So, with all their powers, artifacts, spells and knowledge, a
Deathlord *could* just find a Celestial archway, force their way past
the guardians, and just start laying waste to Heaven?? How far could
he get before being brought down, if they even *could* bring him down?
And that's not even counting their Deathknights and zombie
armies...Geez...Imagine if ALL the Deathlords attacked at once...

Dex,
wondering if there should be some special conditions/side effects for
Gods and Elementals visiting the Underworld...

"Hand-of-Omega" <smilinglord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> So, with all their powers, artifacts, spells and knowledge, a
> Deathlord *could* just find a Celestial archway, force their way past
> the guardians, and just start laying waste to Heaven?? How far could
> he get before being brought down, if they even *could* bring him down?
> And that's not even counting their Deathknights and zombie
> armies...Geez...Imagine if ALL the Deathlords attacked at once...
>
> Dex,
> wondering if there should be some special conditions/side effects for
> Gods and Elementals visiting the Underworld...

Remember:

The prohibition of the Unconquered Sun or the other Celestines laying hands
on the Primordials (dead or otherwise) does not apply to their *servants*.

CB

"Hand-of-Omega"

> So, with all their powers, artifacts, spells and knowledge, a
> Deathlord *could* just find a Celestial archway, force their way past
> the guardians, and just start laying waste to Heaven?? How far could
> he get before being brought down, if they even *could* bring him down?
> And that's not even counting their Deathknights and zombie
> armies...Geez...Imagine if ALL the Deathlords attacked at once...

> Dex,
> wondering if there should be some special conditions/side effects for
> Gods and Elementals visiting the Underworld...

Deathlords and zombies and undead attack Yu-Shan.

The Unconquered Sun looks at them, and lights them on fire.

Some God drinks that lovely wine and makes some snooty comment about
being decadantly bored, and the world is almost right again.

"Zane Graves" <maltlick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Hand-of-Omega"
>
> > So, with all their powers, artifacts, spells and knowledge, a
> > Deathlord *could* just find a Celestial archway, force their way past
> > the guardians, and just start laying waste to Heaven?? How far could
> > he get before being brought down, if they even *could* bring him down?
> > And that's not even counting their Deathknights and zombie
> > armies...Geez...Imagine if ALL the Deathlords attacked at once...
>
> > Dex,
> > wondering if there should be some special conditions/side effects for
> > Gods and Elementals visiting the Underworld...
>
> Deathlords and zombies and undead attack Yu-Shan.
>
> The Unconquered Sun looks at them, and lights them on fire.
>
> Some God drinks that lovely wine and makes some snooty comment about
> being decadantly bored, and the world is almost right again.

Keep in mind that gods in Exalted aren't don't follow the omnipotent,
omniscient Judeochristian mode, tho' - not even the Unconquered Sun.
Theoretically, he *can* be overcome through force of arms.

- David Prokopetz.

"David Prokopetz" <sirbob@penguinking.com> wrote in message news:<2mqej9Fkh37jU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "Zane Graves" <maltlick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Hand-of-Omega"
> >
> > > So, with all their powers, artifacts, spells and knowledge, a
> > > Deathlord *could* just find a Celestial archway, force their way past
> > > the guardians, and just start laying waste to Heaven?? How far could
> > > he get before being brought down, if they even *could* bring him down?
> > > And that's not even counting their Deathknights and zombie
> > > armies...Geez...Imagine if ALL the Deathlords attacked at once...
>
> > > Dex,
> > > wondering if there should be some special conditions/side effects for
> > > Gods and Elementals visiting the Underworld...
> >
> > Deathlords and zombies and undead attack Yu-Shan.
> >
> > The Unconquered Sun looks at them, and lights them on fire.
> >
> > Some God drinks that lovely wine and makes some snooty comment about
> > being decadantly bored, and the world is almost right again.

Given the description of the state of Yu-Shan in GoD, I seriously
wonder if the Celestines would even notice an attack, so absorbed are
they in the Games of Divinity. Even if they heard the blue pole alarms
going off, they'd most likely assume it was some (relatively) minor
disturbance and let the Celestial Lions handle it. Now, if the
Deathlords fight their way into the Jade Pleasure Dome, then it's a
different story, but by then they could have devastated most of
Heaven...

> Keep in mind that gods in Exalted aren't don't follow the omnipotent,
> omniscient Judeochristian mode, tho' - not even the Unconquered Sun.
> Theoretically, he *can* be overcome through force of arms.

And if even a Circle of well-armed, high-essence Solars have a pretty
good chance of taking down the Unconquered Sun (as Geoff has stated),
then how much better a shot at it would a Deathlord or three have?

Dex

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> Given the description of the state of Yu-Shan in GoD, I seriously
> wonder if the Celestines would even notice an attack, so absorbed are
> they in the Games of Divinity. Even if they heard the blue pole alarms
> going off, they'd most likely assume it was some (relatively) minor
> disturbance and let the Celestial Lions handle it. Now, if the
> Deathlords fight their way into the Jade Pleasure Dome, then it's a
> different story, but by then they could have devastated most of
> Heaven...

I suspect they'd notice. The Celestial Incarna can be in multiple
places at once.
--
Stephenls
Geek

David Prokopetz (sirbob@penguinking.com) wrote:
:
<SNIP>

: Keep in mind that gods in Exalted aren't don't follow the omnipotent,
: omniscient Judeochristian mode, tho' - not even the Unconquered Sun.
: Theoretically, he *can* be overcome through force of arms.

Theoretically, yes. But probably not by Deathlords.
Not even a whole bunch of them.

After all, he *is* particularly good at the ass beating,
even for a Celestial god.

~Pax

"Patrick Baldwin" <pax@iridium.mv.com> wrote in message
> David Prokopetz (sirbob@penguinking.com) wrote:
> :
> <SNIP>
>
> : Keep in mind that gods in Exalted aren't don't follow the omnipotent,
> : omniscient Judeochristian mode, tho' - not even the Unconquered Sun.
> : Theoretically, he *can* be overcome through force of arms.
>
> Theoretically, yes. But probably not by Deathlords.
> Not even a whole bunch of them.
>
> After all, he *is* particularly good at the ass beating,
> even for a Celestial god.

Well, IIRC, the Exalted line developer has suggested that the Unconquered
Sun could reasonably be challenged by a well-prepared Circle of Essence 9+
Solar Exalts, provided he could be cut off from any possibility of
assistance from the armies of Heaven - and the Deathlords are comparable to
high-Essence Solars.

- David Prokopetz.

william

David Prokopetz wrote:
> "Patrick Baldwin" <pax@iridium.mv.com> wrote in message
>
>>David Prokopetz (sirbob@penguinking.com) wrote:
>>:
>><SNIP>
>>
>>: Keep in mind that gods in Exalted aren't don't follow the omnipotent,
>>: omniscient Judeochristian mode, tho' - not even the Unconquered Sun.
>>: Theoretically, he *can* be overcome through force of arms.
>>
>>Theoretically, yes. But probably not by Deathlords.
>>Not even a whole bunch of them.
>>
>>After all, he *is* particularly good at the ass beating,
>>even for a Celestial god.
>

> Well, IIRC, the Exalted line developer has suggested that the Unconquered
> Sun could reasonably be challenged by a well-prepared Circle of Essence 9+
> Solar Exalts, provided he could be cut off from any possibility of
> assistance from the armies of Heaven - and the Deathlords are comparable to
> high-Essence Solars.
>
> - David Prokopetz.

No, actually, Deathlords can't be assumed to be comparable to High
Essense Solars.

See, any circle of 9+ Essence Solars are going to be PCs. And in
Exalted, that means everything.

So the answer really is that, yes, an alliance of Deathlords could put
the beat-down on the Unconquered Sun. But only if you can hear the
ghostly sound of players dumpling bucketloads of dice on a dining room
table.

William

"William" <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote in message
> David Prokopetz wrote:
> > "Patrick Baldwin" <pax@iridium.mv.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>David Prokopetz (sirbob@penguinking.com) wrote:
> >>:
> >><SNIP>
> >>
> >>: Keep in mind that gods in Exalted aren't don't follow the omnipotent,
> >>: omniscient Judeochristian mode, tho' - not even the Unconquered Sun.
> >>: Theoretically, he *can* be overcome through force of arms.
> >>
> >>Theoretically, yes. But probably not by Deathlords.
> >>Not even a whole bunch of them.
> >>
> >>After all, he *is* particularly good at the ass beating,
> >>even for a Celestial god.
> >

> > Well, IIRC, the Exalted line developer has suggested that the
Unconquered
> > Sun could reasonably be challenged by a well-prepared Circle of Essence
9+
> > Solar Exalts, provided he could be cut off from any possibility of
> > assistance from the armies of Heaven - and the Deathlords are comparable
> > high-Essence Solars.
> >
> > - David Prokopetz.
>
> No, actually, Deathlords can't be assumed to be comparable to High
> Essense Solars.
>
> See, any circle of 9+ Essence Solars are going to be PCs. And in
> Exalted, that means everything.

As far as Exalted's core assumptions go, PC-ness means only that the
characters are presumed to be the only ones whose actions are capable of
determining the fate of Creation. This is well and good if offing the
Unconquered Sun is such an event, but otherwise... ;)

- David Prokopetz.

"David Prokopetz" <sirbob@penguinking.com> wrote in message news:<2mqej9Fkh37jU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "Zane Graves" <maltlick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Hand-of-Omega"
> >
> > > So, with all their powers, artifacts, spells and knowledge, a
> > > Deathlord *could* just find a Celestial archway, force their way past
> > > the guardians, and just start laying waste to Heaven?? How far could
> > > he get before being brought down, if they even *could* bring him down?
> > > And that's not even counting their Deathknights and zombie
> > > armies...Geez...Imagine if ALL the Deathlords attacked at once...
>
> > > Dex,
> > > wondering if there should be some special conditions/side effects for
> > > Gods and Elementals visiting the Underworld...
> >
> > Deathlords and zombies and undead attack Yu-Shan.
> >
> > The Unconquered Sun looks at them, and lights them on fire.
> >
> > Some God drinks that lovely wine and makes some snooty comment about
> > being decadantly bored, and the world is almost right again.
>
> Keep in mind that gods in Exalted aren't don't follow the omnipotent,
> omniscient Judeochristian mode, tho' - not even the Unconquered Sun.
> Theoretically, he *can* be overcome through force of arms.

Yes. However, the Unconquered Sun gave his priests the power to set
the undead aflame.

I doubt he doesn't have something similar to that up his sleeve. So
sending an army of dead things after him = not the smartest thing to
do.

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2mrj2bFqdvbvU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:
>
> > Given the description of the state of Yu-Shan in GoD, I seriously
> > wonder if the Celestines would even notice an attack, so absorbed are
> > they in the Games of Divinity. Even if they heard the blue pole alarms
> > going off, they'd most likely assume it was some (relatively) minor
> > disturbance and let the Celestial Lions handle it. Now, if the
> > Deathlords fight their way into the Jade Pleasure Dome, then it's a
> > different story, but by then they could have devastated most of
> > Heaven...
>
> I suspect they'd notice. The Celestial Incarna can be in multiple
> places at once.

WoD Celestines certainly are, but are Exalted's? It makes some sense,
given that they're in the sky as well as in Yu-Shan; but those might
be more properly thought of as some form of shadow projections, since
they show no individual independance (the sun, moon and stars are
recognizably constant in their motion, no matter what their selves in
Heaven are doing). IIRC, only Luna has actually been *seen* going to
and fro in the Earth...and she breaks the rules as a matter of course.

Has the multiple location quality of the Celestines been specifically
noted anywhere?

Dex

maltlick@yahoo.com (Zane Graves) wrote in message news:<3a33e414.0407272240.552a4255@posting.google.com>...

> Deathlords and zombies and undead attack Yu-Shan.
>
> The Unconquered Sun looks at them, and lights them on fire.

Another point I forgot to make about this: Do we know that the DLs are
as vunerable to the face of the sun as, say, vampires? The Zenith's
caste power specifically has no effect on Deathknights or Deathlords;
now, Zeniths are merely pale reflections of their lord's majesty, but
still, it's suggestive.
But, yeah, in the above circumstance, their armies are toast. Unless
they've prepared for that, and have some First Age artifact or spell
that can counter it, perhaps be enveloping large parts of the
Celestial City in an inpenetrable Stygian fog of darkness...

Remember also that it's highly likely that each DL can only be
destroyed in one particular way. It's unlikely that the US knows *any*
of their secret weaknesses without long research (plot-hook!). On top
of all that, a sneak attack would certainly be possible, given that
the DLs actions cannot be seen or predicted by any of the Fate-tending
beings in Heaven...

Incidentally, what happens to a Celestine that IS destroyed? Do they
simply reform in Yu-Shan, like some other spirits reform elsewhere?

Dex

> Well, IIRC, the Exalted line developer has suggested that the Unconquered
> Sun could reasonably be challenged by a well-prepared Circle of Essence 9+
> Solar Exalts, provided he could be cut off from any possibility of
> assistance from the armies of Heaven - and the Deathlords are comparable
> high-Essence Solars.
>
> - David Prokopetz.

To be technically correct, the Deathlords are more similar to Essence 9+
*ghosts* in Exalted. Exalted Player's Guide makes it clear to me that
Deathlords are extremely bad ass ghosts.

This beggars a question - can a sufficiently powerful ghost Attune
artifacts, use Hearthstones, and perhaps even learn Abyssal Charms?

CB

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:33:16 -0400, William
<wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote:
>No, actually, Deathlords can't be assumed to be comparable to High
>Essense Solars.

Just reading Blood & Salt : especially the chapter on Dis, the city of
Lintha Dead .

Since the Lintha Infernal Exalted is supposed to be a deterrent enough
for the Shadow Prince (aka bodhishavata of...) to not invade the city,
and since the IE is (nearly) fully stated, does that mean we now have
a good guideline to create full character sheet for Deathlords ?

Guillaume

Guillaume JAY wrote:

> Just reading Blood & Salt : especially the chapter on Dis, the city of
> Lintha Dead .

> Since the Lintha Infernal Exalted is supposed to be a deterrent enough
> for the Shadow Prince (aka bodhishavata of...) to not invade the city,
> and since the IE is (nearly) fully stated, does that mean we now have
> a good guideline to create full character sheet for Deathlords ?

We've had that since forever. Mask of Winters is statted up in the
corebook.
--

Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<2mrutsFqib3fU2@uni-berlin.de>...
> Guillaume JAY wrote:
>
> > Just reading Blood & Salt : especially the chapter on Dis, the city of
> > Lintha Dead .
>
> > Since the Lintha Infernal Exalted is supposed to be a deterrent enough
> > for the Shadow Prince (aka bodhishavata of...) to not invade the city,
> > and since the IE is (nearly) fully stated, does that mean we now have
> > a good guideline to create full character sheet for Deathlords ?
>
> We've had that since forever. Mask of Winters is statted up in the
> corebook.

I think he means as opposed to the deliberately-understatted version
in the core book.

- David Prokopetz.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:39:12 -0700, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
wrote:
>> Since the Lintha Infernal Exalted is supposed to be a deterrent enough
>> for the Shadow Prince (aka bodhishavata of...) to not invade the city,
>> and since the IE is (nearly) fully stated, does that mean we now have
>> a good guideline to create full character sheet for Deathlords ?
>
>We've had that since forever. Mask of Winters is statted up in the
>corebook

And in the corebook, lunars were masters of illusion...

So, I'm not very confident of MoW's stats (even if, checking
them for this post, he's stronger than I remembered). It would have
been nice to have them rewritten in Abyssal.

Guillaume

"Intelligroove" <kaiu_keiichi@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Well, IIRC, the Exalted line developer has suggested that the
Unconquered
> > Sun could reasonably be challenged by a well-prepared Circle of Essence
9+
> > Solar Exalts, provided he could be cut off from any possibility of
> > assistance from the armies of Heaven - and the Deathlords are comparable
> > high-Essence Solars.
> >
> > - David Prokopetz.
>
> To be technically correct, the Deathlords are more similar to Essence 9+
> *ghosts* in Exalted. Exalted Player's Guide makes it clear to me that
> Deathlords are extremely bad ass ghosts.
>
> This beggars a question - can a sufficiently powerful ghost Attune
> artifacts, use Hearthstones, and perhaps even learn Abyssal Charms?

I think it's a given - they've been directly empowered by the Malfeans.
They're approximately what you'd get if a ghost could undergo Exaltation.

- David Prokopetz.

> Remember also that it's highly likely that each DL can only be
> destroyed in one particular way. It's unlikely that the US knows *any*
> of their secret weaknesses without long research (plot-hook!). On top
> of all that, a sneak attack would certainly be possible, given that
> the DLs actions cannot be seen or predicted by any of the Fate-tending
> beings in Heaven...

This the Unconquered Sun, emperor of the gods, slayer of the Primordials,
lord of Heaven. He's not some schmutz.

I highly doubt that such shambling slaves as the Deathlords would really be
a threat to the Unconquered Sun, especially considering how their
oblivion-tainted nature makes them especially vulnerable to righteous and
holy powers.

Further, Jupiter, as a loyal subject can supply him (or her) with any secret
he needs if he doesn't have it already. Once they come into Creation proper
and come under the light of the Houses of the Maidens, they become a part of
the Tapestry, in terms of prediction, if not direct Fate manipulation.
Notice that we never see Mask of Winters outside of a Shadowland.

> Incidentally, what happens to a Celestine that IS destroyed? Do they
> simply reform in Yu-Shan, like some other spirits reform elsewhere?
>
> Dex

I don't think that the canon has ever answered this question. I like to
think that each of the Incarna are fetiches of the Primordial Gaia, and thus
killing one would cause it to be reborn, but perhaps differently, changing a
fundamental aspect of Creation. But this is purely my thought.

CB

Guillaume JAY <gjay_diespammer-die@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<e8fhg095vokso4vc9ovg9t98ggcsg8s50n@4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:33:16 -0400, William
> <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote:
> >No, actually, Deathlords can't be assumed to be comparable to High
> >Essense Solars.
>
> Just reading Blood & Salt : especially the chapter on Dis, the city of
> Lintha Dead .
>
> Since the Lintha Infernal Exalted is supposed to be a deterrent enough
> for the Shadow Prince (aka bodhishavata of...) to not invade the city,

Haven't read that yet, so I'll just ask: Is that because he's afraid
of getting his tail whipped...or because he doesn't want to upset the
delicate, informal truce between the Malfeans and the Yozis? Abyssals
pretty much states that the two forces usually avoid each other for
the latter reason...

Dex

"Intelligroove" <kaiu_keiichi@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2mu5d0Fr3oslU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > Remember also that it's highly likely that each DL can only be
> > destroyed in one particular way. It's unlikely that the US knows *any*
> > of their secret weaknesses without long research (plot-hook!). On top
> > of all that, a sneak attack would certainly be possible, given that
> > the DLs actions cannot be seen or predicted by any of the Fate-tending
> > beings in Heaven...
>
> This the Unconquered Sun, emperor of the gods, slayer of the Primordials,
> lord of Heaven. He's not some schmutz.

Wasn't the whole point of the Exalted that the US *could not* slay the
Primordials, tho? He came in all big and bad...AFTER they'd already
surrendered.

> I highly doubt that such shambling slaves as the Deathlords would really be
> a threat to the Unconquered Sun, especially considering how their
> oblivion-tainted nature makes them especially vulnerable to righteous and
> holy powers.

Source, please? I know their servants are, but who said anything about
them attacking the Celestines? They're running amok through the
streets of Yu-Shan.
Hmm, I wonder if the US is vunerable to high-level Necromancy?

> Further, Jupiter, as a loyal subject can supply him (or her) with any secret
> he needs if he doesn't have it already. Once they come into Creation proper
> and come under the light of the Houses of the Maidens, they become a part of
> the Tapestry, in terms of prediction, if not direct Fate manipulation.
> Notice that we never see Mask of Winters outside of a Shadowland.

Reference for that, please? Incidentally, does Fate prediction
actually work *in* Yu-Shan? I don't recall any word on that
subject...Good point about the Maiden of Secrets, tho this might just
mean that they'd attempt to take her out first...Hmm, a plan is
forming...^^

> > Incidentally, what happens to a Celestine that IS destroyed? Do they
> > simply reform in Yu-Shan, like some other spirits reform elsewhere?
> >
> I don't think that the canon has ever answered this question. I like to
> think that each of the Incarna are fetiches of the Primordial Gaia, and thus
> killing one would cause it to be reborn, but perhaps differently, changing a
> fundamental aspect of Creation. But this is purely my thought.

Hmm, which leads to another possible theory of how Creation might
Change to become the WoD. After all, there is no Unconquered Sun in
the WoD, but there is Helios...

Also, your earlier question raises an interesting point: Do the gods
still have their inbuilt prohibition against attacking the
Primordials? Does this extend to the Primordials' modern forms as
Malfeans and Yozis?

Dex

On 30 Jul 2004 09:07:10 -0700, smilinglord@hotmail.com (Hand-of-Omega)
wrote:
>Haven't read that yet, so I'll just ask: Is that because he's afraid
>of getting his tail whipped...or because he doesn't want to upset the

"Even if the Silver Prince himself came to Dis [City of the lintha
Dead], it is likely that Dukhanta [the IE] would come forth to oppose
to oppose him and protects the interest of the Demons Princes"

But, yes, also, there is a sentence about how being an embassy of the
Yozi is also a protection.

BTW, are Yozis exactly the same thing as a Primordial, and if yes,
where is the soul/fetichs of Gaia and Autochton ?

Guillaume

Guillaume JAY wrote:

> BTW, are Yozis exactly the same thing as a Primordial, and if yes,
> where is the soul/fetichs of Gaia and Autochton ?

The common answer is that the Five Elemental Dragons are the souls of
Gaia. The more accurate answer is that the question has never even been
raised in the books, and so never answered, either.

The Yozis aren't quite Primordials. For one thing, they're bound and
broken.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike

>This the Unconquered Sun, emperor of the gods, slayer of the Primordials,

The Unconquered Sun didn't slay diddly.

TRENDING THREADS