DVD on win98SE

bolo

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Hi i was wondering if anyone can help. I have recently upgraded my pc to the following specs.

ecs k7s5a MB.
2*128MB PC2100 Ram
AMD Athlon 1400
GAintech geforce2pro 64MB DDR ram
LG DVD Drive

My problem is when i watch DVDs using powerDVD the colours are very polarised. The picture is worse than with my P3 450!. Is this due to the processor? Are AMD just not as good and pentiums for this. Or have i just been dumb and not installed things correctly? I dont know...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
amd chips behave just like intel ones... if there are any problems then its due to some conflict or screwed up setting...
as to problem solving,
make sure u have the latest video drivers
also check in the display options for video colour manipulation.

does the problem happen when u use some other dvd program?

and what exactly do u mean by polarised?
black and white or really strong?

OEMs selling "High End"PCs with integrated video will be forced into Q3tournaments using a TNT2M64!

bolo

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
When i say the colours are polarised i mena that you can see 'waves' of colour rippling thro, rather than the colours being smoothly blended together. So for example, instead of seeing a blue sky, i see 6 or 7 layers of blue. But if you are sure the processors are both the same i will keep fiddling with my settings. i think i have the latest nvidia dirvers. ANy more ideas wot it could be?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm

latest version of directX cant hurt (much)
also have u tried finding some other dvd playing software?

OEMs selling "High End"PCs with integrated video will be forced into Q3tournaments using a TNT2M64!

bolo

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
yeah thanks found it was a crappy version of powerDVD. Which software decoder do people think is best?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
see. toldya it wasnt the CPU.
how could it be... cpu's just deal with ones and zeros... its got no idea where they come from or where they end up. if a cpu is faulty it will most likely not work at all, or lockup regularly.

software...hmmm
i dont really watch dvd's so i cant help u there.
websearch?