Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No power to system

Last response: in Systems
November 10, 2012 10:56:34 PM

First off, I'd like to say I read in detail the sticky post "PERFORM THESE STEPS..." and gone through each of these steps before posting this, as well as having read the manuals.

I don't know where to start. I have the entire machine built, and there is zero power anywhere. No fans, no LEDs, no POST beeps, nothing. All the connections are solid and well-set, no bent pins from what I can see, RAM is in the correct configuration according to the motherboard manual, I've triple checked the front panel orientation with the manual. I originally was planning on running crossfire video cards, but since nothing has been working I've tried each individually with no luck. I tried a barebone build as well where the only things connected were the CPU and heatsink, fan, 1 stick of RAM, both mobo and CPU power supplies were connected as well as the CPU fan, and one video card. Same results - no POST beep, no LED lights, no fans, nothing. If anyone can offer any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is my first build. Here's my part list:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Heat sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155
RAM: G.Skill Sniper series 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866
Video Card(s): Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 x2 (crossfire, but built with just one and still not working)
SSD: OCZ Agility 4 256GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Rosewell BlackHawk Mid ATX case

More about : power system

November 10, 2012 11:03:06 PM

Honestly, It sounds like you have a burnt PSU. Take a paperclip or any small conductive item and press it against any green and black wire. Or connect a casefan that uses a molex connector to the molex connectors on the PSU.
If the PSU fan doesn't spin, you need a new PSU.
Did the fan spin up?
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2012 11:12:33 PM

I was hoping it was the PSU, but I have already tried the paper clip and it powered some case fans when hooked directly up to the PSU
m
l

Best solution

November 10, 2012 11:30:25 PM

Well you know the PSU isn't outright dead, but the paperclip method doesn't tell you its behavior under load.
Best thing at this point is to use a PSU you know works and see if it starts the system. That way you can identify or rule out the current PSU as the problem.
November 10, 2012 11:40:41 PM

^ Yeah. You could replace the PSU with a new one or better (CM isn't exactly known for top-of-the-line reliable PSUs) Either way, If you still have a problem with your system, the only thing left to suspect is the motherboard.
m
l
November 11, 2012 6:54:46 PM

It looks like I've solved the problem: borrowed a friend's PSU and the LEDs on the motherboard lit up for the first time when only the CPU and heatsink were on, and the heatsink's fan spun. So I'm happy I know the problem. If I have any others I'll be sure to check the forums and if I still can't figure it out, I'll let you all know. Thank you all!
m
l
November 11, 2012 6:55:29 PM

Best answer selected by Wilderbeasts.
m
l
!