Parts Review - Gaming PC

Whacked

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: +/- 90 Days

Budget Range: <$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet

Are you buying a monitor: No – Existing ViewSonic 24”

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, MB, RAM, SDD, Heatsink(?) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using** Stock Dell XPS 630i PS 750watt

Do you need to buy OS: No – Win 7 -64bit
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, NewEgg, Microcenter

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Gigabyte, ATI

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes – Existing XFX 5770 Xfire config

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Do the upgrade thing every 3 to 5 years. Last PC was a Dell XPS 630i. Wanted Xfire setup, so installed a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P and overclocked cpu from 2.4 to 3.2.
Existing rig: Q6600 2.4 overclocked to 3.2. Dual XFX 5770 XFire, 6gb 800mhz RAM, CD, DVD, Logi G15

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Overall, it’s time and the stars are aligned and the wife said yes. Mostly play games, BF3, CoD, WarHammer, Quicken, internet. Want to do another upgrade that lasts 3 to 5 years with some future proofing. i.e PCI 3.0, USB 3.0. Talking to a friend about SSD boot times. 22 seconds versus 3 min. Sign me up!
I used Amazon to pick all my parts, but that was for convenience. I have seen the prices lower on other sites, NewEgg, MicroCenter, etc. Overall I would like validation that I picked out “good stuff” that will overall work together and will give me some bragging rights for a day or two. I have been building my own for years, but want something I don’t have to futz with after the initial build.
Goals:
1. Reduce boot time via SDD (mSATA) plug in on MB
2. Minimum 2 PCI 2.0 slots for existing Xfire. Future PCI 3.0 slot.
3. Ability to overclock
4. Keep existing case. Say what you want about Dell, but on this one, they made a bitchin case.
5. Fastest reasonably priced CPU
6. Not to have to upgrade for another 3 to 5 years
7. Not push my wife’s forbearance on a “stupid game playing” machine by spending more than I have to.
Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts. Please do not post only links.
Currently priced at $813.39 via Amazon
Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H - $148
- Chose Gigabyte since I have had a few in the past. They have worked and the blue heatsinks are cool looking. Not married to it.
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K - $319
- Seems to be highest proc that is reasonably priced.
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler System - $59
- Unsure if stock heat sink is good enough for overclocking. This may be overkill, but my preference is to make heat a non-issue. Also not sure if it will fit on case. Dell XPS 630i.
SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC256B/WW - $189
- Even with the 840 out, this seems to be the current choice and has been proven.
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10) - $88
- Would be a shame to go less then 16gb. MB supports up to 2400, but 1866 is fine. Went with 8’s to have the ability to add 2 more down the road.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
well first off a hard drive will boot in about 40seconds, not 3 minutes.
Second, I would get an asrock extreme4 instead of the gigabyte, as it is a little cheaper. Get an i5 3570k. If you are trying to stay in a reasonable price an i7 is not the answer, and is basically pointless for gaming.
I would get rid of the liquid cooling as it is somewhat pointless. Also I looked at the cooler once and some people were saying that it leaked and fried their pc. Also, if you are spending low then a liquid cooler is not the answer, maybe get an evo12.
Next I would get a 750 watt psu, to leave room for cfx/sli. I would get a 7850 or 7870 depending on what you can fit into you budget. Then I would get the cheapest 2x4gb ram that you can get that has at least 4 stars on newegg. There is some for $30. Windows 7 or 8 is whichever one you would prefer. That should get you a pretty solid computer.
edit
I would also just get a new case. Dell has a lot of proprietary BS.

Whacked

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks for the response!

It does actually take 3 minutes from turning on system till hard drive stops and you can start a program. Anyways...

Spoke with someone at Fry's yesterday and they also recommended the i5 3570k. I am good with that and it saves $100.

Aside from the price point, any other reason to get an Asrock Extreme 4 over the Gigabyte UD3?

I am okay dumping liquid cooling, only reason was to make cooling a non issue. If stock works, I am fine with that.

Already have a 750watt ps, been running xfire for more than a year.

Why do you recommend 8 gb ram versus 16? Think I will stick with the 16gb.

So, outstanding question is mother board.