me know and I can shoot a pic over
  10. Lol its alright to be cautious. The top blue slot is the one you want. And once you get the GPU in there, you'll probably be able to figure out how to wire your cables.
  11. inerax said:
    i ran my mobo cable between the mobo and the card. Enough space near front of the card.

    Also, take a pic and post it up. that might help a bunch.

    thank you.


    Here it is in: http://imgur.com/sSKmn

    How can I tell if it's in all the way? Should there be an audible snap?
  12. Well it's not loose in that it doesn't just pop back out, is that what I'm looking for?
  13. might be a snap. Just make sure it is pushed in snug. the motherboard does have a clip to hold in the gpu.

    It is the blue arm in the top right of the slot. I would make sure that is holding the GPU and then screw in the GPU to the case.

    plug in power (if needed) and you should be set. :)
  14. inerax said:
    might be a snap. Just make sure it is pushed in snug. the motherboard does have a clip to hold in the gpu.

    It is the blue arm in the top right of the slot. I would make sure that is holding the GPU and then screw in the GPU to the case.

    plug in power (if needed) and you should be set. :)


    The card goes in upside-down from what I can tell. So normally that arm is on bottom holding the gpu up, but in this case it's on top?
  15. copperkat said:
    The card goes in upside-down from what I can tell. So normally that arm is on bottom holding the gpu up, but in this case it's on top?


    i have an antec 1200 case and the arm is on the top. the GPU fan should be facing the bottom of the case.

    But yes, the little arm is on the top of the card.
  16. Yes the fan faces upside down.
  17. Best answer selected by copperkat.
  18. Thank you so much inerax and deemo, you were very helpful. I ended up running it behind the slot after trying the front and not being sure if it was too snug. It fit decently under the support arm, which also helped keep it out of the way when snapping it in.
  19. Just make sure to screw it in!
  20. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards Graphics