Sign in with
Your question

Anyone tested Driver 306.23?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2012 4:37:25 PM

Running a EVGA GTX 570 and wondering if its more stable than 301.42? I don't have any games that can benefit from the update but does it offer better stability? the only reason i might opt to download it is if it can solve this rather annoying issue i have wherein sometimes the driver crashes "after" closing a game ex. Skyrim/Dota 2. It does successfully recover and i can play again right away with absolutely no issue but it does get tad irritating haha

Thanks!

More about : tested driver 306

a b Î Nvidia
September 15, 2012 7:58:54 PM

Well, if it just happened when you updated the drivers, then yea you might want to change them out. If it makes a difference, I use 306.23 in my 460/250 and it works fine.
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:22:05 AM

It started happening a month after i got the card, along the way updating it to 301.42
had the card for 4 months now and the only problem or issue it has is the driver randomly crashing and 2 instances of FPS issue where a restart fixed them.

All crashes are either flash related or totally random like after i close Skyrim then play a video it crashes, or opening my save files for tweaking it crashes or open a browser then watch a video it crashes! merely doing something immediately after closing a game causes a driver crash but not always. It's a very baffling issue! if anyone might know a cause or have a fix i'm all ears :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
September 18, 2012 6:23:32 AM

What are your full system specifications?
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:30:04 AM

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU: Intel Core i5-3550
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
HD: 500GB Seagate
PSU: Cougar CMX 700w 80+ Bronze Certified

Yeah i know i need more ram, will increase that when i can and i also know the PSU could be better but it was the only one available in my local computer store and i intentionally got the 700w because it's reviews only truly rated it as 550w w/c is more than enough for my system.

Thanks!

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 18, 2012 6:39:40 AM

Just read about your power supply on hardwaresecrets.com and that as well as my knowledge of power supplies tells me that that power supply is actually a pretty good unit, as Cougar actually does a good job. They did not recommend the power supply because of a design flaw, but it was a flaw that did not affect the delivery of the power supply.

Maybe try a couple of different drivers to check which one works properly. Also check the temperatures, as you have an EVGA GTX570, which is using a cooler that is not overly efficient.

I can't see anything wrong with the hardware aspect.
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:01:47 AM

Yup i have absolutely no issue with the Cougar PSU i only mentioned "could be better" because most people would recommend a Corsair and as much as i agree availability is the problem lol

A month ago i reverted back to 296.10 out of frustration but the problem persisted so i went back to 301.42 so that i could get back the performance boost for Skyrim. The temps are fine, it runs at 40-45 on idle(depending on weather) around 61-64 with Skyrim(max setting) 61 on Dota 2 and at most was at 71 while playing a massive battle in ETW.

I also ruled out any issue with the hardware because aside from the random crashes everything works fine! I can play hours without a single problem and if it does crash when i exit a game i can immediately continue playing for hours again without a hitch so yeah haha i'm at a loss, so now i just ignore it., as long as it does not effect gameplay i dont really mind.

It's more likely a software issue and might be fixed when i do a reformat in the future, I'l wait for a bit and read around to see if the new driver can potentially fix my issue but for now i'm content.

Thanks for the time and sorry for the long read xD
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 18, 2012 7:11:37 AM

Running it on my 560ti 448 cores FTW edition at 1ghz....

I like the edition of FXAA with the new drivers on all applications it makes everything look nice and gives you slightly higher FPS!
m
l
September 22, 2012 3:30:02 PM

Hey guys, bringing this thread back-up to ask some help regarding my driver crashes.

Here is the latest crash report:
Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20120922-2316.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8005BE04E0
BCP2: FFFFF8800FFDC4D4
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Can a PC wiz shed some light to how this crash keeps randomly occurring?

Thanks in advance!
m
l
September 25, 2012 3:39:20 PM

Anyone? please? i'm getting desperate lol

Anyway an update it seems to happen mostly later on in the day, when I've been using my PC for hours but it can still happen anytime but more common in the later hrs.

EDIT: it happened again, but with these lines being the only different in the report:

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

WD-20120925-2347.dmp
BCP1: FFFFFA80075B2010

Might this hint what is causing the problem?

m
l
!