Sign in with
Your question

Please I Beg You, My GTX 295 Is Seriously Messed.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2012 3:44:13 PM

So this card has been pretty much the worst thing to happen to my first ever homebuilt computer.
I have no idea why, but for some reason this card cannot run anything. I have attempted to play 3 games on it; Mass Effect 1, Minecraft and Reckoning, and none of them work. Every time I play at some random point my screen goes black, loses signal
and the only way to get every thing working again is to reboot.
I honestly don't know what to do I have tried every combination of settings you can think of and all my drivers are fully updated.
I thought it might have been my power supply but there is no way its not getting enough power. I have a Antec HCG-900.
My system specs are,
i5 3470
Palit nVidia GTX 295
Antec HCG-900
ASRock B75M
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

I just want to play a decent hour of a game without it going black.
Please anyone who can lend a hand will be saving my ass. I have done everything I possibly can.
Ryan.

More about : beg gtx 295 messed

September 15, 2012 3:53:45 PM

Check your temperatures, might be overheating.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:01:58 PM

Just like run rainmeter to monitor gpu temps?
m
l
Related resources
September 15, 2012 4:03:45 PM

Use Afterburner, monitor temps, and run your games in Windowed mode if possible.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:05:44 PM

Np, I'll give it a try now and take note.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:07:27 PM

Was that a used GPU you bought? Is the fan spinning on it when you are playing games? Sounds like it's over-heating to me, too. Are all the power connectors connected to it?
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:18:48 PM

Yeah I bought it used of a friend. Fan is spinning. 1080RPM as says Afterburner. Yeah connected on one 6+2 an a 6 pic-e from my HCG-900.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:28:08 PM

my power supply is more then capable, i dont think that is the issue.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:34:04 PM

Just crashed again. There were no signs of overheating on overloading of any kind. All graphs were flatlining.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:35:02 PM

sounds like a bad PSU now
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:38:21 PM

dude i bought it brand new. okay, so how do i check the psu?
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:42:22 PM

You can use multimeter and probe the power connectors while the PC is running, or you can use another PSU and see if it still trips out. Newegg sells power supply testers, too that connect to the cables. I read the feedback on Newegg and there were a couple people who received bad, brand new, power supplies of the same make and model. It happens.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:51:21 PM

Fair call. So I guess next thing is to check my power supply. What am I looking for anyway while measuring.. whatever it is? Watts? Volts?
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:55:14 PM

ryanphoto said:
Fair call. So I guess next thing is to check my power supply. What am I looking for anyway while measuring.. whatever it is? Watts? Volts?

voltage fluctuation or voltages that are out of tolerance of more than 10%. Might want to check the voltages coming out of the wall socket while you are at it. Sometimes the power feeding the house or one room can be kinda wonky.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:59:29 PM

okay no problem. thanks for your help. really appreciate it. atleast i know the next step. if i use msi afterburner to check my temps, fan speeds etc. there is one graph here for GPU Usage, V.
Min - 0.987
Max - 1.025

not sure if thats anything though.
Im going to get a multimeter off ebay or something so ill see how it goes.
thanks again egilbe
m
l
a c 87 Î Nvidia
September 15, 2012 4:59:47 PM

Ok first off the Antec HCG line is top quality. Literally among the best power supples on the market. So throw an old, used GPU in the mix and what's most likely bad? The brand new high quality power supply or the old, used GPU?

Did the computer work fine before adding the GTX 295?
m
l
September 15, 2012 5:01:04 PM

okay no problem. thanks for your help. really appreciate it. atleast i know the next step. if i use msi afterburner to check my temps, fan speeds etc. there is one graph here for GPU Usage, V.
Min - 0.987
Max - 1.025

not sure if thats anything though.
Im going to get a multimeter off ebay or something so ill see how it goes.
thanks again egilbe
m
l
September 15, 2012 5:04:49 PM

anort3 said:
Ok first off the Antec HCG line is top quality. Literally among the best power supples on the market. So throw an old, used GPU in the mix and what's most likely bad? The brand new high quality power supply or the old, used GPU?

Did the computer work fine before adding the GTX 295?

Sorry anort3 i missed your post. I have never had another card in the computer. I have only just recently build a whole new machine less than 4 weeks ago.
m
l
a c 87 Î Nvidia
September 15, 2012 5:16:16 PM

Does the computer crash at any time other than gaming?

As has been said several times, check your temps. GPU and CPU. HWMonitor will work for that.

If the computer crashes at other random times you need to check your memory. Use memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

Do you have another graphics card you can test with? Reseat the card and try the other power cables from your power supply.
m
l
September 15, 2012 5:21:42 PM

Nope. Doesn't crash any other time but when gaming. Im monitoring HWMonitor now as I am playing ME1.
Guess we will see what happens. Im taking screen shots every so often but I have been playing on the highest-settings for around 10 minutes with no problems? I did have the graphics set lower last time I was playing. Would that have any effect on the card?
m
l
a c 87 Î Nvidia
September 15, 2012 5:26:22 PM

Nope.

I just fininshed playing all 3 ME games through for the second time yesterday. Great games.
m
l
September 15, 2012 5:36:17 PM

dude i am loving mass effect.
i am new to the series and i wanted to do it justice as it deserves and play through all of them instead of going straight to me3 or whatever.
so i picked up the first one. pretty annoying how i can only play it in rounds of half an hour haha
oh well. it hasnt bugged out on me since i got hwmonitor. maybe i knows im checking on it :heink: 
m
l
September 15, 2012 6:31:08 PM

Managed to snap this. This has never happened before. It seemed like the computer when black but it came straight back on and then this message popped up.
Could this be the culprit all along. I did google it. It said something about editing registry files. Not sure I'm up to that without guidance.

m
l
a c 87 Î Nvidia
September 15, 2012 8:46:12 PM

Temps all look good to me. One of the GPUs on the GTX 295 seems to get a bit warmer than the other but it's only reaching 61C and that should be in spec. I'm not familiar with how a dual GPU card like that should behave. I have never had one but when running Sli or Crossfire one card usually runs quite a bit hotter so I would assume it's fine.

From what I can find about that error it's driver related. You are using the latest driver from Nvidia correct? You may need to find an older one. That card is 4 years old.
m
l
September 15, 2012 11:24:21 PM

ryanphoto said:
Managed to snap this. This has never happened before. It seemed like the computer when black but it came straight back on and then this message popped up.
Could this be the culprit all along. I did google it. It said something about editing registry files. Not sure I'm up to that without guidance.

]http://imageshack.us/a/img846/5434/gpufailscreen.th.jpg

This happened to my GT 430 in my HTPC after I wanted to play some games with it and overclocked it a little too far. Try downclocking it a little with MSI afterburner. Or, reinstalling the drivers seem to work.
m
l
September 16, 2012 2:03:45 AM

I have heard some stuff about downgrading the drivers to an older version and making it more stable.
I did try to go down just as a last resort. I downloaded driver 196 and installed it, but upon opening a game it crashed almost instantly this time. Maybe I just have to go through a bunch of drivers till i find a stable one?
m
l
September 16, 2012 2:34:45 AM

Do you think its worth doing a format and reinstall of windows 7?
I don't mind doing that if it has the potential to fix my computer. I'll try some older GeForce drivers first though.
m
l
September 16, 2012 4:53:29 AM

Stability test everything. 50 runs of LinX, 2 loops of Memtest86+, and some Kombustor/Furmark, then we can isolate the graphics card.

Does it crash in DX9 titles? How about DX10? How about DX11? OpenGL? All games, even old ones like Half Life 2? Even when playing in Windowed Mode?

Does it crash when you use MSI Afterburner to downclock it?

EDIT: That error message looks like a driver error. I'd suggest you try a fresh Windows Installation since that only takes an hour or two and you'll probably spend longer messing around with this stuff.
m
l
!