Building a new system, need some input

So, I've decided to build my own desktop again. Done it before quite a few times, but that was almost 10 years ago since my last build. So, What i'm looking to build is a semi good gaming machine. I play guildwars 2, so my main goal is have a machine that is going to run that superbly. Occasionally i'll add a shooter or something. Left 4 dead 2 is usually my go to shooter, or CoD or BF3. It'll be hooked up to my TV via hdmi as a monitor most of the time. One of my main concerns is the SSD. THey are kind of small, so do I use one for my OS and another for my main programs? Or one just for the OS and then a regular HDD for standard storage? As well, I put the Power supply at 750w just in case I decieded to add a second gpu and SLi em later. As for the CD drive, I simply choose a blue-ray model so because I don't have a blue-ray player, I've been using my ps3, so its not a big change to use my pc vs my ps3, and thats something I just picked out of convience rather than necessity. So here's my parts. Tell me your thoughts and suggestions please and thank ya

case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Power: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-8GTX

GPU: MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CD: ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
4 answers Last reply
More about building system input
  1. It works like this: you put your OS and neccessery programs on SSD, and they run faster, and HDD you use for files storage. One 120 GB ssd is enough for OS+programs/games. Yup, other parts are good choice, except cpu. It's sandy bridge, and i recommend getting the ivy bridge( i5-3xxx ones). Considering your mobo is z77(which means good for overclocking) get i5-3570k ('k' for cpu also means good for overclocking)
  2. butremor said:
    It works like this: you put your OS and neccessery programs on SSD, and they run faster, and HDD you use for files storage. One 120 GB ssd is enough for OS+programs/games. Yup, other parts are good choice, except cpu. It's sandy bridge, and i recommend getting the ivy bridge( i5-3xxx ones). Considering your mobo is z77(which means good for overclocking) get i5-3570k ('k' for cpu also means good for overclocking)

Good to know. Thanks man.
  3. Currently on Newegg, the Ivy Bridge i5 (3570k) is on sale for the same price as the 2500k, but normally it is only $10 more anyways. It's worth it, because you can generally overclock it higher, and it is slightly cooler than the Sandy Bridge equivalent.

A 660ti isn't a bad card, but if you don't mind overclocking, a MSI or Gigabyte 7950 are in the market, which will be much better once you add some clock speed. I have the MSI version, and while it can run loud (I just wear headphones, so I don't mind), it keeps the card cool and I can overclock it to 1100/1600 without having to mess with voltages. At these clocks, it is far and above a 660ti, and it's still the same price.
  4. Pizzaa said:
    Currently on Newegg, the Ivy Bridge i5 (3570k) is on sale for the same price as the 2500k, but normally it is only $10 more anyways. It's worth it, because you can generally overclock it higher, and it is slightly cooler than the Sandy Bridge equivalent.

A 660ti isn't a bad card, but if you don't mind overclocking, a MSI or Gigabyte 7950 are in the market, which will be much better once you add some clock speed. I have the MSI version, and while it can run loud (I just wear headphones, so I don't mind), it keeps the card cool and I can overclock it to 1100/1600 without having to mess with voltages. At these clocks, it is far and above a 660ti, and it's still the same price.

Excellent man. Thanks for the input. I'm not very confident in my overclocking just yet but the option is good to have. Thanks yo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product