Need a gaming monitor to go with this build

broodfusion

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
So I bought this build a month ago and have been using the hdtv I play my ps3 on, thought I'd save some money.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+24%26%2334%3B+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+60Hz+-+HDTV/4792285.p;jsessionid=086A6317699B59F31E66DE299EEE1BD6.bbolsp-app02-05?id=1218529597864&skuId=4792285&st=insignia%2024&cp=1&lp=3

The build:
cpu: i3570k overclocked @ 4.5ghz with cooler master 212 evo
mobo: gigabyte z77x-d3h
gpu: MSI gtx 660 ti (overclocked)
ssd/hdd: samsung 830 + WD 1TB
etc...

I mainly play FPS games, BF3, and probably will try out black ops 2. But I just can't stand playing fps games with this hdtv...

Now with black friday and all that coming up, I am deciding to get an upgrade for a good gaming monitor.

Budget: no more than $400

Preferences:
1. low input lag, not the response time (the 2ms gtg)
2. 120hz (I've never experienced 120hz so if there is 60hz out there that actually is comparable in performance then 60hz is ok)
3. Price. Something reasonably priced and gets the job done.
3. screen size 21-24in is good

I've heard and read that Benq xl2420T is good, but I am a bit doubtful that it is that OP against other monitors, i mean, is the black equalizer feature worth that much? I seem to doubt that. It does probably fit my preferences but I still don't feel quite comfortable spending $400ish on a monitor that may be comparable to those priced around $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270&Tpk=xl2420t

So please provide your suggestions, deeply appreciated

NOTE "I DON'T RECOMMEND PAIRING A 660 TI WITH A 120hz MONITOR"! As far as which monitor is for you all depends Response Rate

The response rate of an LCD monitor refers to how quickly each pixel on the screen can change color. The lower the response rate, the faster the screen updates. If you are playing fast-paced action game for example, where the images change quickly, if you're playing on a monitor with a slower response rate, you may experience what is known as "ghosting". Ghosting happens when the previous image displayed on the screen can still be seen as a blur for moments after the image has changed.

When choosing the best gaming monitor, the response rate is perhaps the single most important factor to consider. Ghosting and motion blur can ruin your overall gaming experience. The faster the response rate of your monitor, the less ghosting you will see.

I would say that an LCD with a response rate of 5ms is the minimum for gaming. Lower than 5ms is better of course (remember that the lower, the faster), and the very best gaming monitors on the market have extremely fast response rates such as 2ms and lower to avoid any ghosting/blur issues completely.

LED vs LCD Monitors

LED monitors are the exact same as LCD monitors, except they use LED backlighting which provides some advantages such as a brighter and sharper display, thinner screen, and lower power usage.

LED monitors currently cost a little more than a standard LCD, but if you want the best gaming monitor then I would definitely suggest you buy one. If not, a standard LCD monitor with a good response rate will do just fine.

What Size Monitor?

Ultimately, the size you go for is totally up to you and how much you're willing to spend. Obviously the larger the screen, the more expensive it will be, but for the best gaming monitor experience I would suggest at least 19", and go for a widescreen LCD if you can. Nothing beats gaming on a nice, decent-sized widescreen monitor.

If you want the most immersive gaming experience possible and you have the money to spend, go for a quality 23" or 24" screen, or even 25" and above. After gaming on such a massive screen you won't ever want to go back to a smaller screen!

Contrast Ratio

The contrast ratio of a monitor can be a helpful spec to generally compare picture quality between different monitors. In general, the higher the contrast ratio, the better the picture quality.

With high contrast ratios your screen can produce deeper black levels, which creates a more immersive and visually sharp experience. Keep in mind that the contrast ratio isn't always an accurate measure of image quality, so don't use it solely to compare two monitors as there's more to it than that.

Viewing Angle

If you look at an LCD monitor from an angle, you will notice that the image appears dimmer and the colors can look weird. At extreme angles the entire image can even disappear. The viewing angle of an LCD monitor is the angle at which you can still view the screen clearly, and is usually listed in the monitor's specifications list.

The greater the viewing angle, the better, but for gamers the viewing angle doesn't really matter because you are looking directly at the screen the whole time. But there are some people who will consider the viewing angle important, for example if you need to show presentations with your LCD monitor.

Matte vs Glossy Screens There are two kinds of modern LCD screens: matte (anti-glare) and glossy. Both have their pros and cons and are a subject of many discussions.

Matte screens don't get glare or reflections on them; however, the same rough surface (polarizer) that reduces the intensity of reflected light results in less contrast and brightness since the light from the LCD screen has to pass through it. Matte screens diffuse light instead of reflecting it so they might be easier to read outdoors, if the backlight provides enough brightness. You don't have to worry about reflections unlike with a glossy screen. One of the downsides of a strong anti-glare coating in matte displays is a grainy "crystalline" pattern which is mostly visible when viewing text on a white background.

Glossy screens have vibrant colors and high contrast and brightness because they have a smooth, high-gloss surface. As a result, it is often the choice for movies or gaming. However, strong lighting sources in the environment cause glare on these screens which is not only annoying, but can also cause eye strain and pain. If the lighting isn't adequate, you will also see distracting reflections on the screen. Some graphics designers may find the colors inaccurate, although that mostly depends on the LCD matrix. Glossy will work great for you if the lighting in your room doesn't create any glare on the screen. 120Hz
Why a 120Hz Refresh Rate Computer Monitor?
120Hz Vs. 60Hz
120 Hz vs. 60Hz Refresh Rate - Source: BenQBoth response time, the time it takes for a pixel to go from black to white and back again, and input lag, the difference in time that it takes for you to input a command into your computer and see it displayed, are very well-known terms in the gaming community. Few gamers think about the impact that a higher refresh rate will have on their game.

What is Refresh Rate?

Refresh rate is basically the amount of times in a second that a monitor will draw the data which it receives. Most TN and IPS panel monitors have a 60Hz refresh rate. In order to really see all the advantages that come with a 120Hz display you should be gaming at an FPS well above 60.

Benefits of 120Hz:

1. Details are more crisp, smoothly rendered, and lifelike.
2. More Responsive

Choosing the Right Gaming Monitor for Your Style
Response Time, Input Lag, and Refresh Rate
Choosing a Gaming MonitorIt's not always necessary to purchase a monitor that has a fast response time as most of today's TN panel monitors have 5ms or less. That being said if you play FPS-type games like COD or BF3, then having a fast response time along with a low input lag might be a priority. A fast response time can help to eliminate some of the blurring that occurs during ultra-fast gaming and video sequences. Response time measures the time it takes for your monitor to go from black to white and back again. Most manufacturers list a gray to gray or GTG response time in order to post a lower time.

Professional gamers also worry about input lag, which measures the time it takes for you to input a signal from your mouse and keyboard and then when it's displayed on the screen. While input lag can be significant, especially for those looking to buy a TV for gaming, more often than not casual gamers will find that purchasing a monitor with a low response time will give them a monitor with a minimal level of input lag. Those who play professionally will want to find one that is less than 1 frame or 16ms of lag.

Another thing to think about is whether you want to stick with the standard 60Hz refresh rate commonly found on most 2D monitors or perhaps go with a monitor that has a true 120Hz refresh rate. A 120Hz refresh rate draws the data twice as many times as a 60Hz and makes the in-game detail come slightly faster and appear smoother. Most 120Hz refresh rate monitors are 3D, so if you go that route, then you may want to set your budget a little bit higher.If you're looking for the best 3D monitor that will also play great in 2D, then you should choose between the BenQ XL2420T and the ASUS VG278H. Both incorporate nVidia's 3D Vision 2 with 3D LightBoost which greatly improves the overall 3D experience.

While the BenQ doesn't disappoint as far as specifications with a 2ms response time, 120Hz refresh rate, low input lag, and a great picture, The XL2420T comes with a lot of other features built-in to this monitor specifically for gamers including FPS Mode, RTS Mode, Intuitive OSD, S. Switch;Height Adjustment, and Game Mode Loader.

If you just want this monitor for the 2D technology, then you might want to consider its predecessor, XL2410T, which is significantly cheaper and has many of the same features as the XL2420T, but has nVidia 3D Vision rather than 3D Vision 2. Budget Gaming Monitors

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VH236H-23-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor/dp/B002453K5G%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1056067-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB002453K5G
http://www.amazon.com/VE248H-24-Inch-Full-HD-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B0043T7FHK%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1056067-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0043T7FHK
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2739WM-27-Inch-1920x1080-Monitor/dp/B003GBRXKU%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1056067-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB003GBRXKU
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008484Q6E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008484Q6E&linkCode=as2&tag=gamingsquid-20

Great Gaming Monitors In No Certain Order
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-GD235HZbid-Widescreen-23-6-Display/dp/B0035KC3R0/ref=sr_1_102?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1352642657&sr=1-102
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HIKIG0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hhmsquiddiscount-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006HIKIG0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00906HM6K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00906HM6K&linkCode=as2&tag=gamingsquid-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063BM5NK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=gamingsquid-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0063BM5NK
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V4AK2K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=gamingsquid-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B003V4AK2K

broodfusion

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Why not pair a 120hz monitor with the 660ti? After overclocked it's on par with a gtx 670 if not better, are you suggesting that to fully utilize the 120hz monitor I should sli the 660ti? From what I know, you don't have to have your games always running at 120fps to benefit from a 120hz monitor right? I get around 65-75 fps on in bf3 on ultra settings, i could probably get to 100fps if on high settings.

Anyway thanks for the reply. But what I really would like to know is, is the "black equalizer" along with the ergonomic features that the BenQ XL2420T provide really worth it compared to some $200ish monitor.

broodfusion

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Well, with my overclocked 660ti, it caps 60fps easily on normal maps, and it's not even a crazy overclock either. But it's not always the case. In 64man games, it goes around 40ish on avg. So it depends on the map and the size of the game. I normally hop in on a Team deathmatch so I guess I'm always seeing 60+fps.

Batman AC is around 60-70 fps no problem. I guess these games are more nvidia friendly, especially with the new driver, claiming that you get a boost in performance for the 600 series gpu. I haven't tried the other games you mentioned, but I know from overclocking benchmarks that metro 2033 is a fps killer, max setting at 1080p is like 28-29fps.

I get similar results as they did here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/03/msi_gtx_660_ti_power_edition_oc_video_card_review/5

which made me pretty happy that I didn't spend an extra $100 for the gtx 670.

I probably might go with the 120hz acer monitor and possibly SLI, but I'm still debating and researching and listening to all suggestions.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS