Will my system support AMD/ATI HD 7750 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card?

Hi,

My system specs are

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+
2 GB DDR2 RAM
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 Motherboard
NVIDIA 8400GS
Zebronics case
Max screen resolution 1600x900

PSU Model: Zebronics Economy Series 400w PSU

I am planning to buy MSI AMD/ATI HD 7750 1 GB card.
Will my PSU,MOBO and CPU support it?

I currently have an 8400GS card that works with my current rig.
According to the below site, my current 8400GS consumes 40w while 7750 hd consumes 55w ie.15w more.

http://www.hwcompare.com/11865/geforce-8400-gs-512mb-vs-radeon-hd-7750/

According to Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator, my current rig with 8400gs consumes 327w.
While adding ATI Radeon 7750 hd will consume 336w.

So can I safely buy 7750 HD? Will it be ok?
8 answers Last reply
More about will system support 7750 gddr5 graphics card
  1. Yes, your PC should be able to handle it however your PC as a whole is severely outdated and I would recommend upgrading everything as the HD 7750 will suffer from the poor performance of your CPU at lower resolutions game rely more on the CPU than the GPU
  2. your psu has only got 15amps on the 12v rail it would be a big risk you are taking to run this gpu get a new psu first.
    zebronics is not at all a good brand
  3. So is it ok if I use it?
  4. It'll be fine, 7750 uses 43w.
  5. Not safe at all, thats a cigarette lighter not a powersupply.
  6. All answers are contradicting ones.
    Which one should I consider? 7750 or not?
  7. Basically everybody is correct. Your PSU is not good, but a 7750 consumes very little power. It should run the card just fine assuming it is functioning properly. No one around here thinks it's safe to run an old, inexpensive PSU like that with a nice new card. But like I said, if the PSU is functioning properly then it should work.

The best advice would be to get a new PSU (Antec, Seasonic, Corsair) to go along with your new 7750 and carry it over to whatever new system you eventually build. Obviously your cpu/mobo/ram are outdated, and sometime soon (when you get the cash) you will likely want to upgrade them. A quality 400w will suffice, but for longevity and upgradability I would go with a ~500w.
  8. If your Zebronics PSU could be trusted to output what is on its label, then yes, it should run a HD7750 no trouble at all. The problem is, a lot of us are skeptical that it can actually output the 15A it claims. If it can manage 80% of it though, or 12A, it still may barely be enough, as long as you're not overclocking and don't have a stack of hard drives and/or lots of fans in your case.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards AMD HD Graphics