Solved

No power to system

First off, I'd like to say I read in detail the sticky post "PERFORM THESE STEPS..." and gone through each of these steps before posting this, as well as having read the manuals.

I don't know where to start. I have the entire machine built, and there is zero power anywhere. No fans, no LEDs, no POST beeps, nothing. All the connections are solid and well-set, no bent pins from what I can see, RAM is in the correct configuration according to the motherboard manual, I've triple checked the front panel orientation with the manual. I originally was planning on running crossfire video cards, but since nothing has been working I've tried each individually with no luck. I tried a barebone build as well where the only things connected were the CPU and heatsink, fan, 1 stick of RAM, both mobo and CPU power supplies were connected as well as the CPU fan, and one video card. Same results - no POST beep, no LED lights, no fans, nothing. If anyone can offer any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is my first build. Here's my part list:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Heat sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155
RAM: G.Skill Sniper series 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866
Video Card(s): Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 x2 (crossfire, but built with just one and still not working)
SSD: OCZ Agility 4 256GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Rosewell BlackHawk Mid ATX case
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power system
  1. Honestly, It sounds like you have a burnt PSU. Take a paperclip or any small conductive item and press it against any green and black wire. Or connect a casefan that uses a molex connector to the molex connectors on the PSU.
    If the PSU fan doesn't spin, you need a new PSU.
    Did the fan spin up?
  2. ^+1
    Try the paperclip method and see if it starts up a fan.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

Maybe even bring in a PSU that you know works and see if that will start the system.
  3. I was hoping it was the PSU, but I have already tried the paper clip and it powered some case fans when hooked directly up to the PSU
  4. Best answer
    Well you know the PSU isn't outright dead, but the paperclip method doesn't tell you its behavior under load.
    Best thing at this point is to use a PSU you know works and see if it starts the system. That way you can identify or rule out the current PSU as the problem.
  5. ^ Yeah. You could replace the PSU with a new one or better (CM isn't exactly known for top-of-the-line reliable PSUs) Either way, If you still have a problem with your system, the only thing left to suspect is the motherboard.
  6. It looks like I've solved the problem: borrowed a friend's PSU and the LEDs on the motherboard lit up for the first time when only the CPU and heatsink were on, and the heatsink's fan spun. So I'm happy I know the problem. If I have any others I'll be sure to check the forums and if I still can't figure it out, I'll let you all know. Thank you all!
  7. Best answer selected by Wilderbeasts.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems