Sign in with
Your question

F'n motherboard

Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2012 3:18:58 AM

I got my dad new parts for his birthday. An msi am3+ board and amd phenom ii x4 965 BE processor. I have just installed said pieces and when i go to start it up it boots normally but no matter what i do, it goes to a ''select boot device" window and the hard drive is not being recognized as one. Only the dvd drive is shown. I do not have a disk copy of windows so that is not a viable option. Also, would i have needed to flash the bios before switching the motherboard out? If so, where could i get such bios to flash?
Also, i have tried every single f# key and delete in an effort to open up the bios. There is no way to access bios OR cmos. If needed, i will put up and link a video of the start up screen.

More about : motherboard

November 11, 2012 3:34:25 AM

My favorite way to open bios is to hit as many keys as possible as quickly as I can. Many BIOS's have a very short period of time to hit the correct key in.

As for the "select boot device" thing, do you have access to the .iso file? If you do, you can make a bootable flash drive to install the operating system. The hard drive isn't being recognized as a boot device because there is no operating system on it (if there is, it may need to be reinstalled because of the new components).
m
l
November 11, 2012 3:54:01 AM

Zeph824 said:
My favorite way to open bios is to hit as many keys as possible as quickly as I can. Many BIOS's have a very short period of time to hit the correct key in.

As for the "select boot device" thing, do you have access to the .iso file? If you do, you can make a bootable flash drive to install the operating system. The hard drive isn't being recognized as a boot device because there is no operating system on it (if there is, it may need to be reinstalled because of the new components).

would i be able to take the .iso from another computer with the old copy & paste? Yes there is an os on it (windows 7 home prem 64 bit) but i do not have acess to a disk. I have heard from a separate source that i will need to reformat the drive, is that true?
m
l
November 11, 2012 10:00:34 AM

yes you will have to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS.
m
l
!