Your question

New GPU & somethings wrong I think..

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2012 11:22:41 PM

I just bought a new 560 gtx superclocked from frys and a new 24" asus flatscreen (already forgot exact model) but anyway when playing certain games I get weird boxes around certain things that would otherwise just blend in with the rest of the picture can someone help me figure out whats wrong? http://postimage.org/image/5nzbdcq8x/

More about : gpu somethings wrong

a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 11:27:45 PM

Tell me your wow settings, resolution and all that good stuff.

Also upgrade all your drivers, usually that will fix problems like that.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 11:44:03 PM

snipersam15 said:
Tell me your wow settings, resolution and all that good stuff.

Also upgrade all your drivers, usually that will fix problems like that.

everything is set to ultra, resolution is set to 1920x1080 and my drivers are the most up to date (well i bought the card and downloaded the latest drivers < a month ago)
m
l
a c 116 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 11:59:00 PM

It would take a ton of polygons to make trees. So instead they use squares and triangles with the leaf and transparent spots to make the leafs look good at distance.

I now think what you are pointing at is some kind of shadow as well(almost like dots?).

Just Cause 2 has some like that as well.

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/5936/jc2b.jpg

Does it look like small dots fading in? I think you may just be dealing with a game engine this. Try different settings to see if any help.

m
l
September 15, 2012 12:13:37 AM

nukemaster said:
It would take a ton of polygons to make trees. So instead they use squares and triangles with the leaf and transparent spots to make the leafs look good at distance.

I now think what you are pointing at is some kind of shadow as well(almost like dots?).

Just Cause 2 has some like that as well.

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/5936/jc2b.jpg

Does it look like small dots fading in? I think you may just be dealing with a game engine this. Try different settings to see if any help.

wow has an option under video settings called 'SSAO' and it sais it controls the rendering quality of advanced lighting effects that I disabled and got rid of the problem completely. not sure why an option that i thought would make my game look better made it look worse but im glad i know how to disable it. Theres one more thing bugging me about this video card and its far objects in the distance causing a bright almost white pixel. heres a pic

m
l
September 15, 2012 12:36:41 AM

Anybody got any idea what those unlit looking pixels are in the pic i just posted in the reply above me i wanna know asap so frys doesnt tell me I cant trade my video card in because I waited too long! =/
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2012 12:51:05 AM

Well most retail places have a 30 day policy, so if its longer than that, doesnt matter what you tell them, you waited too long. Not to mention you are being way too nitpicky with something that far in the distance. You didnt buy a high end card.
m
l
a c 116 U Graphics card
September 15, 2012 1:38:09 AM

Try to play with the AA settings to see if it helps those dots.

Turning down the draw distance would prevent it from drawing things that far, but would make things pop into view when you get close.

As for SSAO it is to give shadowing to little things and even the grass. It can also have a large performance hit on some games.
m
l
September 15, 2012 2:10:26 AM

Did you update your drivers thats first imo try that and see what happens if still artifacting then id say rma is in order.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:53:14 AM

nukemaster said:
Try to play with the AA settings to see if it helps those dots.

Turning down the draw distance would prevent it from drawing things that far, but would make things pop into view when you get close.

As for SSAO it is to give shadowing to little things and even the grass. It can also have a large performance hit on some games.

aa settings did not do anything but turning multisampling from 8x to 1x it took them completely off.. just a weird problem and as far as view distance that fixes it also but i dont lose fps for having ultra on view distance so id like to use that =D
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:54:12 AM

robustus64 said:
Did you update your drivers thats first imo try that and see what happens if still artifacting then id say rma is in order.

yeah updated the drivers when i made the post no luck there
m
l
!