Could You Make Improvements To My System?

TheGreatestView

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
SYSTEM SPECS

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card

Case: Thermaltake VN300M1W2N ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)

This system will be used predominantly for the following:

- Gaming
- 3D modelling/editing on engineering programs such as AutoCAD 3D and revit (however performance in this area does not have to be maximized)
- Music Recording
- Work based uses such as report writing and photoshop.

Let me know if you could help me improve my system in anyway. It would be greatly appreciated :)

I had some concerns about the power supply and Hard drive storage units and whether to use more RAM and less SSD storage (ie: a 128gb instead of 256gb).

Suggestions of cheaper alternatives that do not change the performance/graphics significantly are also welcome!

Cheers :)

prodigydoo

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
shoot for 16gb ram, it will help with rendering your 3d models. + 16gb is cheap as chips these days anyway.

since your getting an unlocked processor, i would consider watercooling.. to give you more capability with overclocking.. if your not going to overclock, dont get the unlocked one and save some cash :)

power supply is fine

ssd storage is good at 256, i have 2x 128 gb ssd's, because i like to put all my main software and virtual os's on there.. there also should be room for a few games :)

good luck with the build it looks good :D

TheGreatestView

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Cheers man,

I don't know much about overclocking a CPU, however, if it really boosts the performance of the whole system dramatically I may consider finding out how to do it and end up keeping the i7- 3770k.

What are you're opinions on this? :)

prodigydoo

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

overclocking is reasonably easy, and funnily enough i just recieved my own ASRock Z77 Extreme4 today.. it does come with an overclocking utility, i havent tried it out yet but past experience tells me it basically does everything for you :)

i would recomend watching a few videos on youtube or reading up on overclocking from a uefi bios (xtreme 4 uses one) and from the ASRock eXtreme Tuner utility that comes with the motherboard for overclocking :)

I wouldn't trust anything that does it for you. Manually overclocking is a bit more safe to be honest. Sometimes the utilities put stuff too high like the voltage.

The 16GB will sorta help if you do ALOT of rendering and whatnot.

Also, overclocking doesn't exactly require watercooling. I have the H60 waterblock on my processor and it doesnt do any better than my old CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus.

TheGreatestView

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Hey mate,

Is over clocking the i7 - 3770k easy to do with no prior experience?

TRENDING THREADS