Power supply for GTX 680 GPU

Hello,

I'm buying a GTX 680 GPU and concerned that my Seasonic 700 Watt modular supply will be sufficient. Nvidea says 550 W is enough but I tend to be skeptical of performance claims. Another concern is the cables and connectors. The GTX 680 requires an 8-pin PCI-E connector, which I have (actually it's a six-pin male to 6 plus 2 pin male). But the PSU outputs accept only 6-pin connectors. I don't understand the logic of a 6-pin output feeding an 8-pin GPU input. Should I use two separate outputs...a 6-pin and 2-pin? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about power supply
  1. Usually the graphics card manufacturer puts down more watts than it actually needs, to deal with different manufacturers, different psu's, capacitor aging, etc. You have a good enough power supply. You can use thermaltakes power supply calculator if you are really nervous. I would not use the adapter they give you for the graphics card, I would use the 6+2 Pcie connector directly on your power suppl. The adapter is for PSU's that don't have the connectors but meet the requirements, which are usually older ones.
  2. The calculator shows I need only 550 Watts.

Thanks for the info!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gtx GPUs Power Supplies Systems