Upgrading old GeForce 9600GT cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

warnockdavid

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I have two systems with old XFX GeForce 9600 GT cards with 512 MB of DDR3. One is OK the other is giving problems, flicker, lines in image, slow video, etc. Both have performance index readings of 6.9. Tried to replace both on the cheap with GT430s. Bad idea, performance index went to 4.4 on both. This board, XFX Tech Support and Tigerdirect say ,not surprising, as the 9600 is a way faster card.

The 430s have to be exchanged for something else. would the "XFX HD-667X-ZWF4 Radeon HD 6670 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity" be an improvement? This card is on sale for $70.00 and my research says it is a good general purpose card. Is it as good as the 9600?

Your input is invaluable and really appreciated. I thank you for your comments and suggestions.

David

Solution
The older gforce has more complicated shaders also the memory interface being 128 on 6670 vs 256 on the 9600gt also plays a role.

Don't get me wrong it is a much better card and offers way more features but at the same time it really isn't much more powerful. Will you notice a difference ? Sure will it be night and day like it should be being 3 generations more modern ? No not really.
The older gforce has more complicated shaders also the memory interface being 128 on 6670 vs 256 on the 9600gt also plays a role.

Don't get me wrong it is a much better card and offers way more features but at the same time it really isn't much more powerful. Will you notice a difference ? Sure will it be night and day like it should be being 3 generations more modern ? No not really.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.