amergin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Need advice on planned i5 setup:
Approximate Purchase Date: this November

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop editing, editing movie clips, gaming, net

Are you buying a monitor: yes

Parts: Case: Rosewill Challenger (already have this) (non USB-3 version)

Proc: INTEL i5 3570 (non-k)

Mobo: Asrock H77 Pro4 MVP

RAM : Gskill Ares 8gb 4gbx2 Ddr3 1600 CL9 (should I go dual 4gbx2 or a single stick?)

HDD: 500gb Seagate 7200.12 as primary (Have a spare one already) would an SSD be a good choice given my pc usage as above?
will also add my 1TB Seagate which has my media files and personal stuff.

VGA: Sapphire HD 6670 1gb GDDR5 128bit (already have this)

Will also include a card reader with two usb ports on the floppy drive bay and a DVD writer

I want a rig based on a quad core that would last me around 2 to 3 years. I don't want to overclock, just want it to run smoothly on windows7, be able to play games on a 19inch 16:9 monitor(don't plan on using multiple for gaming but I want to be able to connect my 32inch full HD TV as a 2nd monitor to play movies on.
I don't know much PSU i need for this but I plan to upgrade to 16gb RAM in the future if the need arises, upgrade the videocard to something that would need 1 or 2 six pins as the need arises in the future. I am also considering buying a 120gb SSD now. given that options please advise me a good psu for the current vga I have and 2 HDD plus a possible SSD, No plans of buying a new VGA card for at least a year.
Is the i5 3570 enough or I need a lower i5?
I currently have a 4year old E6600 3.06ghz dual core 800fsb, on an ASUS P5GC MX mobo with maxed out 2gb RAM with the 6670 I listed above plus a 120gb IDE primary HDD, 500gbSATA and 1tbSATA on which I can play Battlefield3 on ULTRA settings but lags every now and then, so I think a new quad core 64bit build is in order right?

Please I need your comments and thank you in advance guys!

amergin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I opt to put in the 1tb internal so that I'd have faster transfer of my files instead of using it externally. Should I swap the 500gb with an SSD as a primary harddisk?