How is this $800 build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ndvk

this is what I have had recomended to me. The recommender said this would play pretty much run any game I wanted and I wanted to know if this was true. Also, any suggestions would be awesome as well but try to keep the build at around $800. Also, I would like to know how this current build would work as a whole in terms of effiency.
10 answers Last reply
More about build
  1. Per $860 before rebate, that is a terrible build... No offense. At that cost, even before the $90 windows that's $770, you should be able to get a much better build.

    Check out my $650 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module146695821
    Upgrade the FX-6300 to the FX-8320 (+$40)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285
    Upgrade the 7870 to the 7950 (+$70)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006
    Total: $730

    You get a better CPU, it runs slightly more on the power consumption but at the end of the day on your power will only add like a few cents on your electric build. But you'll get a CPU that's great at multi-thread and normal applications, while retaining decent FPS numbers. Keep in mind in games like BF3, Metro 2033 or Crysis 2, all demanding games, the most crucial part to frames is not the CPU like most people think. It's the GPU. Sure you're not getting the i5 3450, but for $10 less, the FX-8320 can overclock, benchmarks better in most things while lacking a little in games. However, you're able to fit in a much better GPU.

    Windows for cheap: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html
    BBB A approved: http://www.bbb.org/memphis/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/software-supply-group-in-cordova-tn-44050536

    The total is less, you get a MUCH better GPU, better CPU and a better PSU.
  2. Would you you mind showing me this build on pcpartpicker.com

    It is just more convenient for me and I would greatly appreciate it if you did.
  3. aznshinobi said:
    Per $860 before rebate, that is a terrible build... No offense. At that cost, even before the $90 windows that's $770, you should be able to get a much better build.

    Check out my $650 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module146695821
    Upgrade the FX-6300 to the FX-8320 (+$40)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285
    Upgrade the 7870 to the 7950 (+$70)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006
    Total: $730

    You get a better CPU, it runs slightly more on the power consumption but at the end of the day on your power will only add like a few cents on your electric build. But you'll get a CPU that's great at multi-thread and normal applications, while retaining decent FPS numbers. Keep in mind in games like BF3, Metro 2033 or Crysis 2, all demanding games, the most crucial part to frames is not the CPU like most people think. It's the GPU. Sure you're not getting the i5 3450, but for $10 less, the FX-8320 can overclock, benchmarks better in most things while lacking a little in games. However, you're able to fit in a much better GPU.

    Windows for cheap: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html
    BBB A approved: http://www.bbb.org/memphis/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/software-supply-group-in-cordova-tn-44050536

    The total is less, you get a MUCH better GPU, better CPU and a better PSU.


    He does have a monitor in there, and a keyboard/mouse as well. The motherboard is overpriced in his build though.
    For the price I wouldn't say it is terrible factoring in those things. Can it be improved price wise? Definitely.
  4. SingingThroughTheStorm said:
    He does have a monitor in there, and a keyboard/mouse as well. The motherboard is overpriced in his build though.
    For the price I wouldn't say it is terrible factoring in those things. Can it be improved price wise? Definitely.


    Ahh didn't catch the monitor:

    Check out my $650 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module146695821
    Monitor $110: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009316
    Total: $730

    OS: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-oem-branded.html

    OP not to sound disrespectful but is it that hard to open up the link and just look at the parts? It's in a blog format so... yeah, and the link is linked to the direct portion of the blog I was pointing out...
  5. Do not worry about it then and I appreciate you taking time to help me out...But one more thing in terms of overall effiency what all can this PC do?
  6. Sorry :/ I didn't mean to sound rude if I came off that way. I just think PCPartPicker doesn't always get the cheapest parts or for that matter speak the true price since they use MIR/Discounted prices.

    As for Efficiency, on the CPU side, it'll just be a few cents more on the electric build but in terms of overall build. You're getting a better chip that can multi-thread better, it can also overclock if you want. The GPU is much better and the motherboard will allow a long line of upgrading. So it'll be much more solid.
  7. Most of your build looks great.

    This 7850 could save you $15:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

    Use the savings to buy a better PSU. The 450W PSU that you selected isn't enough for a 7850. You need at least 500W.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

    Also, I suggest checking out keyboard in a store, even if you order one, to see how it feels.
  8. envy14tpe said:
    Most of your build looks great.

    This 7850 could save you $15:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

    Use the savings to buy a better PSU. The 450W PSU that you selected isn't enough for a 7850. You need at least 500W.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

    Also, I suggest checking out keyboard in a store, even if you order one, to see how it feels.


    You should be able to easily power the 7850 on a good 400W PSU. The CX430 can be had for cheap if you are using
    deals, coupons, and MIRs.
  9. SingingThroughTheStorm said:
    You should be able to easily power the 7850 on a good 400W PSU. The CX430 can be had for cheap if you are using
    deals, coupons, and MIRs.


    I disagree. The manufacturers suggest at least 500W. I'm sure if you used an online calculator you might find that you only need 4XX W to power a system. However, it's better to be safe than sorry and have enough juice.
  10. On a good 430w, you'd probably be able to make it by easy. The 7850 has a 130w TDP and the FX-8320 has a 125w which total is about 255w. After that give or take you have 50w left over for the system + HDD that's more than enough as it's just about 100w for a cathode heavy water cooled build. You're fine but I'd get some room as stated like the Neo Eco 520w.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Games Systems Product