Can someone HELP ME i have a ScanDisk problem

dfoisy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
Whenever i try to run a Scan Disk, there is always a message telling me that it can't be performed because windows or a program is writing on the disk...... :-(
I tried everything, i can't seem to find how to get it done in order to defragment my disk...
I disabled my anti-virus (Norton 2002), I closed my internet connection (cable modem), all my programs are closed and it still won't perform a full ScanDisk with repairs (if necessary), it still tells me the same thing...

I use Windows98 SE

Thanks for your advice

Dan

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you turned off your screensaver?

Use Ctrl+Alt+Del to kill all running programs except Explorer and Systray before running the scan and see if that solves the problem.

You could also run SCANDISK from the Command Line after starting the computer with a boot disk. Here is a useful <A HREF="http://www.csulb.edu/~murdock/scandisk.html" target="_new">page</A> describing the various switches that can be used with the SCANDISK command.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I heard once that the best way to install new programs was to use the Task Manager and close everything but systray and explorer. I decided that it might help to do this prior to running Scandisk and Defrag, since both kept stopping on me. I have done this ever since, and it seems to work. BTW, I am running Win98.

Has anybody else ever heard about this?

One other thing, make sure that you disabled your screen saver . . . that can throw Scandisk and Defrag off, too.

VSP

<i> Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b> nwod </b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT </i>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
"Argh, <b>Toe</b>, ya beat me to it! Argh! I'll get you next time, matey!"

:wink:

Cursed fingers type too sloooooow!

VSP

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ROTFLMAO!

Toey

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

Grifter

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
check what is running via cntrl-alt-del
if you have Winamp it cheakily runs winampa in the background, i think it has something to do with update checking, i had the same problem until i got rid of winampa. Winamp will still work you can either endtask it or stop it from starting up in the first place through msconfig

Trying is the first step to failure

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Safe mode is ok, but I just can't stand looking at my world in 16 colors. :tongue:

Plus, with Win98, I just can't get enough of that wacky Ctrl+Alt+Del'ing! :eek:

I <b>love</b> the click/kill feel of Win2K's Task Mgr. Does XP have the same TM interface? Man, I gotta upgrade!

Worse than that is the Win95 s**thole that my work is stuck in. I keep forgetting that I can't Alt+Tab between Word docs at work!!!

<rant off>

VSP

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Yes, XP has the same type of task manager, I agree, find the process, and end it! none of this pressing CAD 15 times over lol

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?