Sign in with
Your question

New build

Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2012 10:14:28 AM

Need advice on planned i5 setup:
Approximate Purchase Date: this November

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop editing, editing movie clips, gaming, net

Are you buying a monitor: yes

Parts: Case: Rosewill Challenger (already have this) (non USB-3 version)

Proc: INTEL i5 3570 (non-k)

Mobo: Asrock H77 Pro4 MVP

RAM : Gskill Ares 8gb 4gbx2 Ddr3 1600 CL9 (should I go dual 4gbx2 or a single stick?)

HDD: 500gb Seagate 7200.12 as primary (Have a spare one already) would an SSD be a good choice given my pc usage as above?
will also add my 1TB Seagate which has my media files and personal stuff.

VGA: Sapphire HD 6670 1gb GDDR5 128bit (already have this)

Will also include a card reader with two usb ports on the floppy drive bay and a DVD writer

I want a rig based on a quad core that would last me around 2 to 3 years. I don't want to overclock, just want it to run smoothly on windows7, be able to play games on a 19inch 16:9 monitor(don't plan on using multiple for gaming but I want to be able to connect my 32inch full HD TV as a 2nd monitor to play movies on.
I don't know much PSU i need for this but I plan to upgrade to 16gb RAM in the future if the need arises, upgrade the videocard to something that would need 1 or 2 six pins as the need arises in the future. I am also considering buying a 120gb SSD now. given that options please advise me a good psu for the current vga I have and 2 HDD plus a possible SSD, No plans of buying a new VGA card for at least a year.
Is the i5 3570 enough or I need a lower i5?
I currently have a 4year old E6600 3.06ghz dual core 800fsb, on an ASUS P5GC MX mobo with maxed out 2gb RAM with the 6670 I listed above plus a 120gb IDE primary HDD, 500gbSATA and 1tbSATA on which I can play Battlefield3 on ULTRA settings but lags every now and then, so I think a new quad core 64bit build is in order right?

Please I need your comments and thank you in advance guys!

More about : build

November 11, 2012 10:21:42 AM

I'd suggest something like this take the drive out since you already have one and anything else you don't need you have the right idea though.f you want to, you could get a 7850 instead of the 7870 and then get a SSD if you think you demand it. go with a 500w/550w psu, you are not going to be doing SLI/crossfire
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jOUt
November 11, 2012 10:34:28 AM

I opt to put in the 1tb internal so that I'd have faster transfer of my files instead of using it externally. Should I swap the 500gb with an SSD as a primary harddisk?
November 11, 2012 10:39:25 AM

That would be a good idea i personally just use ssd for my os but you could do it that way.
!