The computer freezes during games and movies.

zoot365

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
n68c-s ucc motherboard
Amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 3.01 GHz
4 gb of ram
gt520 silent graphics card

I think it's the graphics card, but I don't know enough about it to know for sure.

zoot365

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Yes, the system is woefully outdated and is destined to be a nice planter and a cool mobile. But for the present I'm stuck with it.
The system as stated doesn't like any format and freezes with games, streaming video, and video from the hard-drive
I thought it might be running hot, but I work it pretty hard.
I took out the graphics card so now it's slow but stable in the games and the video streams and plays with out a problem.
What is it about the card, if the cards the problem, that makes it a problem?

zoot365

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
The card came with something like that. As far as I could tell it was running within spec.
Anyhow, I've taken the card out and the computer seems to be running smoothly; though I do expect the CPU to burn out any moment now being that it is the only bit of it that isn't straight-out-of-the-box.
Is there any reason why the graphics card might not like the other equipment?
I really miss that gig on the card.

zoot365

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
So I reinstalled the graphics card. Just after booting the temperature was 100f so I fired up Civ V and 30 seconds into the game the machine froze. I booted back up and the Smart Doctor read 104f. I fired up Civ V again and played for two hours without a hitch. When I shut the game down the temperature was reading at 140f.
Once the card cooled to 104f again I went to 1Channel and streamed a movie. Thirty minutes into it the computer spontaneously rebooted.
I'm thinking there is a problem somewhere.