DOA Graphics Card?

mrbs1992

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi,

Recently I exchanged what I thought was a faulty Radeon HD 7950. I have received the new card, but now my computer only surges on for a quick second then off with the new card in. It does this whether the power is actually plugged into the card or not. Without the card in the PCI slot, I get a boot up and the computer gives me a few beeps which I think just mean no video card.

Is this possibly caused by the card? I was thinking if it was the motherboard wouldn't my computer at least start up but then I wouldn't get a display? I have two different PCIx16 slots and I get the same result in both slots. I'm pretty sure that this is not due to a faulty PSU because I have tried two different ones and neither worked. One was a 700w PSU and the other was a 600w.

If it matters at all here is my build:
Asus M5A97 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 GPU
128 GB AData SSD
AData Gaming Series RAM (2x4GB)

Thanks.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Could be the cards but to have it happen to 2 completely different cards but with the same problem...I would almost look towards the MB. You could have a a motherboard with bad power supplying the PCIE slot.

Did you ever try the cards with a different computer?

on your mb check that you have the 4/8 pin pci power plug is connected. video card the first 70w of power come from the mb and pci slot the rest come from the 6/8 pin connectors. on the video card make sure all the 6/8 pins are connected some cards come with two connectors.

mrbs1992

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I should have been more specific about the old 7950, but the computer would power on with it. I was having other problems with it. Unfortunately I do not have it any more to test with. I sent it back on Tuesday and Amazon recieved it yesterday.

I have not tried it in another computer and I do not know of anyone whose I would be able to try the card in.

I am pretty sure every power connector is in firmly. The 8 pin, 24 pin, and the two PCIE are all connected as firm as I think they can get.

I do not have another card to test out with right now, but I am thinking about trying to buy a cheap one to test out with.

Finally, the card will not click at all. I am pushing it down quite firmly. The lock does lock though.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Have you tried bread-boarding the components yet to rule out the case grounding out? Have you double-checked to see if the CPU is seated correctly, the triangles line up? Have you taken out all the components but the bare minimum to rule out some other part? one stick of ram, no HDD, swap the ram sticks from one slot to the other?

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

By your last statement sounds like your PCIE slot has something jammed down in it or isn't formed right from the factory. Your best bet now would be to get a low price video card to test in that slot. A video card not sitting right in a pc could cause it to shut down if it detects that there is an issue with the slot.

My best option for you would be to get a low end card and do that with.

If it doesn't fit then the PCIE slot is bad on your board and would have to RMA or by a new board.

mrbs1992

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Without the graphics card in the computer, it boots up fine. I can't get any display though since I don't have integrated graphics.

I will try and find a low end card to get.

Thanks for the help everyone.