hd not reconized.. ????

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
My HP is not doing well at all, after a bad crash i fdisk the hd and formated and reinstalled the os (oem sys disks) and now it doesn't see the hd.. just boots to blank screen and says " no operating sys found. then i can restart go into setup and the hd is not listed at all.. then i can go to exit and click exit disregard changes and it will prompt to load prevous settings and then it will boot to os fine. problem is if you shut down all the way it will not boot till you go through it again.. cmos battery shows 3.7v dc with digital meter??? i'm at a loss here checked cable connections ok .. could the ide cable be in wrong locations and do this???? any halp IS apreciated (sorry for the long post felt like you would need to know) thanks again

dazed and confused

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
Surly somebody has had this problem before?? cmos battery good, cables-connections ok, thing wont reboot after a complete shutdown.. but will after a restart. come on guys ant suggestions.. and well yes i could go into set up everytime i booted but who wants to do that. even tryed win ME still same old same old. any way learned my lesson on HP and the other major brands..

dazed and confused

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Umm--I'm really no expert, but you could try clearing the CMOS. Shut down your 'puter, unplug the PSU, and then clear the CMOS. Then reboot--might help.

Yippeekiiaayyy yippeekiioohhh Ghost rabbits in the sky.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
What do u mean by a bad crash? What exactly happened then? Also, clearing teh cmos may help. It seems to me that your BIOS chip may be messed up. Did u try any flashing or anything?

If it's working...overclock it!

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
thanks guys havent tryed to clear the cmos. will i have to re enter all the cpu settings and so on? and i did try to flash the bios but darn thing wouldn't boot .. it would give the same message no OS found. will try the cmos. this is what happened: installed two sticks of the wrong type memory (133 when it uses 100) and it crashed on boot. froze hard twice.. removed the memory and rebooted.. got a msg stating bad fat table.. so fdisked reformated..loaded oem os (win98)and after first shut down, thats when i got the problem of NO OS found. at present time if i turn it off completly it will give that msg at start AFTER memory-boot secquence. IF i enter set up and load previous set up and exit ..THEN it will boot to windows fine.. just a pain when the kids shut it off..keep in mind i have no motherboard manual to use. its an hewlett packard need i say more. well thanks for your posts.. chunka1

dazed and confused

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
First off, the memory problems is odd- considering 133 will work in 100 mobo. Try clearing teh cmos, and when u flashed teh bios, that may have created some problem. Tell me what happens when u clear cmos. Oh yeah, when u clear it, you won't have to enter setting again- it'll do that automatically.

If it's working...overclock it!

TRENDING THREADS