Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadillac84

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I don't see how to search the forum, so I must admit I haven't done that, but . . .

I've recently assembled a Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP with a i5-3570K and I'm using the on-chip G-4000 to good effect, mostly!

Some large videos that would not play without multi-second jumping now play smoothly. So, most of the 1080 content I've assembled is now visible on the Samsung B-2230 which I chose as a low-cost interim display solution.

But I have a couple large video files (1080p) which continue to "jump" as they play. Nothing like as bad as when I tried playing them with eight year old graphics cards, but noticeably jerky nonetheless.

Since my new mobo has 3rd generation 16-bit PCI Express available, would I solve the rest of my problem with an add-in GPU?

I do not play games at all because I'm too old and my reflexes aren't good enough (neither is my brain good enough! :-D )

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chas

snipersam15

Honorable
May 25, 2012
The igpu on the 3570 can handle watching any type of video even blue ray if im not mistaken. See if drivers need upgrading if not that, get a new video player http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downloads/ is the best imo.

If thats not it it could just be the files themselves have you tried other HD videos?

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Don't bother. The inbuilt GPU on the 3570K is more than sufficinet for standard 2D clips, 3D clips should have no problem rendering on the CPU cores. Post a mediainfo snippet so we can take a look. BTW, my 3870K has no problems playing a 20GB 20MB/s 1080p .mkv via the onboard GPU.

snipersam15

Honorable
May 25, 2012

^ Agreed I dont think obsama read what the op is using his system for.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

I'd disagree. A 50GB BD .iso would be A-OK too on any modern integrated GPU. Getting a cheap add on GPU is pointless.

Cadillac84

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks to all of you for the replies!!!

I should also have told more about the O/S and media player setup because I'm playing with a bunch of new things here --- any one of which could be causing my problem.

First, since I was going from the ground up, I decided to see what I thought about Windows 8. I've been using XP-Pro for a long time, like it very much.

I have an unused Vista Ultimate, but decided to skip it ($$$ down the drain). I also have an unused Windows 7 Pro which may be where this new system will end up.

But, I decided to use this blank slate as an opportunity to try Windows 8, so I got the Windows 8 Release Preview 64-bit and installed it on a used but freshly formatted hard drive. The hard drive is SATA-1 and is only a temporary installation. I have a new SATA-3 drive but haven't installed it yet since I wanted to decide on my O/S before I made it the primary.

Okay, so where am I?

Z77 mobo
Intel i5-3570K
using on-chip Intel G-4000 via DGI to Samsung B2230
Seagate Barracuda ST3160023AS (160 GB, 1,5 GB/s, 7200 rpm, 2 MB Cache) [not a strong contender, but I had it available]
LG BH14NS40 Blu-Ray player/burner

Windows 8 64-bit
WMP-11
Direct-X 11

The video is MPEG-1 and I have tried playing it from the network drive and from the local hard drive with similar result. I'll get back later with more info using a tool that was suggested by one reply, but for now I am using the no-longer-supported GSpot v2.70a which reports that both video and audio codecs are installed and are capable of rendering the stream.

I have compared the troublesome video file with others of similar size and type (mpeg) and I see that most are being rendered with H.264 codec, so maybe the thing just wasn't ripped properly.

I need to get a Blu-Ray disc and check this whole thing out, but since I never have had a Blu-Ray player, I don't own any Blu-Ray discs yet. Maybe I'll rent one today and see what happens.

But, I wonder if the 64 bit Windows or just the Windows 8 not quite ready for prime-time may be the problem. On the other hand, it is not a bad bet that whoever ripped the video didn't do a good job.

Well, thanks again for the help. BTW, I do NOT like the Windows 8 user interface. I may install Open SuSE 12.2 on my new SATA-3 drive and see how it likes the videos.

:D
Chas

Cadillac84

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Let's mark this one [SOLVED] -- If I can't figure out how to do that, maybe one of the MODS can do it for me.

I can't pick a "best answer" because there were too many good ones. And, I'm not really finished experimenting with this.

BUT when I installed VLC (which I have on my other computers and should have remembered to install on this one!), the video in question played just right.

So, Smeg45 and obsama1, thanks for that suggestion! I want to also follow up on a couple suggestions by others including the general HTPC discussion.

Thanks for the rapid and lively discussion on my topic.

Chas
:bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.