Sign in with
Your question

GTX 570 Graphics Driver Has Stopped Responding

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2012 9:09:17 PM

Okay, so I've had this GTX 570 card for about 6 months now. About three months ago I started getting a problem where my computer display would seemingly randomly cut out to black - there would be no freeze, games would still continue to play (i could hear the sound from them), but I couldn't see anything. These problems became more and more frequent until I just RMAed the thing about four weeks ago.

I understand that the problem is a known issue, something like "Graphics Driver Has Stopped Responding And Been Restarted".

In any case, I got my RMA back and found that the problems have still continued, exactly as described above. EVGA tells me the card checked out fine (by then) when they had received it for the RMA, but they sent back a different, quality-assured card, same model.

My attempts at troubleshooting so far:

- Swapped the PCI slots on the card.
- Tested the RAM with memtest86, also swapped the RAM out during bootup to test THAT.
- Bought a new DVI cable.
- Switched the DVI output ports on the card. One of them gives me strange fragmenting when I use it, the other one is fragment-free.
- Swapped out the power supply (750w) with a new one (850w). Same problems.
- Have used basically every single NVIDIA/EVGA driver they have ever released. I've had a long time to look at this, so.
- Have used the mobo's graphics chipset. There were no problems with anything when I used the chipset.

Now, what I haven't done is try a new video card since they are ludicrously expensive.
I haven't put the card in a separate rig, I don't have one, and I don't have many computer-nerdy friends around here.

The problem might be something about voltages and BIOSes but I don't know anything about that. I do know that EVGA is swearing up and down that it isn't their card, but if the card and the RMA both have these problems...

and I've isolated all of my components that I know how to isolate...

what could it be? Build below. I'd appreciate any help or opinions anybody has to offer. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($183.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($105.50 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.60 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $997.53
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-14 16:08 EDT-0400)
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2012 11:15:51 PM

I would recommend the 7870 over the 570 at that price point.
m
l
September 14, 2012 11:17:42 PM

Me too, considering the problems I've had with the GTX. The problem is, I've already bought this system, I just didn't know how else to outline my rig without being needlessly spammy.

Feel free to ignore the pricetags and whatnot - what you see in that list is what I have right now.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2012 11:21:56 PM

Sorry, for some reason I thought that you were asking for build advice (that's usually what I assume when I see PCPartpicker)

I would test the GPU in another computer to narrow down the problem.
m
l
September 14, 2012 11:28:18 PM

Can't, don't have access to a second computer. Wish I did, though. All of my nerdy friends live pretty far away, the local guys wouldn't have a computer I could actually access like that.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 14, 2012 11:33:13 PM

Have you overclocked the card at all? I'm assuming temperature is not the issue.
m
l
September 14, 2012 11:36:40 PM

No overclocking on the card, idling temps are at about 38 C, have used a few benchmark/stress programs and achieved temperatures of the low 80s after a few minutes, card seemed to hang around that temp otherwise.

It doesn't seem to be a problem related to performance, other than a slightly more frequent occurence when I'm running several videos or Flash objects. High-end graphics don't really produce the driver errors.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:47:43 PM

i feel your pain bro, my EVGA GTX 570 is also plagued with random driver crashes, in my case the only time it ever did crash in-game was with World of tanks but it recovered ASAP and didn't effect performance a single bit! My most common random occurrence is when i close a game, and a almost sure way to cause a crash is open a flash related website(Youtube,FB Games) while a game(Dota 2) is running in the background then poof it crashes haha

It is indeed irritating but thankfully it doesn't seem to effect gaming performance, what i mentioned won't solve your problem but it might make you feel better knowing your not alone :) 
m
l
!